Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gyro on the aileron to stabilize in the wind

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gyro on the aileron to stabilize in the wind

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM
dditch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro on the aileron to stabilize in the wind

I'm starting this thread to bring some information to anyone interested in learning to add a Helicopter gyro to the aileron axis of a plane for the purpose of stabilizing in the wind.

I've done this on and off since the 90's. It's not my idea and I'd seen people with large scale planes who had mechanical spinning heli gyros in their planes to stabilize it during flight. There are a number of videos where people install gyros for different purposes but some of them I've watch use very poor descriptions of what the gyro does or tells you things that are not true (like using the word "autopilot").

I'm both a fixed wing pilot and a Helicopter pilot. Spending decades in helicopters gave me a good understanding of Gyros. Now adays, you can get cheap piezo gyros for as little as $20 that I've found work just FINE for use in airplanes. The problem is getting to understand them and how to install and test it out. Because if you do it wrong, the concequences are pretty bad.

There's been a surge of 3 axis gyros for flybarless helicopters, so not just stabilizing the tail but also the roll/pitch axis as well. Maybe not a surge, but more like an explosion.

I installed a spare gyro onto a little foam RTF cause I got it to use for flight training people who don't own a plane. Something to allow them to "try out". I also wanted to not have to worry too much about wind gusts making the plane "jitttery" so I put the gyro in it.

This is not a thread to argue the question of "gyros are cheating", but to ask questions on how to do it. Me personally, I see no difference between a small plane having a gyro and flying a big plane that is less effected by the wind. I have a 75CC 100"+ Carden and it does not have a gyro because it does not need one. But to fly during lunchtime for 30 minutes, pulling the Bandito out is not very pratical. I've flown my son's trainer in pretty gusty winds but when I get a first time flyer, they get spooked by the wind. I'm trying to bring more enjoyment to people who are frustraited to the point that they are afraid to take off or land in the wind because the plane may jerk or flip over on them.

Here's the video of the installation.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T00kILPOppU[/youtube]
Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Gyro on the aileron to stabilize in the wind

does it matter that the gyro is not mounted in the center of the rotation axis? (read center of the plane) I know it is not that much off in the vid but would it affect the gyro in anyway?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
victorzamora

Default RE: Gyro on the aileron to stabilize in the wind

If I understand the control algorithms correctly, it does NOT matter where it's placed.  I don't know how well it'd work on a plane, but I think it'll work okay.  I think that the 3-axis gyros are only heading hold, where as for a plane you really want a rate mode gyro.  Maybe turning the gains down a lot would work, but then a $200 gyro isn't much good turned down that much.

A cheap way to experiment is to buy 3 of the GY401 knockoffs from HobbyKing so you can experiment with rates.  An even lighter option is to buy three BlueArrow Nano Gyro from HobbyKing.  They're not ground-adjustable, but they're 2.3 grams a piece.

To install the latter gyro, just plug it up between the receiver and the servo.  Then twist the gyro to see what orientation it's supposed to be in.  Double-sided tape in that orientation and you're set!  Just try to make it as perpendicular to an axis as possible, if that makes any sense.