Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

HINGE GLUE

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:27 AM
newflier1
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HINGE GLUE

Can someone tell me what is "hinge glue"? I'm building a model that has flaps and since the CA hinges are only accessible to one side, the instructions are saying to use "hinge glue" and NOT thin CA glue. I have never heard of 'hinge glue'. Can someone tell me if there is a substitute that I can use? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:33 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: HINGE GLUE

Me niether
I'm betting my lunch they just mean CA,,,
"hinge glue" is what ever glue you use on the hinge,, right?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:43 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There IS a type of glue called "Hinge Glue", but if you're using pinned hinges or Hinge Points for the flaps, you can use pretty much anything from wood glue to epoxy. My choice would be 30-min epoxy.

I also usually put a small dab of vaseline on the pivot and heat it up with a lighter so it melts into the pivot - this prevents glue from getting in there.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:04 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: newflier1

Can someone tell me what is "hinge glue"? I'm building a model that has flaps and since the CA hinges are only accessible to one side, the instructions are saying to use "hinge glue" and NOT thin CA glue. I have never heard of 'hinge glue'. Can someone tell me if there is a substitute that I can use? Thanks.

Pacer makes an adhesive called " hinge glue " it remains somewhat flexable when dry. It sounds like the manufacturer is using CA hinges to save cost but discovered that they can't be installed with thin CA because of of access issuesand mayhave found that the use of epoxy or any glue that dries hard may create an issue with the hinge at the flex point. I would replace the CA hinge with a good quality flat pinned hinge installed with either epoxy or poly glue.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

It sounds like the manufacturer is using CA hinges to save cost but discovered that they can't be installed with thin CA because of of access issues and may have found that the use of epoxy or any glue that dries hard may create an issue with the hinge at the flex point. I would replace the CA hinge with a good quality flat pinned hinge installed with either epoxy or poly glue.
No, only the flaps on this kit use hinge pins - this is fairly common on scale kits.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:30 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

This leads me to beleive that the manufacturer included CA hinges to be used with the flaps.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM
newflier1

Yes - the ARF has CAhinges "pre-installed" in the flaps. The instructions just say NOTto use thin CA glue since you can only get to them from one side. They say to use 'hinge glue". I've never heard of hinge glue.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:48 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

newflier1,
You don't mention what airplane.

There are hinges called "pin hinges" and a number of other hinges that are made of hard, flexible plastic. Those used to be glued in with epoxy. If the instructions for your airplane have included hard hinges, they're glued in nowadays with epoxy or hinge glue, a product that used to be sold under the Pacer brand name. It came in a very small somewhat flat bottle.

OK, your last post helps some.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PAAPT55
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 AM
newflier1

The plane is a Hangar 9 Spitfire. They are CA hinges (100% sure of this). The issue is that when you install the flaps you DONOT have access to BOTH sides. When you use CA hinges, you are suppose to apply thin CA glue to BOTH sides of the hinge. The instructions state this fact and say to use 'hinge glue' instead of thin CA glue. Hope that clarifies things a bit.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
da Rock

If you can only glue one side at a time, there are a couple of glues that will work with CA type hinges.

The Pacer hinge glue is one. Epoxy is another.

I would guess they flap installation has you apply glue to hinge the wing or the flap, place the hinges into whichever you chose, then apply glue and slide the hinges into whichever part doesn't have hinges inserted yet.

30minute epoxy would work for that. So would the hinge glue. One of my 2 LHSs still sells the stuff.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 AM
newflier1

Thanks. I think I am just going to use 30 minute epoxy and use some light grease or vasiline to protect the flap from getting glued to the trailing edge of the wing where it rests aginst. I might just check everything for alignment first, glue the CA hinges into the flaps (let dry) then glue the flaps with the hinges into the wing. That should work.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 AM
da Rock

OK, now we got something to go on..........

I built my H9 Spitfire without referring to the manual for much. Been doing this for over 50 years and usually do things in the easiest sequency, which often isn't the way some mfg's suggest.

You actually have perfectly adequate access to both sides. CA works well, and is easy to apply.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
da Rock

Thanks. I think I am just going to use 30 minute epoxy and use some light grease or vasiline to protect the flap from getting glued to the trailing edge of the wing where it rests aginst. I might just check everything for alignment first, glue the CA hinges into the flaps (let dry) then glue the flaps with the hinges into the wing. That should work.

A couple of suggestions.

The use of epoxy with fuzzy CA hinges really has some drawbacks. To apply CA safely to those hinges was dead simple for me. I saw the very slight risk, and simply had some pieces of paper towel handy. Get the flap positioned with the hinges in place, and simply open the flaps. Apply the CA to the inside of all hinges and turn the wing over. Close the flaps to about 1/4 open and apply the CA to the outside.

Those hinges are going to suck in the CA just like aileron, rudder, and elevator hinges do. If you get any CA anywhere else, just like happens gluing ailerons, rudders, or elevators, just pick it off with the paper towels. I start every CA hinge gluing task with a little stack of paper towel pieces. Throw each one away as it is used.

Those flaps were a piece of cake.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 AM
da Rock

suggestions still outstanding..............

Epoxy and CA hinges isn't a real good matchup.

You know how CA hinges sometimes are stiff after the CA kicks off? That won't happen if you continue to flex the joint while waiting for the kick. Not much of a wait. Just flex every so often.

What happens is the CA wicks everywhere inside and across the hingeline both ways and stays in the hingeline where the flex has to happen. If we flex that joint while the CA is still wet, a significant amount is squeezed out of that flex line. If there was a lot in there, that is. So when it kicks, there isn't much in the flexline to stiffen it up.

With epoxy however, it isn't going to squeeze out very well. And the stuff is a gooey, sticky mess that takes skill and luck to get where you want and nowhere else. Flexing the flaps might just get more epoxy into the flexline. And the vaseline deal works with hard hinges great, but really doesn't match up to fuzzy CA hinges well at all. CA hinges have an excellent characteristic. They very often glue the hinge slot back together stronger than it was before the knife sliced it. They glue that split trailing edge right where it needs even more strength now that a hinge is going to be trying to open up that slot. Wipe some vaseline around near there and it'll penetrate both ways from that flexline right into where CA would have been restoring strength and epoxy is going to need help to penetrate.

I've never tried what you suggest with the vaseline on CA hinges because my experience gluing stuff over the years definitely leans away from the idea. I really can't see a way to insure the vaseline stays in a very, very narrow line. And I really don't want to degrade the glue joint down into the slots on either side of that hingeline.

Good thing is that CA'ing the flaps really is pretty easy.

Just remember to epoxy the torque rods in before you CA those hinges. P.S. I help insure the epoxy doing that job doesn't lock the flaps to the wing buy using small pieces of wax paper between the wing and the epoxy/flap. It pulls right out after the epoxy is cured.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 AM
MinnFlyer

Oh, I see. Sorry, I misunderstood
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 AM
da Rock

Oh yeah, another suggestion.

CA'ing hinges is SO MUCH EASIER if you use a vinyl pipette. So much easier.

(I think MinnFlyer suggests that in one of his reviews, btw.)
Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64637.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	1534508  
Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM
newflier1

Thanks da rock. I'll take a close look at it tonight. I have some good analytical pipettes -dont worry. If you say there is enough room to get to the 'underside' of the flap - I'll take your word on it. I really didn't look at it that closely yet as I was still working on the mechanicl retracts. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM
da Rock

You're welcome.

The only problem I had was holding the wing so I could get to the hinges, the flap open the right amount, the CA pipette at the right angle, and the potato chip bag and Dr.Pepper glass.

You really can't imagine the problem you have explaining the chip bonded to some odd part of your person.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:29 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: da Rock

You really can't imagine the problem you have explaining the chip bonded to some odd part of your person.
How odd? Lookin' at your avatar "odd" could be all over the map ...

Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

ORIGINAL: da Rock

How odd? Lookin' at your avatar ''odd'' could be all over the map ...

You got dat right...... yip, yip, yip YUP!

What I'd haveta' explain was why I hadn't eaten the chip off my person. And why there wasn't a hole where it had been.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:08 PM
poheller
My Feedback: (34)

go to robart.com look at the ZAPGLUE they make Hinge Glue
Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Fish07

Can someone tell me what is ''hinge glue''? I'm building a model that has flaps and since the CA hinges are only accessible to one side, the instructions are saying to use ''hinge glue'' and NOT thin CA glue. I have never heard of 'hinge glue'. Can someone tell me if there is a substitute that I can use? Thanks.

Hello , i use Gorilla glue ,great for hinges!!!! try it.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 AM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

Defenetly best Hinge Glue, use this stuff on ANY HINGE with success, even 150 CC Airframes, drys fast and cleans up with a little water and hols up good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.