Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Table top band saw

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Table top band saw

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
andrewskj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Table top band saw

Need to get a saw for the workshop and I think the most versitle and used is the band saw . What is the best to buy for the money . Space is limited . Thanks Ken
Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Table top band saw

If you have a nearby Sears, they sometimes have a nice deal on a return, or reconditioned one..
Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

If you can, buy a variable speed version. A band saw is really overkill for most Balsa. Variable speed will allow you to slow it down, which will help not destroy balsa and also give you the ability to cut metal. I have a 12" floor model band saw, and do almost all my cutting on a 40 year old Dremel scroll saw. It's easier and accurate.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Nothing handier than a band saw for building. If you decide on a tabletop version, stay away from the ones with 3 wheels. They tend to break blades easily. Mine did. I made a rip fence and mitre jig for mine and use it like a tablesaw.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always used a scroll saw for my kit cutting. A kit includes a lot more then just balsa but they work very well for my use. Last week I cut a kit and posted it in kit building but this time I went to my wood working club and used a band saw. It was a lot quicker and easier then using my scroll saw. I cut a complete kit for an 80 inch Sukhoi in one hour and 40 minutes. Quite a bit quicker then my scroll saw. If you go to or look up Harbor Frieght you can find some good deals on both band and scroll saws. I have a small table top band saw but it just doesn't have the power for thicker wood.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I would advise is buy decent quality. I bought one at the Home Depot at a price that sounded to good to be true. Gues what? It is a piece of junk. Ihate it. I am not saying to go out and buy the most high dollar, professional woodworkers saw either. Just something a step up from the bottom.

You'd be surprised at what is on Craigslist and at garage sales. You might get lucky and find an older bandsaw from back in the day when they were built out of some serious metal.

Igot my scroll saw from a guy who bought a truckload of returned Sears merchandise. It had been dropped and the the plate that covers the end of the motor was bent and rubbing on the motor fan. A few taps on the plate with a hammer and it works perfect.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have one from Sears that works pretty well. Only problem is that they do not offer a metal cutting blade in the right length. I wish I could cut metal on it. I also have some cheap, junk, made in China tools that I wish I hadn't purchased.
Chuck
Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I use a scroll saw a lot. Next item to purchase is a belt/disc sander. I have access to a band saw if I need it, but I haven't had the need yet. I intend to cut my own wood and build from plans soon but I still think I will use the scroll saw in preference to the band saw. I do see a need for the sander to do this though.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
SharpProp

I would suggest a scroll saw if your just using it for balsa. You can get around tight corners with those little blades
Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can also do inside cuts in bulkheads and ribs with a scroll saw not with a band saw.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a Craftsman from Sears. I think it was on sale $109.00. Pretty hard to beat for the money. I only use mine for ply so i can't speak to the balsa issues. It has paid for it's self in the last two years. Very handy to have in the shop.

David
Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 AM
carrellh

I have a Ryobi that cost around $100 at Home Depot. On thing to look for is a smooth surface where the wood will be. My brother had a Delta and it had grooves that made it hard to slide small sticks around.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Whistling Death

I have the [link=http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00921400000P?vName=Power+Tools+%26+E quipment&cName=Power+Tools&sName=Bench+Power+Tools&prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=L8#custReviewsWrapper]Crafstman 10" band saw[/link] and it is one of the most used tools in my shop along with my [link=http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=100061671&R=100061671]Ridgid oscillating sander.[/link]
I caught the band saw on sale for $109.99