Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wing struts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:40 PM
skypiratescotty
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing struts?

Hey all
I hope i'm in the right area but if not I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction.

Anyway, I'm putting together a Kadet Seniorita ARF and am converting it to a taildragger. I also would like to add wing struts but can't seem to find any so I am curious if anybody could give some ideas on how to construct my own or where to purchase some ready to bolt on.

For some reason, my search function doesn't seem to want to work so thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Scotty
Old 02-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Wing struts?

Kit building would be a good place but this will do. You just use balsa or light hard wood and sand to an oval shape and glue in a cross strut and glue them together. Because they are non functioning you can mount them any way you like. I just finished a CG Cub and they use little plastic hooks that clip onto small screws that are screwed into hard points in the wing and fuse bottom. You can get the Cub replacement hooks from tower if you want. Nothing too hard to do but you want to make your mounting as quick and easy so you aren't waisting time at the field setting them up.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:36 PM
skypiratescotty
My Feedback: (32)

Cool, thanks. Kinda what I had in mind but just wanted to be sure before I dive right in.

preciate it
Scotty
Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The more common question is: Do I really need these wing struts what a pain in the Butt, you will learn

John
Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

The more common question is: Do I really need these wing struts what a pain in the Butt, you will learn

John
Doesn't take long either. The Cub I just finished for a friend does not require them but he wanted them on there for show. It's a float plane and he really likes the scale look. I think when I had a Cub it only took twice before I started leaving them home in my shop. It's one of those choice things.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the feeling of wanting to just get out and fly without messing with scale details every time. I have my sport planes for those days. I do like a good scale look sometimes and the details are worth it on those days. The seniorita does have that strut feel to it so I can see the appeal.

The simplest method I have found is get a threaded rod with control links at each end. Glue balsa on both sides and sand to a simple symmetrical airfoil shape. You take some landing gear straps and screw them to the fueselage and a block glued into the wing. You can then attach the links to these easly and quickly after you have attached the wing. Just remember to set the length before you glue the balsa to the rods. When the length and postion are set glue or solder the clevises to the rods to keep the struts from spinning, and mark them for each position. If you are going to get a little aggressive on the controls you can cut the rods in the middle and instead make a channel down each half of the balsa so one end can slide inside and wont break with wing flex, this will also allow you to use them in any position as the length will be slightly adjustable.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:43 PM
fredsedno

Try Tower Hobbies-type in K&S. All kinds of metal tubing & alum. struts. fredsedno