Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Windy day plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Windy day plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windy day plane

Hey everyone, when its windy and you just got to go fly, what plane does the trick for you? Here in texas if you dont learn to fly in the wind then you wont get to fly much at all, so that being said my personal faverite is my slowpoke sport 40. I just love flying this plane in the wind, we had about a 10-15 mph steady wind today and I flew three tanks thru it. Im trying to add a pic but it wont let me.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
cfircav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Windy day plane

My old Sr. Falcon was my anytime, anywhere flyer. It was stable yet surprisingly agile for its size and with a .61 it could handle most strong winds with little effort.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
ES CONTROL

Super Sportster 60   ( Kit)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
scooterinvegas

An overpowered Ultra Stick
Old 01-06-2011, 03:49 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: SCOTT42

Hey everyone, when its windy and you just got to go fly, what plane does the trick for you? Here in texas if you dont learn to fly in the wind then you wont get to fly much at all, so that being said my personal faverite is my slowpoke sport 40. I just love flying this plane in the wind, we had about a 10-15 mph steady wind today and I flew three tanks thru it. Im trying to add a pic but it wont let me.
I fly most all of my planes in the wind now, but not heavy winds because I just don't enjoy flying in high winds that much. I think you can learn with each aircraft the various techniques used to fly them in windy condtions. Some will certainly handle winds better than others. I do find that I tend to fly the heavier aircraft more when it is windy, the only exception probably being the Hangar 9 Twist.

It was so windy one day, I saw a guy hand launching a twist because it kept blowing over on the runway and he could not take off normally. Once he was flying, he was flying backwards in extremely strong winds. The thing reminded me of birds just hanging aloft in high winds! When he was ready to land, he would just drop it straight down on the ground with about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. It was amazing
Old 01-06-2011, 05:14 AM
Oberst
Banned

[&:] A kite would be good with a very long string.

Seriously, any trainer would be good. When I'm not flying my scale planes because of the wind, people start showing up at my Club with their trainers.

Pete
Old 01-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Over the years, I have found that any of the good old "sticks" are the best wind flyers. My 4-Star 60 isn't bad.

sp
Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

The old Sig Kougar was great in the wind with a knife-like little dihedral swept wing, somewhat heavy wing loading and tough fuselage for those rougher landings.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Villa

Hi GarySS
I too had a SIG Kougar. Loved that plane. It had a .60 K&B. It was great in high winds; tremendous adrenaline rush during landings. However, after many rough landings the rigid foam in the wings would crumble and loosen the landing gear blocks. That was a bad problem for me because I just love to do many landings. Now I only build and fly SPAD planes. My landing gears now can probably take a 6 foot free fall with no damage. Just a couple of days ago I had my SPAD Swept Wing Pusher Canard up on a windy day with plenty of gusts. On the first take off the plane was being buffeted so much that I wished I had not taken off. The first landing went well till a few feet off the ground. A gust rolled the plane past 45 degrees and I corrected and hit the ground at the same time. The prop hit the ground and killed the engine. Zero damage.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My high wind plane was always the 60 size Kaos but any of the pattern type planes are good. 10-15mph is the normal afternoon wind speed in my area so my plane could be anything from an Extra to a Hots?? Whatever I have with me. If you can handle the Poke in high winds you shouldn't have problems with anything.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Ed_Moorman

I swear you can fly a Stick in a hurricane, but I've never tested it. A 40 sized Ultra Stick with an OS .55 or JBA .56 is what I like.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 AM
bbbair

Great Planes P51D, with an OS 70 4S.

That plane is made to cut the wind!

We had a Warbird rally last year that had some heavy wind, I was one of three people flying!
(I love an audience )

Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 AM
jhatton

Any plane with a top speed at least as fast as the wind is blowing works for me
Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any plane with high visibility. I like flourescent orange strips on the LE. Someone had a plane with flourescent green wings and it popped out really well. Have a clear contrast between top and bottom. You've got to be able to see it really well and orient to it quickly. Good stable ground handling really helps too. My biggest problem with wind is getting blown over while taxiing.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:37 AM
steinywi

Reactor Mono-wing! Flew it in anything up to 35mph!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

The Sig Kougar and King Kobra are great durable windy day planes. But ..... you have to build them (neither are ARF's). Bob
Old 01-08-2011, 06:17 AM
SKYHI1

hi,

I don't mind flying my 40 size stick on windy days. You just have to land nose into the wind. But, for those bad days when I have second thoughts about flying at all due to the high winds here in Illinois I fly my Super Kaos 40.

Thanks
Frank
Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM
tacx

When it's windy I pull out the old U-CAN-DO 60. I actually like to fly it in the wind.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 PM
tgeorge

WIND PROBLEM??
Not forme and.my flying buddy "Crazy George"!! A stash of kites in the trunk of my carwas always available to us when we went to RICHMOND FIELD. Kite"trains" (multiple kites on a single line) and stunt kites (kites controlled by dual lines) kept us flying while other club members were patiently awaiting calmer winds!.

Tony
Old 01-09-2011, 10:57 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Hangar 9 Twist 40. Nice thick airfoil, can hover in the wind backwards if breezy enough, or just hang there and do continuous spins (like a kite on a string).
Old 01-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Dzlstunter

It's interesting to see "old hands" note that almost any plane can be flown in the wind. But I remember vividly a time when I was learning to fly my trainer (SIG LT-40), and a full-scale and RC pilot who was helping me said: "The airplane doesn't 'feel' the wind," implying that it was my job as the pilot to navigate through the "ocean of air" in which aircraft operate.

Well that's true, but to a novice it often seems that the wind sure does push the plane around in ways he may not yet be skillful enough to handle!

This will be especially true when he/she is trying to learn how to take off and land safelyand without damage to the aircraft.

Dzl
Old 01-09-2011, 12:24 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's why I think visibility and ground handling are the keys.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are all right about one thing, if you can't fly in the wind your not going to fly much. Foiled planes handle the wind better than trainers flat bottom wing planes. Trainers are slower and tend to get tossed around more because of wing design. Foiled wings cut the air better and the planes usually fly faster. Any airplane as heavy as the wind speed will not typically be effected by the wind. Having a little stronger engine will also help in over coming wind effects. As far as take off's and landing is concerned, if it's going to get blown off runway then I'm to do something else that day. You ever tried hand launching a 25 lb. plane in a 30 mph wind. That would be fun to watch from a very safe distance. Leroy

Fly safe don't get nuts:
Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two tough issues for windy flying are dihedral and large vertical tail fins, rudders and canopies. All of these produce sudden roll moments from cross winds gust.

Consequently, a stick with no dihedral, minimal box fuselage, no canopy and reasonable vertical stab and rudder area makes for a good windy flier. There are of course other sport designs that fit these criteria.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:00 PM
aa2dd

overpowered outragous

aa2dd

Bruce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.