Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

air retracts

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM
wldhair
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air retracts

ok, I need some help . I just purchased a plane form an RC auction and its got air retracts . I know nothing about these systems .
There is a filler valve on the side of the plane but I have nothing small enough to fit it . Even a needle valve (footballs / basketsballs etc ) is too big .
Is there some special kind of pump I need or some special kind of fitting ?
I'm sorry I do not know the name of the manufacturer on the retracts
The plane is a AT-6 Texan and I think its from hanger 9 . If that helps
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Tom
Old 02-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: air retracts

Does the fill valve look like the one in the pic below? If it is then it is a Robart item and you can see the (gold) fitting that goes with it which is available from Robart along with a hand pump if you want one. You can also use a standard clamp on type filler like you would use on a bike tire although the threaded Robart unit is much nicer to use.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:56 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chances are they are either Century Jet or Robart retracts. Both companies make retracts for this plane. Google these companies and look at the equipment and see if it is similar to what is on your plane. Century Jet retracts for your plane are part number 31688. Sometimes builders will mix different air system parts from these two manufacturers. So look at both and I'm sure you will find the setup that is in your plane. If you post photos of your gear and air system we can probably tell you what it is.

Good Luck. Let us know what you find.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Crash-RCU

Yes there is a special conector that screws into the valve on the side of the plane. You need to know what brand retracts you have as the connectors are different, I believe Robart and Spring Air are the two most commen but there both different. You could just get a Robart valve assembly that comes with the connector and take out the one in the plane if different from the Robart one and replace with the one you bought. As for filling, I use a cheap Harbor Freight 12volt air pump with an air gauge. You will need a short piece of airline tubing, I use a ball inflator needle with the airline pushed over the needle then have the air connector on the other end of the airline. I fill my retracts to about 90-100 psi, and can cycle them 4-5 times no problem.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM
wldhair

Thanks guys , I'm working on pics . the valve is silver and 6mm outside Dia (or 1/4 inch)
I also need some help Identifying the make and Man of the plane . I thought it was Hanger 9 but its not
W/S is 59 inches and Fuse length is 41 inches
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90065.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1563702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98030.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1563703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16136.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1563704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81403.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1563705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb38564.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1563706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60876.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1563707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd67538.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1563708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr60012.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1563709  

Old 02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look like spring air retracts
Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
wldhair

I've been looking on the net and I think it might be a Kyosho but I can't find a good pic of it . It has been disc (my luck )
What is "spring air " vs "air" and I still need to find something to try and fill the system.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Crash-RCU

[link]http://www.retracts.com[/link] Those are Spring Air retracts, give them a call and they will fix you right up.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:15 PM
wldhair

Thanks Crash and Aerowoof, I'll give them a call ASAP . Any luck on Plane ID ? LOL
Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
wldhair

Anybody have any luck with the Texans Manufacturer?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 PM
wldhair

I've tried calling "spring air Products " several time and had to leave a messege . So far I have not got a call back . I also emailed them twice , so far, no response
Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: wldhair
Anybody have any luck with the Texans Manufacturer?
Looks like a Top Flite ARF to me.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 AM
wldhair

I thought it might be a Top flight too but the wing span of the Top Flight is 10 inches wider (60 size) This one is a 40 size hmmmmmmmm
Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use any style 12 volt air pump with a cam lock connector to charge the air system. Find one of those hand held emergency air compressor/emergency light units typically intended to keep in your car for "just in case". There are many on the market. Home Depot has Campbell Hausfeld, Sears has thier own, Walmart will have them in the auto section. You slip the connector onto the receiver fitting on the side of your plane, lock it in place with the lever on the connector and start the pump. Your 12 volt starting battery will power it.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Chad Veich

This is why it looks a LOT like the TF ARF!

http://www.greatplanes.com/discontinued/gpma1245.html
Old 02-18-2011, 06:44 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

wldhair,

definately spring air retracts. The gold color is their trademark.

The diff is they use a single air line to "pull the gear up" against the resistance of a spring inside the air cylinder. if you should loose air pressure the spring forces the gear down and thus you can land on the mains.
Some older air systems like RHOM-AIR and some today still use two lines and lack this saftey feature.
Thus the servo operated valve is very simple.

If you desire a slower speed, I have always used wheel collors and adjust the set screws. That is until the darn expensive valves came out. But something said for the simple solutions still.

Take Chads (post#2) picture down to you local Hobby shop and swap out the filler valve as the robart ones pictured have always worked 100% for me. Use a hand pump or electric roadside that has a gauge to 120. Fill to about 100-105 PSI.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:00 AM
wldhair

Hey Chad
I think you're right .... I'll have to check the wing span , but the pic sure looks the same ... Thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 05:11 AM
wldhair

Hey Firebee
Thanks for the info . I've still not been able to contact "spring air " but I'll keep trying .
I swapped out the filler valve and ran across another problem - maybe you can hep .
The "schrader valve" inside the filler valve is too short and will not depress when I attach the pump and therefore will not let the system accept any air .
I swapped out the shrader vlave to went to a "long " schrader valve hoping that would solve the problem but the long shrader vlave is too long and one thats mounted in the filler valve the valve won't open ....
Soooo the orig valve isn't long enough to be activated by the pump attachment and the long shrader valve is too long and won't depress when pump is attached ........hmmmmm
I tried unscrewing the shorter shrader valve to the point where it will accept air into the system but as soon as the pump is removed all air leaks out of the fill/shrader ....
I've never had retracts before and this is becoming a real nitemare lol
We were able to get air into the system and they DO work - now I just have to figure out how to fill the system so it won't leak
Any Ideas????

Tom
Old 03-06-2011, 05:14 AM
wldhair

hey Chad
Yup thats what I bought and installed but there is a another problem refer to Firebee and myself in this thread

Thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Wldhair,

let me check my parts box tonight. I will send you a PM if I found I have a working switch.

I also had problems contacting Spring Air. They apear to be a more "mom and Pop" store and would only respond once in a blue moon. But their retracts are great!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 PM
wldhair

Hey Firebee
That would be great as I still have not heard from Spring air -
I was messing around with it last nite and was trying to get an air line off to use to try and use as a filler tube with a needle valve (foot ball -basket ball filler) and in the process I broke a little plastic "T" valve for the air line ...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr My LHS had to order it so I won't be trying anything till at least Sat .
I talked to a friend of mine ,who been flying for a long long time and he said the orig schrader valve should work but without seeing the set up - thats about all he would say (he lives 40 miles away ). As a last resort , I may end up hauling it over to his house but I honeslty do see how its gonna work - there must be some kind of adapter for either the pump or the valve ...... I'm stumped LOL

BTW the set up I have is exactly the one that Chad has pictured on this thread (scroll back)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM
wldhair

I have given up on contacting "spring air"
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend flew pylon for many years and used Spring-Air's all the time.

He used refer oil to lube the cylinders, swears by it for reliable trouble free operation.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM
oliveDrab

I've got 3 Spring Air retract sets and like them very much. However, due to many hot, fast, landings on a short, hard, asphalt runway I need to change out my struts. I've ordered beefier struts from Spring Air (3/16") but they don't mail them to me......even after paying for them and calling them back. They claim they're backlogged with other work (200 pairs of retracts, and the machinist supplying parts is not delivering the goods).

I'm getting ready to hire my own machinist to make parts. All I need is the little round cylinders that fit into the retracts. I can get the struts and axles from Tower Hobbies.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 PM
wldhair

I can't even get an answer on the phone, much less a return call or return email. Very frustrating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.