Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fuel tank for 4 stroke

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuel tank for 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 PM
jojoegen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel tank for 4 stroke

Hi my friends.I have an arf that fill not fit the 12 oz tank which is recommended for a 40-6- 2 stroke.I,m putting in a saito 72 4s but can only fit an 8 oz.Will this be ok ?I usually only fly 8-10 min. atone time and don't want to run out of fuel.Whatcha think? Thanx
Old 04-09-2011, 07:05 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fuel tank for 4 stroke

It should be fine. 4-strokes are generally pretty efficient when tuned well. I would just make a few short flights and determine how long you can go and still have some reserve for landing.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

What kind of "ARF" is it?? 8oz seams small for the biggest tank that will fit. You could look at the Sullivan flex tanks. There made of a flexible plastic that allows you to fit it through some smaller openings.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXFU72&P=8
Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Figure about 1 minute per ounce of fuel. Sullivan makes a bunch of different shapes so not only look at the flex tanks but look at some of the different shapes and sizes. Id doesn't hurt to use a grinder and remove a little bulk head to get in a bigger tank. With the bigger engine it may also change your CG to a bit nose heavy so you may be able to move the tank to a different location too. A lot of ways to get around a small problem.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:36 AM
jojoegen

Hey Scooter,There is no way to get inside to shave down the wood inside.I tried.I was looking at the flex.There are plywood blocks inside I cant get at..They are part of the eng.rails that where not shaved down to allow a 12 oz. tank as recommenged.They run inside a preformed plastic fuse.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:48 AM
Augie11

You should be able to easily get 10 minutes out of the 8oz. tank with that engine tuned properly once it is broken in provided you don't fly around at full throttle all the time. I find that most planes call for too large a tank...unless you like to fly 20 minute flites.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Gray Beard

Look on the net at different shaped tanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 AM
jojoegen

did it already but after chizeling out the wood I got a flex tank (10 oz.) . weakened tank flooring but epoxied all together.and will finish my butcher job with glass mat and epoxy.Ya see,between your brain and my inginuity we did it.Thanks to all my new friends.Hope I can help you some day.See ya gray beard
Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
8-10 oz tank are the size to use for a .40-.46 two stroke...bigger tank and you get into trouble.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
8-10 oz tank are the size to use for a .40-.46 two stroke...bigger tank and you get into trouble.
Get into trouble???? Were talking glow fuel, not girls. Kidding aside, what kind of trouble would that be? A stiff neck from flying too long? Sore legs?? Watering eyes??