Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Old engines in need of repair

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Old engines in need of repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 AM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old engines in need of repair

I Know everyone has one . For example I have a Magnum Pro 45 , and a Royal 45 with out mufflers. that I think I will need somtime. But for what ? They need parts that are not avalable. What do I do , throw it in the trash? I cant do that!!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: Old engines in need of repair

Hi

Old ASP 45 Mufflers, OS 45 FSr mufflers will fit. You see them on Ebay and RCU from time to time, you just have to be watching. There were 3 Royal 45s on Ebay recently. Gotta do your home work to get them.

Vince
Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As luck will have it I have a local hobby shop named Nice Twice because they sell both new and used. If I go through there used stuff I often find items for old engines. I just take the engines with me to make sure the parts will fit because nothing is labled. There are also a lot of after market parts that will work. It takes some time and effort but the parts are out there.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its always a good idea if you have supply of arguably "Junk" engines as there are many bits and pieces of them and not just major components that often can be needed or used on others such as: Thrust bushings and thrust washers, Woodruff keys, neele valves, spray bars and pieces of the spraybar assemblys, Metric and SAE machine screws for the cylinder heads and back plates, carburator set screws, jam bolts and on and on and on.

This is entirely your choice and just how far to go in trying to resurect an older engine or just keep one running as well how much time and energy you are willing to invest in doing so. That is your choice and usually keep in mind that operation of even a not all that out of date engine such as the Royals can and usually come with some deficit in performance in some way and it just depends on what you will need. Remenber this may not be just raw performace defficit it may well be in user friendliness or idling response or the need for special fuel or what ever.

Also do keep in mind that older engines made with no muffler bosses were amost definately made to use without mufflers and possibly with articualated & coupled exhaust baffle throttles where applicable. This can include earlier Royals. To expect modern performance and idle throttle response when colbbled up with strapon muffers of some sort is unrealistic and not going to happen.

John
Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Oberst
Banned

Don't ever throw any old engine or engine parts in the trash! It's difficult to get parts for a discontinued engine after a while, and there's a big demand for original parts if they are in good usable condition.

E-bay the engines or contact the ad in the AMA magazine who buys old engines and parts. Also, at big R/C events there's usually a swap meet going on during the event. You can try selling them there as well.

Pete

Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 AM
BillyGoat

ORIGINAL: Oberst

Don't ever throw any old engine or engine parts in the trash! It's difficult to get parts for a discontinued engine after a while, and there's a big demand for original parts if they are in good usable condition.

E-bay the engines or contact the ad in the AMA magazine who buys old engines and parts. Also, at big R/C events there's usually a swap meet going on during the event. You can try selling them there as well.

Pete
Or at the very least simply pass it to somebody who is willing to hang on to it for parts. I give $!#& like this away from time to time because I'm tired of hanging on to it. But least I know it very likely will give life to another engine as a donor, instead of taking up space in a landfill.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Weasel Keeper
My Feedback: (16)

Another possibility is that engine distributors/manufacturers sometimes run a trade-in promotion where you send in an old engine for some small amount toward purchase of a new one. Seems like OS did one last year and Mecoa has a regular trade-in program.