Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

2.4 ghz Radio choice which one?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2.4 ghz Radio choice which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 AM
lrglnman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 ghz Radio choice which one?

I am going to buy a 2.4 radio in the next few days. I currently have Futaba 7 cap 72 mhz. Is there any difference in all the new 2.4 systems? which ones is eiser to program? Im not goint to buy an Airtronics system because no one in our club uses that system . Jr, Spektrum, HItec, and Futaba, that is my choices.I would like to get one of the new 8-9 channels. What do you folks use and why do you like your radio choice?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 ghz Radio choice which one?

Hitec has a deal running, right now. Buy the 9 channel, and get a free RX. http://www.hitecrcd.com/

Try AMain Hobbies for the best price, http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...FU9pKgodEkU6bg

My experience with Hitec proves them to be easy to program, and very reliable.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:06 AM
BillyGoat

Honestly, the one you eliminated just because nobody else in you club has one is probably the easiest to program.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

They are all "easy to program" it just depends on what you're used to. If you've flown Futaba than a 7C 2.4 or an 8FG is going to be "easier" simply because you're already familiar with their teminology and signal flow.

The most important question is what price range are you after.

Define that, then go hold and play with a few of the different radios at a hobby shop, if you fly with a neckstrap, take it with you and see how they feel.

All the popular brands in the end do one thing pretty well, and that is fly our models.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:30 AM
jetmech05

Andy is correct...if you stay with Futaba, that will be easiest for you
Old 03-30-2011, 07:11 AM
SharpProp

Just bought a Hitec Aurora 9, that I absolutely love. The programming is fantastic. You can make any switch do anything that you want. The adjustment feature lets you tweak a mix while your flying. The telemetry for the battery is available right out of the box, and it works beautifully. Also, its a modular system and soon they will have the Spectra Pro module which will let you fly your old FM receivers. Good luck in your choice.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Andy pretty much said everything I would have said. I also think you are correct in buying what is being used at your field. I'm a Futaba person and when someone with a Different radio asks me for help in a set up I can get lost just about as fast as the person doing the asking. I get along with the JR 9303 pretty well but there are a few differences. The one thing I have noticed is that JR has a much better choice in RXs and I have seen a lot of sales/deals on them. I have an old Futaba 9-C with a 2.4 module and I keep looking for sales/deals on there RXs and so far I haven't found anything except full retail. I would stick with Futaba though and do like Andy said and go look and feel. Read the instructions and twist some knobs and buttons, flip a switch or two. Then do some serious thinking before you put your money down. A radio is with you for a very long time so choose wisely weed hopper.
The following users liked this post:
curtthedirt (05-18-2023)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

I have a JR 9503 and love it. But if I were to buy a non JR today, I would be looking at the Hitec 9 & DX8
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Tarasdad

I just went through the same decision process myself. Long time Futaba fan, but when it came time for my first 2.4g system I purchased the Hitec Optic 6. Transmitter and 2 receivers for under $250 shipped is hard to beat.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

The 8FG is a smoking deal! very advanced (but easy) programming..
free upgrades...

and with the most recent download... it is a true 14 channel radio!!

Take a look at it.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 AM
lrglnman

Dang! I was hoping you all would give me a good solid choice on which way to go. Still so many options. Looks like the hitec is winning so far and that was the one i was leaning toward or the spektrum 8 channel. I will study hard on the hitec ,sounds like it will do what i want it to do
Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always hear fly what hey do at your filed. If that is the case, why are there so many questions about radios on these forums? To get a radio, just because some one at the field has one is not a reason to buy a radio. Are you going to buy a car just because some one you know from the filed has one? To me, that is not a reason to get a radio.

First thing is to see how the radio feels in your hands. If it does not feel good in your hands, there is no reason to get it. I held a Futaba and did not like it. Yet the JR felt well balanced.

Another thing to look at is the cost of the Rx's. They will add up to a lot more then the cost of the Tx.

Programming any of the newer radios is about as easy as you can get. I spent about 45 minutes learning how the programming on a DX6 worked. Once I figured it out, it was not bad. I have watched a few JR's and see how they do it. But I still say Airtronics has the easiest programming out there.

Just my opinion, but not looking at the Airtronics is a mistake. They make a very good product.

Buzz.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: lrglnman

Dang! I was hoping you all would give me a good solid choice on which way to go. Still so many options. Looks like the hitec is winning so far and that was the one i was leaning toward or the spektrum 8 channel. I will study hard on the hitec ,sounds like it will do what i want it to do
Everyone has there own favorites and no one can choose for you. So far I haven't heard anything bad about the Hitec A-9.
BLVD, using what is number one at your local field is only one part of deciding. I fly with about 35 guys. Number one radio is the JR or Spektrum. I like the higher end JRs but I don't care for how the DX7 programs. There are a couple of us with upgraded Futaba 9-C and I love it. I like there new 10 better but I'm not spending that kind of money on a new radio when it only cost me a couple of bucks to upgrade my old radio.
I think there is only one guy with an Airtronics, maybe two. I think they are a good deal for a cheap radio and are great for a weekend sport pilot. Airtronics have just never been popular radio here or in Calif. where I used to fly? If someone needs help with one they are on there own.
You make your choice and put your money down.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

You might want to wait until after Toledo. XPS is supposed to introduce a new transmitter to blow all the others away.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gray Beard, I have to disagree that if you need help, you are on your own. There are a lot more people here at this club, then the physical club. I just do not understand when people always say "fly what others at your club fly" when there is more knowledge and experience here then at the club. Plus, when the weather is bad, you can still come here and get your questions answered.

Calling Airtronics a cheap radio and good for sport flying is not accurate. They are not cheap and are used in competitions. I can remember when that is what Hitec was called. I do agree Airtronics is just not as popular as JR, Futaba, but that does not mean they are not any less of a of radio. Have you looked at the SD10G?

I do not want this to turn into my truck is better then your truck.

Buzz.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Gray Beard

I understand you but it is a cheap radio, that's why it's a good deal for sport pilots. I have never seen one used in comp. not even once. If your at a field and you need help you aren't going to go home to come onto RCU to ask a question. If someone is having a problem setting something up with a futaba there are severl of us that know the programs very well, even more guys that know there Spek and JRs, that's getting help when you need it. When someone has a problem with a YS the other guys send them down to me, i'm the only user of the YS engines where I fly. Or they could go home and pull up RCU. What others are using where you fly isn't a deciding point but it is part of the thought process. Have you ever asked yourself why you see very few ATs?? Did you ever go to the Castle IMAA event there in CALIF. I was the safety officer for the club that put the event on. One day we went into impound and counted the different brands of radios used. Over 200 radios in impound and not one Airtronics. I have no idea why, I won't debate it but it was a fact. Maybe high dollar giant scale pilots know something about radios we don't?? It's still a personal choice. If I had the money I would have a new Futaba 10. I just can't afford one and I'm at an age where I don't know how many more years I will be able to keep flying RC. My old radio works just fine. Well, there is a slight problem with the idle trim lever but it still works.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:09 PM
lrglnman

good info guys! ty. i chose the hitec 9. i like the idea it can keep up with the onboard battery. and it somehow which i aint figured out yet can run 72 mhrz. seems like the radio that should last me along time. and the touch screen is a nice feature too.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 AM
SharpProp

The module for 72 MHz will be released towards the end of the month. You are going to love this radio.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:19 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a smokin"deal on a Dx7 couldnt pass it up,,,,now the next thing is trying to figure how it works.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 PM
BillyGoat

Gray Beard, if you haven't seen an AT radio at competitions your not at the right ones. If you go to sailplane event AT is about all your going to see. It's been that way for decades. In Pattern their new 10ch is gaining in popularity quite rapidly. Maybe these groups know something the rest don't?

The only reason I brought up AT is I keep reading over and over how "intuitive" the programming is on the new 10ch. Guys that were flying high end JR's and Futaba's bought that radio and claimed to program the radio without even cracking the cover on the instruction book. Heli guys are loving this radio. Now when they say programing is easy you know it is considering all the stuff going on with swash mixing, pitch curves, throttle curves, various flight modes, etc. I spent a day programing my first Heli on my Hitec. Lastly... Apparently AT's 2.4 system offers the fastest latency of anybody. Maybe that's the reason for the surge by pattern flyers.

Now I'm not trying to sell this radio to anybody. It's just that there has been a lot of noise about this radio lately and think its a mistake to discount it just because its not the same Kool Aid everybody else drinking. This radio certainly has my attention.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 AM
jstrach

ORIGINAL: SharpProp

Just bought a Hitec Aurora 9, that I absolutely love. The programming is fantastic. You can make any switch do anything that you want. The adjustment feature lets you tweak a mix while your flying. The telemetry for the battery is available right out of the box, and it works beautifully. Also, its a modular system and soon they will have the Spectra Pro module which will let you fly your old FM receivers. Good luck in your choice.
I purchased a Futaba 7C 2.4 and I really, really like it. I however have read good things about the Aurora 9. The wise men in the club seem to favor Hitec although I'm not entirely sure why that is. As far as dependability and performance, I've not heard one being better than the other. I've heard whispers of some brands requiring the flyer to re-sync the Rx with the Tx. I don't recall which brand they were talking about - but I can tell you my Futaba 7C has been bullet-proof so far. <knock on wood>

I think it comes down to price. I will say, one thing I would like my 7C to have is an illuminated LCD display.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

Unless your looking for a reason to buy a new radio, why not just get a "hack" kit and change your old 7 channel over to 2.4 for about $40?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14353
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14348
Old 04-04-2011, 02:29 PM
lrglnman

Ya know whats sad? any radio in the 8 to 9 channel range is gonna coust the consumer 350-500$ . The radio itself prolly only cost less than 50$ to make if that. I ended up getting the Hitec 9 channel arora and I only got to hold it for just a few moments before the wife almost caught me with it. Whew very close call there! So its gonna be a few days before i can really get to play with it. gotta find he right time so she dont see it. I have the futaba 7 cap 72 and its a fantastic radio. easy to navagate but i really like the hitec for its features. just wish she would take a trip somewhere so i can play with it.[&o]
Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 AM
BillyGoat

James, if your wife is like mine she will never know the difference. She couldn't pick my Tx out of a line up of one. A good indicator that she has no clue what type of gear you have will be if she refers to your different planes by color only. Or if you do like I do and pull one out of the shop that you haven't flown in a long time and she say's "where did that one come from?" If you get these indicators your fine to walk around the house with your shinny new Tx like you've owned it for years.

Of course the key to avoiding detection is getting the old Tx out of the house ASAP. Sell it quick so you don't get caught with two at once.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I brought my new Aurora 9 home from the Toledo Show. My wife was impressed with the fact that I bought it "On Sale." It's all in how you present it to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.