Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

DUDE!! Can you just shut up??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

DUDE!! Can you just shut up??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DUDE!! Can you just shut up??

Our man would read about something in an old Model Magazine and then question other people at the field to see if they gave the right answers. If not, he would proceed, in detail, to explain the answers he was looking for. This seemed to happen every time he showed up at the field.

We got wise and when he would start in with his questions, we would ask his opinion and agree with his answers and walk away saying, "Ya, I knew that". After a while, he got the message.

Ken AMA 1528

Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: golf4two

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo
Brother, you got that right. When I started Navy flight training, we were told that to be a successful naval aviator you had to be your own worst critic. I was that, until I got married. Now I'm a distant second.
Most excellent observation! Hope you don't mind when I include your statement in the ''Humor Section'' of my next club newsletter!

Rick-AF Retired
Not at all...I'd be honored!

Seriously though, some good comments lately. As has been mentioned, most of these types are just trying, albeit at times a bit too hard, to be part of the club. While it's fun to poke a little 'fun' here, for some of these guys the RC club might be the only family they have.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:42 AM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

Wait until he's the club president like happened here.

Same situation here in deland. If this guy sees you doing something wrong he walks over and tells you exactaly how to do it.Luckily he is right most of the time so he isnt doing to much damage.... He just needs to shut up!!! (He dosen't like it if you buy the wrong voltmeter/tachometer. Even something like that sets him off...)
Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Crash P51
My Feedback: (59)

STEP ON HIS PLANE BY ACCIDENT
Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Jazzy

I can relate. Sometimes you want to go to the flying field to simply relax and unwind while getting a little dreamy because of the addictive and beautiful smell of castor/synthetic exhaust oils. Sometimes we are in a great mood and can easily tolerate the Over-helpers and Flight-line Pros. Other times we can barely tolerate ourselves let alone some annoying - yet mostly harmless - PITA. It just takes some time and understanding to be able to effectively deal with these people.
Oh hell. I admit at one point in time I know I was a bit too cocky with my knowledge and abilities and tried to impress it upon others. Crow is best served fresh but if you wait too long to eat, it will start to rot and that is just plain bad. I apologized and made things right.
We all have our moments.

Try giving them something to do when the Club Know-It-All comes around!? Like organizing the wrenches in your field box - after removing the tray they are in from the field box. "Gee, the grass needs cutting around the shelter - do you think you could do that?" Engage them once by asking them how to better affix the tail-wheel on your aircraft. "Could you go count the pins in the pin-box?" "How about coming back after I get a couple flights in and then we can discuss it." Etc.
Hehe, while violence is still part of our instinctive response and we REALLY want to release it sometimes, we ARE supposed to be better than that!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jazzy

Try giving them something to do when the Club Know-It-All comes around!? Like organizing the wrenches in your field box - after removing the tray they are in from the field box. ''Gee, the grass needs cutting around the shelter - do you think you could do that?'' Engage them once by asking them how to better affix the tail-wheel on your aircraft. ''Could you go count the pins in the pin-box?'' ''How about coming back after I get a couple flights in and then we can discuss it.'' Etc.
Hehe, while violence is still part of our instinctive response and we REALLY want to release it sometimes, we ARE supposed to be better than that!
I am surprised more folks don't know what to do with this type of person. You hit the nail on the head. Talkers rarely like work, that is why they spend all their time talking. Now there is a difference between social conversation and knowing more than a super genious bore you out of your mind conversation.

All you have to do is give them work to do a couple times and that will instantly end your relationship with them It is very simple. Start walking up to the mower shed and say, "I need you to start mowing..." or, tell them you want them to go move 15 cases of glow fuel, or get out the paint and paint the flight stand and mower shed. Gets 'em every time. There is always work around an RC field.

I can also get rid of a salesmen quicker then you can imagine. My wife loves my method as it is very effective and they don't call back either! The first thing I do when a salesman tries to sell me something is I immediately start to sell him something...believe me that ends the convo extremely fast and it is humorous too!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

I re-visit this thread just to watch the video.
Man, it's been a long winter.
Great thread!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Lamoilleriver

ORIGINAL: CottcoRC

I re-visit this thread just to watch the video.
Man, it's been a long winter.
Great thread!

Yep! cabin fever if I ever saw it.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 PM
speedkills69

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Try giving them something to do when the Club Know-It-All comes around!? Like organizing the wrenches in your field box - after removing the tray they are in from the field box. ''Gee, the grass needs cutting around the shelter - do you think you could do that?'' Engage them once by asking them how to better affix the tail-wheel on your aircraft. ''Could you go count the pins in the pin-box?'' ''How about coming back after I get a couple flights in and then we can discuss it.'' Etc.
I am surprised more folks don't know what to do with this type of person. You hit the nail on the head. Talkers rarely like work, that is why they spend all their time talking. Now there is a difference between social conversation and knowing more than a super genious bore you out of your mind conversation.

All you have to do is give them work to do a couple times and that will instantly end your relationship with them It is very simple. Start walking up to the mower shed and say, "I need you to start mowing..." or, tell them you want them to go move 15 cases of glow fuel, or get out the paint and paint the flight stand and mower shed. Gets 'em every time. There is always work around an RC field.

I can also get rid of a salesmen quicker then you can imagine. My wife loves my method as it is very effective and they don't call back either! The first thing I do when a salesman tries to sell me something is I immediately start to sell him something...believe me that ends the convo extremely fast and it is humorous too!
I'd be just brutally honest and tell him off and let him know how you feel. Believe or not some people are slow when you're trying to just give them a hint.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 PM
speedkills69

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

I'd be just brutally honest and tell him off and let him know how you feel. Believe or not some people are slow when you're trying to just give them a hint.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:11 PM
SCOTT42

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqXdg7ZDLc[/youtube]
OK, OK, I was wrong! I can admit that. I cant belive that this thread has gone this far, it really wasnt that big of a deal,or so I thought? Im most certainly not perfect, nor do I try to be, I am confident on what I can do and dont push my limits on what I know is out of my skill range. But after 7 years of flying, I think Ive got it down and dont like haveing a guy with 2 years exsperianc telling me how to fly, how to land, even how to load my planes in my truck. I like the guy, I know he would do anything to help out when and where its needed, he has been over to my house and helped me with a plane or two once before. Just after about an hour of being around him I get to the point of where I want to say " Can you shut the @#@# up!!! Last time he came over I had my wife come out to the garadge and say that there has been a family emergency and we need to leave right away.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:09 PM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: SCOTT42

Last time he came over I had my wife come out to the garadge and say that there has been a family emergency and we need to leave right away.
Cousin Billy Bob is drunk, chasing the neighbor's goat around with a pair of rubber boots in one hand and some lip stick in the other?? Again?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:14 AM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Perhaps, but you've authored one of the funniest threads of all time -LOL.

What other topicsdo you have in mind?- LMAO!

ORIGINAL: SCOTT42

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqXdg7ZDLc[/youtube]
OK, OK, I was wrong! I can admit that. I cant belive that this thread has gone this far, it really wasnt that big of a deal,or so I thought? Im most certainly not perfect, nor do I try to be, I am confident on what I can do and dont push my limits on what I know is out of my skill range. But after 7 years of flying, I think Ive got it down and dont like haveing a guy with 2 years exsperianc telling me how to fly, how to land, even how to load my planes in my truck. I like the guy, I know he would do anything to help out when and where its needed, he has been over to my house and helped me with a plane or two once before. Just after about an hour of being around him I get to the point of where I want to say " Can you shut the @#@# up!!! Last time he came over I had my wife come out to the garadge and say that there has been a family emergency and we need to leave right away.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 AM
SCOTT42

HUM??? Let me think about it a few minuets!