Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

first nitro

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:42 PM
at101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first nitro

I have been flyingpark fliersfour about 5 years now and I want to get a nitro plane. Do I have to get a trainer or can I get something else
Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: first nitro

Depends a lot on the type of park fliers you have been flying. There are some very gentle nitro planes that aren't trainers. If you belong or go out to a good club there is usually someone that will buddy box with you on a club trainer to see how well you do. I even have a buddy box set up to my Hots fun fly plane, it's not a trainer!!! I have used it to show people the difference of different types of planes. The Hots I have would be more of a third or forth plane for someone.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, it really depends on what you have been flying already. There is some pretty advanced park flyer stuff. The only thing I would say is maybe start with a plane that doesn't have a cowl, like a Stik. That way the engine is right out there and easy to get at. Not that having a cowl on the first one is a huge issue as long as everything is set up correctly; it just might be a little more convenient having the engine out in the open as you learn about it.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 AM
at101

I fly a mini P-51 with 4 channels
Old 01-11-2011, 05:23 AM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

I would recomend a 40 size stick, you just cant beat a stick probly the best allround flying plane out there. I love my 60 size stick I have.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you already have basic orientation figured out and can land consistently, then definitely skip the trainer. Classic "second plane" sport models will do fine for you, because they are maneuverable enough to do aerobatics and keep you busy with them, but their stall and slow flight characteristics are gentle enough for a pilot who isn't quite up to speed yet. A Sig 4 Star or Goldberg Tiger II are good choices if you prefer a low wing plane like your Mustang, or an Ugly Stick (everyone makes one) is good if you fly in the wind a lot.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 AM
BillyGoat

I would have to see the plane you fly now and how you handle it to even begin making half of an assessment. Like Gray Beard said join a local club. Take your park flier, hang out with those guys and have them help you decide.

Even if you have a place to fly a bigger plane and/or think you can pilot one without assistance, there are some nuances with glow planes. So being with other modelers will provide invaluable support you simply can't get from the internet.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:35 PM
at101

thanks for your input