Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Electric Motor Size

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Electric Motor Size

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 PM
basslakeflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Motor Size

Need Help. Anyone out there who understands Brushless Motor sizing, please recommend a Brushless Motor including model number etc. compatiible ,ESC and Prop Size. The model I'm trying to outfit calls for a 400 Motor. Have tried to figure out off charts what Motors are 400. Thanks for the Help
Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 AM
BillyGoat

Default RE: Electric Motor Size

It's not that simple and I could write a novel explaining why. The easy way to find a brushless combo that will work, is do a search for your plane here on RCU as I'm sure somebody has flown or is flying that plane with a brushless motor. Then all you need to do is copy their set up.

If for some reason that does not work for you we will need a LOT more information to put you into right motor, battery, prop, ESC and maybe gearbox combo. In fact if you do need to go that far this is a post much better suited to the Electric forum.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 AM
basslakeflyer

Thanks for the information to all those who replied to my question about Electric Motor Sizing. It really helped me. Basslakeflyer.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM
basslakeflyer

Here is the plane I need help on outfitting with Brushless Motor,ESC, Prop, etc.   Its a balsa Cap 232. Specs are wing span 36.2in (920mm), fuselage length 32.8 in. (835mm) , flying weight  600g , wing area 19sq dm. Instructions only call out to use a 400 motor!  I'm hoping someone out there can tell me what combo to use for this bird. Thanks Basslakeflyer
Old 02-20-2011, 12:41 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I'd probably use an EFlite 450 or 480 brushless outrunner with a 25 to 35 AMP EFlite Electronic Speed Control. The battery would be a 3cell Lithium Polymer 25C discharge over 2000 MAH. The prop would depend on the instructions for the chosen motor. I've had great success with the EFlite motors and also with AXi's. I can't find my Hobby Lobby catalog at the moment so the motor number of the AXi motor is forgotten. I also like Castle Creations speed controls.