Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Iron Sock Problems. How can you clean a dirty sock?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Iron Sock Problems. How can you clean a dirty sock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 PM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron Sock Problems. How can you clean a dirty sock?

Hi, I've been flying R/C for 15 years. In that time I've covered 4 models, since I've bought ARF's which are already covered, but need to be touched up from time to time. I wanted to become a better mono kote coverer. Ibought TF Top Flite MonoKote "Secrets of Great Covering with Top Flite MonoKote" DVD. My problem is the iron sock. Almost everytime I slide it over a seam or whereever the MonoKote over laps onto another peice of MonoKote, some of the color bleeds out onto the sock. Eventually that same color begins to come off the sock and onto the plane in other places. Usually right next to the piece that has just been put over top. In other words the color smears out from under the top peice. I'm not sure if this could be because my Iron is set to hot? I set the temp where Top Flite tells me Ishould.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:55 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: Iron Sock Problems. How can you clean a dirty sock?

Use baby socks...with the highest cotten content you can find...then just wash them in the washer
Old 03-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Dsegal

If I remember correctly the color in Monokote is contained within the adhesive layer. If you use Ultracote the iron cover will stay cleaner as the color is in the plastic film itself.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:09 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Yeah, cotton baby socks from Walmart. They are cheap enogh that you can throw them away when they get soiled.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Do yourself a favor, Get a Century 21 iron, and socks, change them when they look like yours. Oh, by the way, acetone will take off all those smears without harming the Monokote.

Bob
Old 03-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Acetone while it's on the iron then remove it and toss in tthe washer in hot water with your own socks. They don't last forever so baby socks work very well as a replacement. Cut up old tee shirts are another sorce. Just use safety pins to hold them on.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

You can also turn the sock inside out
Old 03-26-2011, 09:32 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don,t bother cleaning them and change them often using my old cotton T shirts. This method has the advantage over baby socks in that they stay tight and do not twist sideways when a sideward motion is used like a baby sock will.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53182.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	1584646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22415.jpg
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	1584647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46472.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	1584648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78104.jpg
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	1584649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51489.jpg
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	1584650  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dsegal
If I remember correctly the color in Monokote is contained within the adhesive layer. If you use Ultracote the iron cover will stay cleaner as the color is in the plastic film itself.
You still get the sticky adhesive on the sock with Ultracote through even if it isn't colored.

I clean mine with acetone and turn it inside out once before discarding it. I have never tried the baby socks but it sounds like a great idea.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Ultracote has the clear plastic layer on top with the color in the adhesive as well. I just tried removing some from a plane, top plastic layer pulled from the color in some spots. Acetone cleaned it all up nice.

I never liked using the baby socks; slides around too much on the iron. Most of the time I don't use any sock, just use the bare iron to hit edges where it seems loose, use the iron for the bigger areas. If I'm actually recovering something, I use the sock.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:50 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Joe try the T shirt method I outlined in photos. The cloth does not slide around on the iron when pulled tight. That is the big advantage over baby socks.

John
Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the baby socks for a while but went back to the Tee shirts. Over the years my irons get pretty beat up so if I don't use the sock the iron leaves marks on the covering. I have polished my irons so they were smooth but a cover is one of those things that just works. I cover from 6 to 10 planes a year so my irons get used a lot. Doesn't take long for them to get scratches and built up glue on them. One thing I noticed is it doesn't mater if it's Mono or Ultra, I get glue build up on the heel of my irons. Something the two coverings have in common.