Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Striping Tape

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Striping Tape

Who has the best selection of striping tape? I'm looking for a variety of colors in widths of 1/16, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 inch. It seems the 3/16 is harder to find than the others.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Striping Tape

Auto parts store. I bought a stripe cutter for covering, one of the Great Planes units and it works slick for cutting my own. Covering sticks better then the stripe tape too.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 PM
JollyPopper

Hey Gene, I use a stripe cutting machine also for cutting MonoKote stripes and putting on either MonoKote or UltraCote, but I am striping an old plane that I picked up just to experiment with Koverall. This thing is covered with Koverall and painted with house paint (latex). I was not sure if MonoKote stripes that I cut would work over latex and if it would, should I use heat to apply. So I started striping with some Carl Goldberg tape that I already had. I got the wings done and ran out of tape. Then I discovered that I can't find any 3/16" tape anywhere and that is what I used on the wings. I could probably use 1/4" on the fuselate and nobody would notice the difference in width, but I am kind of weird about trying to keep things the same.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16143.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1579922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47705.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1579923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77015.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1579924  
Old 03-17-2011, 04:32 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The auto striping tape should work for you. You probably can find it in the same color as your Goldberg tape. It most likely comes from the same factory.

If you can not find the same width, I suggest that you buy smaller width tape, not larger. The fuselage is a more confined area. In my opinion, the smaller tape looks better.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Gray Beard

I have never tried to run a heat gun over latex so???????? I ran into a problem with the stripe tape I bought in hobby shops. It hangs on the wall so long the glue is bad. Then I just got the tape at the auto parts store and there is a bigger turnaround because I haven't run into the problem. The local auto parts store also has a much bigger selection.
I found my cutter at a club swap meet for just a couple bucks. I have always just used a ruler. After I set it up, sharpened a blade for it and gave it a try I discovered I have been cutting my stripes the hard way all these years. For the people that cover there own planes the cutter is one of those tools that is worth the price. Sure does a nice job and I have cut stripes down to a 32nd, even smaller by accident when I was just fooling around.
I'm thinking Latex for my next plane. Cheap, easy clean up and I can get the colors matched at any good hadrware store.. Only good for gas, not glow!! So I'm told.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Gray Beard

Max, cool looking plane, is that a Master?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:20 AM
JollyPopper

Gene, yes it is a Great Planes Super Aeromaster. I traded for it wrecked just to play with. It appeared to be covered originally with Koverall so that's the way I went since I had been wanting to try it anyway. And I believe you can use any fuel with latex if you spray it with a glo fuel resistant clear coat. I'm gonna try it anyway.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Gray Beard

I just loaned out an article on painting with Latex to a friend and yes, you can spray a clear coat over it but as a stand alone paint it isn't fuel proof but great stuff for gas powered planes. I just traded away an Aeromaster. More of a give away. A fellow gave me an engine and I felt guilty so I gave him a plane. A very nice engine!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:03 PM
JollyPopper

Engines and planes are like gravy and bread. They never come out even. Right now I need several four strokes for kits I have to build and I can't afford them.[]