Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Are you a master model builder?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Are you a master model builder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Sparkie-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you a master model builder?

Are you a master model builder? am I?
If I am, when did I cross the line from expert,scratch, novis, beginner ? ( I didn't know where to put ARF's)
When a magazine describes a person as a "Master Model Builder"where do they check their references? Or when they do, does that make them one?
Is this a title you give your self?
If you compete in scale masters, do you have to win to become a "scale master".
The term "master" to me means that you have done it all. I have talked to some master builders at the NAT's , Top Gun, and the Masters. some are repulsed by helicopters others see climb and glide as "climb and snore". The point, they haven't done it all.

I don't want to appear to be caught up on titles because I'm not. I'm very comfortable with the position I've settled into in this hobby. It's just if we throw terms like "master" at some one that don't know the difference between laminar flow and vortex generators it means nothing.

I know that blowing another mans candle out wont make mine burn any brighter.
I just want to know,............ What is a master model builder?
Old 04-12-2002, 06:14 PM
INJUN_EAR
Banned

Default Re: Are you a master model builder?

Originally posted by Sparkie

I don't want to appear to be caught up on titles because I'm not. I'm very comfortable with the position I've settled into in this hobby. It's just if we throw terms like "master" at some one that don't know the difference between laminar flow and vortex generators it means nothing.

I know that blowing another mans candle out wont make mine burn any brighter.
I just want to know,............ What is a master model builder?
Okay, however it appears that way to me. I don't think the term is meant to be construed as you described, knowing, and doing all.
It's just someone that's recognized by a majority of the modeling community as being one of the best, and therfore capable of "doing all" and "Knowing"(by adapting and learning) all with little or no effort, based on a history of accomplishments.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:33 PM
Sparkie-RCU

Good answer, Kinda like "Jack of all trades, and master of one".

Just kidding , I get your point.
I know a guy that has flown gas engines at the field for years. He can make his plane do anything. After being introduced to indoor electrics it took him two weeks and he was doing the same thing at the gym.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:22 AM
b17flyer-RCU

the best if heard it is some thing like this:

an experaianced modeler has done it once, a master modeler has done it twice.

add ill agree i fly aero/jet/traine/warbird and then i watch someone decribed as a master modeler crash a students trainer aftr a deadstick.....i thought "master modelers" were past that, im still earning and im past that

Old 04-13-2002, 01:33 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Hideho all,

Best not to confuse Master modeler with
Master Pilot...

Huge difference, IMNSHO
Old 04-13-2002, 02:22 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I have been called a master builder but I will be the first to correct and disagree. What is a master builder?? heck I don't know as the definition could be many things. I was talking to a guy at the local hobby shop and he said that he was a master builder, and right away I asked what he built, all rubber band models, no R/C. Yup he be a master builder all right. Doggone it sparkie why do you ask these kind of questions, were R/C flyers, not thinkers!!!
Old 04-13-2002, 02:22 AM
tbone4343
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default jack of all trdes master of none

garfs or i mean arfs build it tweak it fly it .
Old 04-13-2002, 04:27 PM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

there are a couple of builders I have the highest respect for, and consider them Master Builders as there painting, covering, and building are exquisite.

I have been called a master builder, but i know all the little flaws in my planes so decline the title.

Believe a little modesty would preclude someone from using that title,but believe it canned be earned.

Same thing with flying. We all know pilots at the field we have test fly almost anything the first time, then the group of fast fliers, and fun fliers, scale, aerobatics etc. Again, believe the title may be earned, but not something that should be used by that person.

Just my thoughts.

ed
Old 04-13-2002, 06:08 PM
Sparkie-RCU

Grnbrt, and divesplat,I too have been called a master builder, I don't think so. So I don't clam the title either. I wanted to here from some one that does. Apparently Injun_ear has hit the nail on the head.( Post #2 )

I was told to go to the NATs by people that compete on a regular basis. They said that "I was ready and to enter your self in expert if you really want to compete. So I did............. to say the least it was a learning experience.

What I learned the most was that the big names there ( the "masters") couldn't give me the time of day. I felt like fodder, or a spy for the other team, or like I just asked them "can you still fly the plane if the engine dies"?
I admit that there were those that I look up to as "masters" that were very friendly and I sought their help when I couldn't get it any where else. But for the most part " masters" are unapproachable. I have turned down sponsors and the master title for fear of turning into one of those guys.
The NATs taught me about people. Now I answer the common questions with a smile. It might be a canned answer but its delivered in a friendly way.

I'm not sure what I was looking for in this thread. Perhaps why my impression of a master builder was a disappointment. May be the true masters all have good people skills.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:18 AM
Rarebear

A master to me would be someone that is considered to be one of the best and will readily help or demonstrate or share any knowledge or skill when he/she is asked.If not then all you have is a snob.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:38 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NO!
Old 04-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Gary Retterbush

A Master is what all of us wish we were and none are (and most never will be)!
Old 04-14-2002, 08:45 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

If one looks at SUPERMODELS it's kinda the same thing...

From all the supermodels of the world, how many do I find attractive? - NOT MANY-

So I'm quite sure that from all the MASTER BUILDERS of the world, only a few make the grade... (for me anyway)
Old 04-17-2002, 07:50 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I love these threads.

I enjoy reading these opinions. At leatst mine is correct!!! (I love it)

It seems, quite often, that many people are reluctant to call anybody a master in anything unless they are the selectee of that title. So, in cutting through individual egos...

The master builder is reckognized by others, not themselves, for there skill level in building. Their work speaks for itself. They do not have to have won Topgun scale competition. Most of you will find one or more at your very own home fields.

Masters can overcome those little problems that cause others to bash the manufacturers. They work each detail to the best of their ability regardless of whether or not it's an ARF funflyer or a scratch built Connie or other difficult subject. Their abilities are refined and leave each corner in a professional manner. There is no "good enough" attitude, it's either correct or not finished. Things are redone until proper and professional. No glue slops, and the insides are as elegantly finished as the outsides. The little details that most hobbiests do not worry about are carefully and painstakingly completed.

The title becomes reletive, too, based upon population. I have actually been called a master before (small fields)...I did not ask to have the title bestowed upon me. However, my work is a distant second to the work of some others I have seen. At the same time, I have started building for a kit manufacturer of highest reputations, so I'd say I'm not bad.

To write, though, as I once read, that Graem Mears is a master and everybody else is not, is quite shortsited.

Lastly, it's a poor part but a fact of human nature to always seek the wrong. Start to look for what is right in how other people do things. If your own ego can accept that, then you have actually found the courage needed to learn to be a master yourself.

Thanks,
Mark