Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Futaba or Spectrum

OK, so another debate.. I need some more knowledge and opinions.. Iwent to a hobby store and saw the spectrum.. It seems like and outstanding radio.. Me i am a futaba fan.. so let me hear the opinions.. thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Futaba or Spectrum

Here we go again !!!

Airtronics !!!
    AMA# 921446
    Traxxas nitro Stampede 2x4
    HPISAVAGE X 4.6
    Thunder Tiger ST-1 4.60cc PRO-28BX-R
    Great planes Piper Cherokee
    Great planes Big Stik .60
    Kit,Goldberg tiger 2
    Kit,SIG Kadet
    SPAD trainer
    Tiger Club #69

Kraft!! Best gimbles in the world.
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it's harder to hit a moving target.
    Sir Percy
    Hoosier Dawn Patrol
    www.hoosierdawnpatrol.com
    Waco Brotherhood #148
    Glow Head Brotherhood #21
    BUSA Brotherhood #21

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: beberly540

OK, so another debate.. I need some more knowledge and opinions.. Iwent to a hobby store and saw the spectrum.. It seems like and outstanding radio.. Me i am a futaba fan.. so let me hear the opinions.. thanks
    My opionion..... here is my 2c

I have been watching the 2.4 games unfold since they were first introduced and have noticed the ways people go wrong with confidence, IMHO. The panacea for lousy radio installs, ignition interferance and crappy battery maintenance, NOT!

Being a 9ZAPWC2 user on PCM for a long time I waited until I was convinced that I should get my feet wet in the 2.4 world. First went with a DX7 and a TM-8 module on one of my 9Z's. After more than a year of usage the Futaba FASST system is now my only choice on serious aircraft. I also run a 12Z in addition to a 9Z on 2.4 in all my aircraft today, kick-behind system! The solid connection and virtually instant boot and lock-on of the FASST systems beats the other popular brand hands down. The popular brand might be good for the disposable foamys but I am not convinced that they are safe in any of my larger aircraft. The satellite units alone translate into a duct-tape scenario to fix missing reliability, IMHO.

Flame away anybody who wants to - I don't care. Each person has a choice on what products to use. Make your own, I have made my choice.

Bliksem

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd have to agree, Futaba makes the most robust system, and the price reflects it. That said, I bought Airtronics because I do believe you get the best bang for your buck with their systems, and the signal technology is similar.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blikseme300

My opionion..... here is my 2c

I have been watching the 2.4 games unfold since they were first introduced and have noticed the ways people go wrong with confidence, IMHO. The panacea for lousy radio installs, ignition interferance and crappy battery maintenance, NOT!

Being a 9ZAPWC2 user on PCM for a long time I waited until I was convinced that I should get my feet wet in the 2.4 world. First went with a DX7 and a TM-8 module on one of my 9Z's. After more than a year of usage the Futaba FASST system is now my only choice on serious aircraft. I also run a 12Z in addition to a 9Z on 2.4 in all my aircraft today, kick-behind system! The solid connection and virtually instant boot and lock-on of the FASST systems beats the other popular brand hands down. The popular brand might be good for the disposable foamys but I am not convinced that they are safe in any of my larger aircraft. The satellite units alone translate into a duct-tape scenario to fix missing reliability, IMHO.

Flame away anybody who wants to - I don't care. Each person has a choice on what products to use. Make your own, I have made my choice.

Bliksem

Ditto

As a product reviewer I use both, and for ease of use and reliability I also choose Futaba hands down.

Futaba does not have some of the nice features like Model Match or Telemetry (Yet) but I'll take performance and reliability over fancy features any day.
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Really???? You guys are letting your selves get sucked into a thread started soulfully to insight a pissing match by someone that isnt even really shopping for a radio??

You guys have fun. Im out of here.
    Maybe I should just take rubbing alcohol with me to the field and rub the props down before starting any of my planes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

another miserable Spektrum user...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the regulars on the board here are way past sick of the pissing matches and aren't going to get into one, especially not over this topic. Every brand has its fans, which says to me that they all work fine and leave most of their users satisfied.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TimBle

another miserable Spektrum user...
    At least I like girls! LOL
    Maybe I should just take rubbing alcohol with me to the field and rub the props down before starting any of my planes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

Really???? You guys are letting your selves get sucked into a thread started soulfully to insight a pissing match by someone that isnt even really shopping for a radio??

You guys have fun. Im out of here.
    Yeah, but aren't those peeing matches fun, especially when someone walks up and cranks it out there about 12-15 foot [X(]

As far as Fuslava and Spekcrum radios, aren't they both made in those little sweat shops in Shanghai? [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Geez

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In a few more months the choice will be a lot easier to make, Spektrum is releasing a module/add on to upgrade current dsm2 systems to DSMX technology. It is FHSS that is compatible with old DSM2 rx's. The next generation of JR/ Spektrum radios will be DSMX.

There is a FAQ section at horizon DSMX add on FAQ
    AMA# 921446
    HPISAVAGE X 4.6
    Kit,Goldberg tiger 2
    Kit,SIG Kadet
    SPAD trainer
    Tiger Club #69

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually, since they are hard to come by, (or buy?) I submit the best gimbals in the world are going to come from this guy:
    http://andysrecroomrc.blogspot.com/
    As I own one, I may be a bit biased, but it sure contains a huge helping of awesomness.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So Spektrum is "Upgrading" to the same type of system that Futaba has used all along. It's about time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
    Ditto

As a product reviewer I use both, and for ease of use and reliability I also choose Futaba hands down.

Futaba does not have some of the nice features like Model Match or Telemetry (Yet) but I'll take performance and reliability over fancy features any day.
    As a product reviewer I also use both and for ease of use and reliablity I choose JR/Spektrum for my personal stuff.

My point being, they both work well.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JR/Spectrum guys have ALWAYS claimed there was no problems with their radios. If there wasn't a problem why does JR keep coming out with new technology to "improve" the radios??? DSM first, then DSM2, now it's DSMX. Sheeez, that's three generations of technology in the few years that we've had Spread Spectrum radios out. If it was so damn good to start with why do they have to keep changing it??? oh yeah, and even with the new DSMX technology you still have the have 36 satallite receivers in your plane!!!!! ;-)

Futaba and Airtronics are still using good old FHSS. No second or third generation. Just the original hopping system. I guess that boils down to "if you get it right the first time you don't have to keep fixing it"!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"if you get it right the first time you don't have to keep fixing it"!!!!!!!

Amen !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started with Futaba and now fly the Futaba 2.4's and I have no reason to change! The Futaba was what I used with racing cars and have used Futaba for years now on my planes, Very happy to report no problems!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Iown or have owned both and my preference, based on my experience, is Futaba. Ilike the receivers better, the design of the transmitters and the menus & programming. I have never had an issue with a Futaba FAAST transmitter or receiver but I've had several with Spektrum (loss of signal, new defective receivers). Ihave seen many others have Spektrum problems as well.

That doesn't mean Spektrum is junk or Futaba is perfect. If you choose the Spektrum you will be able to fly an airplane just fine and even the best products can have an issue. I am just communicating what I have found from using both.

Both manufacturers will give you great service and support. When I did have Spektrum issues, Horizon took care of them no questions asked. They went above and beyond in my opinion. Hobbico, who distributes Futaba, has done the same for me on other products. That means a lot.

Just pick one and have fun.
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #13*

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a DX6i and a 7C. I actually prefer the 7C. Nothing to do with quality I have never had an issue with Spektrum, its a "feel" thing.

I just wanted people to know that Spektrum seems to think they need to make the change. So arguing the point on tech will soon be over.
    AMA# 921446
    HPISAVAGE X 4.6
    Kit,Goldberg tiger 2
    Kit,SIG Kadet
    SPAD trainer
    Tiger Club #69

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heathkit 8 channel single stick. Roll your own!
    \"As for Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord\"
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

I flew Airtronics for Decades working my way up to a Stylus. Always worked flawlessly!

Jumped to Futaba since Airtronics did not offer a system with more than 8 channels (since then, they have released a 10ch).
    I love my Futaba 12FG. Great support, lots of accessories available and rock solid! Very intuitive programming menus, I rarely have to crack open the manual.

We have a few JR 2.4 radios in the shop and, having little experience with them, find the menus difficult to navigate. I seem to have to refer to the manual to figure out many features. For instance, to change models you have to hold one button while simultaneously turning the transmitter on, not very intuitive. With that said, perfomance-wise we have never had an issue and I find there support to be very good as well.

FYI.. Futaba is Shulman's choice of radio.
    FYI...JR is Violett's choice of radio.

I only site these examples since they are some of the best pilots in the world IMO
    AMA "#": MUSTANG
    "All that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be\"-PF, DSOTM
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #56

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast