Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Exposed Servo,,Airflow Question.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Exposed Servo,,Airflow Question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
rt4957

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exposed Servo,,Airflow Question.

At the Moment I am near done Structurally with my SIG Wonder,,that I have put Tricycle Landing Gear on.

For steering the nose gear,,I have/(Had ) planned on using a small micro Servo,,But with space restraints (No Room up Front) I might put it Towards the Middle of the plane,,just aft of the Main gear,,actuated by a 4-40 rod.

Before I do this /Cut the hole,,will a servo in this area cause Unstability or can I go ahead with doing it.?

Doing the landing gear as I plan on flying this from an Asphalt runway,,probably by myself and hand launching it just doesn`t feel right for me to do yet.

Thanks
Rt4957
Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Exposed Servo,,Airflow Question.

No prob. Go for it
Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: rt4957

At the Moment I am near done Structurally with my SIG Wonder,,that I have put Tricycle Landing Gear on.

For steering the nose gear,,I have/(Had ) planned on using a small micro Servo,,But with space restraints (No Room up Front) I might put it Towards the Middle of the plane,,just aft of the Main gear,,actuated by a 4-40 rod.

Before I do this /Cut the hole,,will a servo in this area cause Unstability or can I go ahead with doing it.?

Doing the landing gear as I plan on flying this from an Asphalt runway,,probably by myself and hand launching it just doesn`t feel right for me to do yet.

Thanks
Rt4957
I also say go for it.. I'd use a smaller rod on it though.. thats a smallish plane anyway, a smaller rod work the same and would be lighter too... and by description of what this iss going on... I'd use 2/56.. that would easily steer that little wheel.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Check your CG closely on the wonder. I have one and it's a handful if the CG gets too far back.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 AM
Hewey19

I just finished building a Sig Wonder and all I have to say is triple check everything for clearances before you glue anything in.  That includes putting the wing on to make sure the aileron servo isn't going to be hitting something.  If I ever build another Wonder I will put a servo on each aileron so there won't be one in the middle taking up so much room.  I can't imagine building this plane with standard size radio gear like they suggest. 

I would love to see some pictures of your build.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 PM
rt4957

Here are some of My Wonder,still lots to do.

Rt4957
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41300.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1547270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70610.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1547271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92342.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1547272  
Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 AM
Lnewqban

Structural suggestion for front gear and location suggestion for main gear:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58031.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1547351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30786.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1547352  
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Villa

I am always amazed at how much punishment the steering servo takes on my planes. One reason is because I just love landings; I make maybe 5-10 each flight. I have stripped the gears from many standard size servos used for steering. Now I always use some type of stress relive to reduce the shock on the servo. I would not use a micro servo for steering. By the way, I am only referring to front wheel steering, not rear wheel.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I am curious about is...WHY????? Why put landing gear on such a small and fun "sport model fast" plane? The plane flys so well and lands very nicely without gear...on a grass runway that is. I know...to each their own but just wondering.

Steve
Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about making it a tail dragger? That would be lighter. These little airplanes get heavy, fast! You could have a wire tailskid extending pretty far aft to reduce the short coupled twitchiness that most likely will occur. If you haven't already, use the foam wheels. They are much lighter. Pretty neat idea, though!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:27 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A guy in our club tried the landing gear thing on a Wonder, bad bad idea. Out of many tries, I remember him getting airborne once, and then the landing, well it was comical. As soon as it touched down it began flipping end over end. The gear are sooo close together, ground handling is miserable.