Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need help converting Senior Kadet to electric

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need help converting Senior Kadet to electric

Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 AM
BEAR-AvHistory

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need help converting Senior Kadet to electric

I am looking for some help on how to modify the fuselage to carry the battery to convert a Sr. Kadet to e-power. Any pictures would be great.

Thanks, Kevin
Old 03-04-2011, 04:22 PM
red head

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Need help converting Senior Kadet to electric

If it were me, I'd just cut a hatch in the top of the cowl ( above the gas tank space ) and make a platform for the battery. Of course you will have to check the CG real close. ENJO !!! RED
Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 PM
BEAR-AvHistory

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Need help converting Senior Kadet to electric

Was thinking about that. I have a Senorita ARF which comes with the battery hatch cut in the bottom of the plane from the leading edge of the wing to the leading edge of the windshield.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:19 PM
jc3underpar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kevin,
I have a Senior and plan to do the same thing. I was considering converting the plane to a taildragger, as well. Taildraggers withstand grass fields much better; however, moving the landing gear forward means that I would need to move the main gear from its intended position and cut into the top of the plane to create a battery compartment in front of the windshield. The more I look at the windshield and the wing saddle, the less I want to start cutting into that area.

I have now decided to go with the tricycle landing gear configuration since this will allow me to cut a compartment in the bottom of the plane for the battery. The battery should easily fit in the space behind the firewall and in front of the main gear. I plan to make a wooden 1.5" X 7" battery tray that I can strap the battery to. I can then install the tray and battery securely in the plane.

I bought this plane from a club member. It was new in the box. I did not know that it was built as a glow model with tricycle landing gear only. I will adjust as I always do. It will be great. Best of luck.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:00 PM
kenlowe
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I converted one for my Dad, which was already configured as a tail dragger. This model had over a huge slug of lead in the nose, along with on OS46 for power, so I needed to mount the battery (5-cell 5,000ma lipo, IIRC) as far forward as possible. Ultimately, I built a battery tray at the bottom of the fuse and used a Velcro strap to secure it. ESC went on piece of light ply mounted ahead of the firewall to one side of the battery. The bottom of the cowl was cut back to allow access to the battery. An arming plug on the side of the fuse kept hands safe while changing batteries.

This would have been difficult with nose gear. Never posted a photo before, so here's hoping this works. Bottom line, temporarily attach your power system and experiment with battery locations before you commit to placement.