Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

mounting a muffler on a soft mounted engine?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

mounting a muffler on a soft mounted engine?

Old 08-13-2003, 11:50 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mounting a muffler on a soft mounted engine?

Looking for some set-up/mounting suggestions. On my BT Mustang I'm running an Enya 1.20R 4-stroke with a custom muffler (that looks like a walker car muffler) and it works quite well. The problem i'm running into is that the engine is soft mounted and the header/muffler combo is fairly long, and what is happening is that the muffler is fixed quite snuggly at the rear and with the engine vibrating it continues to either loosen at the engine head (it's the 2-bolt flange style connection there), or the flex tubing between my header and the muffler breaks.

Is there a better way to mount this combination or would simply losening the rear mount help by allowing the muffler to move with the engine? I'll try and post some pics, but any thoughts would be appretiated.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:02 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems to me that if the engine moves and the muff doesn't, you will have problems. How long is the tube between them? I would maybe make that tube longer and give it room to flex. Use something like Macs silicone pipe tubing or something like that so it will flex. I don't think loosening the muffler will help if it is connected to the plane, the air currents will make it move and cause all kinds of problems.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:21 AM
Azcat59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we started soft-mounting the engines in pattern to keep down the noise, we ran into the same problem with our tuned pipes and headers. Found that we had to soft mount the pipe as well, and allow it to move a little bit. I think you will have to do that in your situation.

Clair
Old 08-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Hurri

Sean , I have an Enya 120R . Pretty old now , I lost 3 mufflers thru the soft mount deal . I have a DR1 & connect exhaust to a remote Muff; by the electric BX type alum; flex . Also the plate holding the muff; on had 2 tiny soc; hd screws , had to retap & put in 4/4o screws . maybe yours is a newer method . I have also modified the outlet from the cyl/head for a better exhaust .
I am the guy who has the AVRO 504K on your site .
Old 08-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Dave Brown makes a nice little tuned pipe mount called a Vibra-Damp Hush Clamp that's worked real well for me. It costs about $6.50