Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Throw rate issues with ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Throw rate issues with ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw rate issues with ailerons

I started doing throw rates on one of my aircraft and when I get my left aileron correct with what I want, my right aileron would be off on the throw rate. Then, when I set the right aileron the left would be off.

What would do that? And what is the solution?

I don't see any warpage, and this is the first time I've seen this happen in the 10 years I've been building planes.

Pete

Old 04-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Throw rate issues with ailerons

Pete, is that two alieron servos or one?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Oberst
Banned

One servo for each aileron. I have a Y-harness and extention. If the RX battery is low could it do that? The plane is not on full charge.

Pete
Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The battery could be a factor if you getting some bind near the point of full throw.

But in general, you need to make sure you start angles are the same, both should be at 90 degrees to the push rod when centered so you don't get varring exponential though the cycle.
You also want everything to match mechanically as much as possible before you start playing with sub trims and EPAs

You probably have some angle mis-match issue, you're better off if you have a two aileron servo mix using that

good luck
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

since you are running a Y, the two linkages need to be EXACTLY the same.... and the servos need to have equal throw...
it can be done...

but you might think about putting each AIL servo on its own channel and then you have freedom to fine tune at the radio.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

The battery could be a factor if you getting some bind near the point of full throw.

But in general, you need to make sure you start angles are the same, both should be at 90 degrees to the push rod when centered so you don't get varring exponential though the cycle.
You also want everything to match mechanically as much as possible before you start playing with sub trims and EPAs

You probably have some angle mis-match issue, you're better off if you have a two aileron servo mix using that

good luck

Ok. I'll check it and charge up the batter and I'll go from there.

Thank you, it's a bit frustrating.

Pete
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

since you are running a Y, the two linkages need to be EXACTLY the same.... and the servos need to have equal throw...
it can be done...

but you might think about putting each AIL servo on its own channel and then you have freedom to fine tune at the radio.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

it can be done...

What he said.

Any chance you have a used Hitec that someone was playing with a programmer with?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I'm not really sure what is going on, but understand that when using 2 servos with a wye, that both servos are affected when you adjust, epa, sub trim, trims, etc. or what ever. They are not separate, and actually act like just 1 servo. You need to use separate channels for each servo to get independent adjustment for each servo.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, loose the Y if you can. Pretty much everything everyone else said. If the battery is down it will not operate any of the servos, not just the two aileron servos. It does sound like one servo isn't centered. Set your trim at center then work from there. Make sure the servos are the same too, make and model. Some brands may throw more then others and not center as well. It's just something minor but you have been looking at it too long so it is kicking your butt.I just had my butt kicked and after I gave up I discovered the servo arms were the wrong make/size and would slip when put under any pressure. Talk about chasing something simple.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:10 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also get differential the old fashioned way... mechanically, by adjusting the arm on the servo, etc. The radio method is eaisewr however.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I can boil a kettle on the stove for 10 minutes, or I can get hot water for tea in 20 seconds in the microwave
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 PM
perreback

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

I can boil a kettle on the stove for 10 minutes, or I can get hot water for tea in 20 seconds in the microwave

Of course, tea made on water that has actually boiled tastes better...
Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Tea must be steeped!!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 AM
Oberst
Banned

I got it!

I have not ever had a issue with a Y-harness unless I pulled it out of a crashed plane. Maybe I'm just lucky? I have flapperons on my seaplane, so I know how to set it up to have each servo going into a different channel. (One master one slave)

I did have a slight warp in my right aileron, but that wasn't the problem. I changed servo's, Y- harness and extention and I was still getting the same issue. So I put back what I had, but kept the newer Y-harness in and tried to figure out what the heck was going on. What a pain in the butt!

Then I found it! My right control arm was off by 2 teeth on the servo, it wasn't exacly the same on the other end. (Both servo's were facing each other and weren't getting the same throw) Once I adjusted the control arm, now I have equal control throw. Strange!

Someone asked if I had a Hitec? No, most of my planes are all JR except my seaplane, that has Hitec Servo's, wiring and a Airtronics Receiver that's controlled by a JR Radio.

Thanks everyone! Headache relieved.

Pete