Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monokote - Super Monokote ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monokote - Super Monokote ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
ama353
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote - Super Monokote ?

I confess to paying little attention to the Moneykote products back in the "early days", and now find myself wondering as I see several rolls of covering - some labeled as Monokote, others as Super Monokote - is there a difference, or is the Super just a marketing ploy?

Can anyone here clarify?

Dennis,
just curious ...
Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Monokote - Super Monokote ?

Original Monokote had a sticky back to it. Super Monokote gave the product it's dry backing as it has today.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 AM
ama353
My Feedback: (6)

Actually, I just found the answer on Top Flite's FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) website:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Has MonoKote changed over the years? I have a few rolls of covering that say "Super MonoKote" on the wrapper and newer rolls that say "MonoKote". What is the difference?

No major changes have been made to the formulation in the past 15 years. That is not to say that slight changes are not made from time to time to conform to constantly changing EPA regulations. This is primarily concerning solvents, the adhesive/pigment package has remained virtually unchanged since the upgrade to "Super MonoKote" . With this in mind please be aware that not all colors are made exactly the same-some colors adhere better than others, some offer more opacity and so on. But they all have essentially the same characteristics.

Concerning the change from MonoKote to Super MonoKote and back to MonoKote. The original material sold was "MonoKote" this was only on the market for about 5-6 years before it was upgraded to "Super MonoKote". It has remained Super MonoKote ever since. We stopped using the "Super" designation (but changed nothing in the formulation) because most of the modelers involved in the hobby today do not remember the original MonoKote. This created some confusion with some modelers wondering about "regular" MonoKote.

As a final thought, you will note that we did not change the "Super" designation on the roll itself. The imprint of "Super MonoKote" is still stamped on the edge of every roll.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Dennis

Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I would wager that Ultracote is better than both.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I would wager that Ultracote is better than both.
I have used both brands and Monokote works and looks fantastic if you take the time to learn how to really cover with it.

Bob
Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 PM
mikegordon10

OR you can get Ultracoat and just go to covering without the steep learning curve. It must be steep cause I used it all the time years ago, but alas I just can't do it any more. Ultracoat on the other hand is no problem. I guess if Moneycoat hasn't changed over the years (which I doubt) then it must have been me who changed. I'm happy to say I'm not alone in this!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 PM
sensei

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

OR you can get Ultracoat and just go to covering without the steep learning curve. It must be steep cause I used it all the time years ago, but alas I just can't do it any more. Ultracoat on the other hand is no problem. I guess if Moneycoat hasn't changed over the years (which I doubt) then it must have been me who changed. I'm happy to say I'm not alone in this!
I never said it didn't change, I have also been in the RC game over 45 years and seen all the changes. What I am saying is Monokote placed on an airframe correctly even today, blows the rest away in the looks department...

Bob
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 PM
mikegordon10

Well I'd have to say that if additional work is no problem and your really looking for a great finish then I guess I'd do a glass and paint job. This done properly will blow Moneycoat out of the water but then again there's all that extra effort necessary deal. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age. I think you got me on the # of years in this crazy business, i started in 1971 - so I've only got 40. Have a nice life.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good and bad about both, no need to get snippy. I found the red Ultracoat was semi translucent, and even when covered over white you could see where the two overlapped. I never had this problem with Monokote, but I agree that it is a little harder to use. Again they both have their pluses and minuses.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

Well I'd have to say that if additional work is no problem and your really looking for a great finish then I guess I'd do a glass and paint job. This done properly will blow Moneycoat out of the water but then again there's all that extra effort necessary deal. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age. I think you got me on the # of years in this crazy business, i started in 1971 - so I've only got 40. Have a nice life.
Yes, but at a nice weight penalty and even that is debatable, but then again; not all builders are equal, are they Mike… LOL
Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 AM
mikegordon10

Every time I glass and paint a model I say to myself "I'll never do that again!" Oops sorry gotta go sand my primer coat now!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM
davidgeorge212

how did monokote get the nickname moneykote? its cheaper than ultracoat, unless, its just an abreviation for "great value for the moneykote" ya, that must be it.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:40 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It would seem the term most often is used in a derogatory fashion. Perhaps it is related to other low temperature cheaper brands such as Towercoat, Econocoat and Black Baron among others of different principle importers.

Monocoat Ex/Super Monocoat remains my priciple favorite To this day although I did stray for perhaps two years back in the early ninties, the results were not pretty

John
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry guys. The Moneycoat slur goes back further than that. It goes back to the days of silk and dope. Monokote was the first plastic film covering, so the only thing to compare it to was silk and dope, or
tissue and dope. At the time you could silk your Taurus, or Ugly Stick cheaper than you could Monokote
it. And now you know the rest of the story! (Tell me I don't have to explain that phrase?) Greg
Old 03-13-2022, 11:05 AM
jhalliday

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Sorry guys. The Moneycoat slur goes back further than that. It goes back to the days of silk and dope. Monokote was the first plastic film covering, so the only thing to compare it to was silk and dope, or
tissue and dope. At the time you could silk your Taurus, or Ugly Stick cheaper than you could Monokote
it. And now you know the rest of the story! (Tell me I don't have to explain that phrase?) Greg
I remember that too, Greg. You are correct in saying it goes back to the 70's. I used the paper/dope method on a couple of small projects (remember how some kids got in trouble by sniffing that stuff?). When MonoKote and Super Monokote came out, I was impressed and pleased but it was definitely not the cheaper choice. For a kid, it was a luxury!
Old 04-17-2022, 06:47 PM
oliverjohn2030

Original Monokote had a sticky back to it. Super Monokote gave the product it's dry backing as it has today.