Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Problem with radio hit's

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Problem with radio hit's

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 08:47 PM
SgtMitchell
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with radio hit's

I just finished a 4* 60 and flew it for the first time yesterday and found it to have a problem with the throttle jittering, so i changed the receiver and the throttle servo and now i keep getting hits on the controll surfaces. There was only one other person at the field when this happened so I know it wasn't him. Could someone please help????
sig 4*-60....Magnum 91 4cycle.....futaba 6xas
Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-15-2002, 02:26 AM
DougX

What kind of distance do you get from your range check?
Old 04-15-2002, 02:49 AM
SgtMitchell

Default HIT'S

Doug,
I can walk well over 100 feet on the range check with the antenna down for a radio check.
Last night i traded all the radio equipment with the 4* and a ultra stick 40 and i had no hit's on the stick, but i was lucky to get the 4* back due to many hit's. A older fellow at the club told me that I was getting the hit's because i was using the braded throttle cable that came with the kit on a four stroke and a plastic pushrod on the stick.... I am just fed up, I have got too much time in building this plane to lose it due to a simple mistake.
I just don't know what to do..
Think i'll call futaba tomorrow
Chris
Old 04-15-2002, 02:59 AM
DougX

I would check a couple of things. First I would use a nylon clevis on the engine throttle. Any metal on metal vibration could be the cause of your problem. Second try your range check again with the engine running and the plane held or straped to the ground. see if you have any problems through the range of the throttle.

Your friend may be right. If you have to change your throtte setup it's better than picking up the pieces.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:10 AM
SgtMitchell

Default HIT'S

I will change the throttle to a plastic pushrod in the morning and then do a running range and hit test with a buddy holding the plane. The only metal that could be vibrateing is the engine itself because the braded cable is attached to the engine and the servo with a e-z connector.
Chris
Old 04-15-2002, 03:28 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Hits

Hi Chris,

It definitely sounds like you've narrowed your problem down to the plane itself. Deifnitely the first thing I would look for is metal to metal contact of any kind. That's definitely what it sounds like. The other thing I would check is antenna routing. Is it inside the fuse, or outside. Is it significantly different routing compared to your other plane?

Other than metal to metal or antenna routing, I can't think of anything else that would be specific to the plane.

The range check with the engine running is essential and very good advise. The difference between engine running should not be more than 10% less than with the engine off. Make sure you check it at full throttle too, not just idle.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Bill
Old 04-15-2002, 03:33 AM
SgtMitchell

Thank you very much!!
The antenna runs out the bottom and is attatched to the tail wheel mount with a rubber band (same with all my small planes).
I'll check a few things tomorrow and let you know what happens.
thanks
Chris
Old 04-15-2002, 03:57 AM
Ted Farmin

attach your antena to the vertical fin and get it away from the metal tail wheel axle and possible metal hub of the tail wheel.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:02 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Antenna mounting location

Ted wrote:

>>attach your antena to the vertical fin and get it away from the metal tail wheel axle and possible metal hub of the tail wheel.

Hi Ted, I guess great minds think alike. I was just about to post something similar to this. Although I think the likelihood of this being the problem is small since this is your normal mounting point and you haven't been having problems before, but I agree with Ted, that fastening the antenna to the top of the vertical fin would be the preferred location.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:27 AM
SgtMitchell

I'll move the antenna wire right after i change the throttle to a plastic pushrod......... Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2002, 11:33 PM
SgtMitchell

I would like to thank each of you that responded. I changed the throttle cable to a plastic pushrod and moved the antenna to the tail and........NO PROBLEMS!!!!
I started the plane and went to full throttle and had a buddy walk about 100 ft. away with the transmitter and ran a full tank out with no hits.
Then I had two great flights with no problems.
Thanks Mr. Farmin and Mr. Pryor, and also a thanks to RCU!!!
Old 04-17-2002, 11:10 PM
DougX

Glad to hear you got it the problem knocked out. Happy Flying!