Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Add ailerons to SIG Senior?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Add ailerons to SIG Senior?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Dzlstunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add ailerons to SIG Senior?

I have acquired a SIG Senior with the no-ailerons wing. Has anyone added strip ailerons to one of these? If so, what size, and what were the results? Thanks in advance for any contributions, Dzl
Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Add ailerons to SIG Senior?

This is done quite frequently. Do a search, preferably using GOOGLE( see down this page for the box) on say "Sig Kadet Senior + ailerons" or "Aileron modifications" and you should come up with several resource threads.......
Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Several times during the build but I haven't ever done it after the fact. Thr result is a much better roll rate, easier to line up for landings and keep level. The plane was designed without them and isn't hard to fly at all as a three channel. It's just a very relaxing floater. I like them with and without.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When SIG was asked that question their tech's suggestion was to use strip ailerons. This would allow the use of a single aileron servo center mounted and no mods to the wing structure.

I had a friend that donated a wing half of a Senior ARF that utilizes barn door ailerons. These require the use of two servos (with attendant mounting bays) and modifying the wing's structure. Since I could tear an ARF wing apart it was easy to pencil in the ARF wing structure mods to the plans.

IHMO - since the ARF very successfully utilizes barn doors - no brainer - the kit with this mod will fly much like the ARF. Strip ailerons are easy but getting the right size and "differential" dialed in is more of a question.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What will happen if you add strip ailerons or for that matter barn door types to a Senior Kaydet that was built without ailerons and utilized the stock dihedral per plans is a very unresponsive roll and not what most are looking for but quite the opposite effect. Actually the airplane will be less responsive than with just rudder control. I did just this years ago and that was the result. So my current Kaydets have the appropriate dihedral

To make it work properly if you add ailerons you must cut the wing apart and reduce the dihedral roughly about half of what the stock is.

Barn doors in my opinion are better and easier than strips. I say this because the stock trailing edge for strips must be cut down to have reasonable thickness to attach the strip ailerons to and this is actually removes a bit much resulting in a more flexable wing. Even if I did strips I would still use two servos working in very simple surface mounts, not lieing on their sides on plates. This makes adjustment far easier.

Here is the barn door types I added to my Quad Kaydet.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56588.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1596512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73362.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1596513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40363.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	1596514  
Old 04-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Dzlstunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the kind replies and suggestions. I think I will go with John's idea, which is not to mess with a good thing. Dzl
Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

What will happen if you add strip ailerons or for that matter barn door types to a Senior Kaydet that was built without ailerons and utilized the stock dihedral per plans is a very unresponsive roll and not what most are looking for but quite the opposite effect. Actually the airplane will be less responsive than with just rudder control. I did just this years ago and that was the result. So my current Kaydets have the appropriate dihedral

To make it work properly if you add ailerons you must cut the wing apart and reduce the dihedral roughly about half of what the stock is.

Barn doors in my opinion are better and easier than strips. I say this because the stock trailing edge for strips must be cut down to have reasonable thickness to attach the strip ailerons to and this is actually removes a bit much resulting in a more flexable wing. Even if I did strips I would still use two servos working in very simple surface mounts, not lieing on their sides on plates. This makes adjustment far easier.

Here is the barn door types I added to my Quad Kaydet.

John

I didn't know that, I have never built one with the stock dihedral in it though, not flat but nothing like is called for. I like them fine as a three channel.