Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Where do you keep your RC Planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Where do you keep your RC Planes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 07:30 PM
pgesler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you keep your RC Planes?

Just wondering where to store my planes. I do not have a basement or empty bedroom. The garage or attic is the only place but I don't want to leave them out in the open where the kids can get in to them. The attic seems to be my best solution but it can get as high as 140F on a hot day. Is this too hot for the planes w/servos?

I need ideas such as is there something special made for this purpose or has anyone built something to solve their problem.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:25 PM
BingoFlyer

I would not store my planes or electronic equipment in the attic. We live in a gated adult comunity in central Florida and I hang my planes from the celling in the garage. We do have a sliding screen door that makes it very hard to see into the garage when the main door is open. I remove the batteries in the summer and bring them into the a/c portion of the house (heat is the worse enemy of batteries and is why overcharging is so hard on them).
Old 04-14-2002, 10:44 PM
pgesler

How do you hang them from the ceiling? With the wing attached to the fuselage or seperate?
Old 04-14-2002, 11:05 PM
Blackie

Seperate the wing from the fuse and use book shelf racks with pipe insulation over the brackets to store your wings on. There are several methods to hang your fuselage from the ceiling.

Randy
Old 04-15-2002, 01:12 AM
Bruce L Prater

DO NOT store in attic, I know of several planes that were stored in an attic and then sold, they all crashed do to structural failers. The heat dries out the wood and the glues. I hang mine from the rafters in my shop, some with wings on, some off.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:00 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I use the same method as Randy. The brackets that fit into the tracks are adjustable, which is nice.

Mike
Old 04-17-2002, 04:05 AM
gpmikemorse-RCU

It's hard to describe without a picture (the digital camera is on order), but basically, what I did was build a shelf all the way around my workshop, 1' from the ceiling. That gave me a *lot* of space to store planes without really cutting into the workshop space at all. I used wire shelving from Home Depot which is really easy to install. As a bonus, many of the wings fit in the angled brackets that support the shelves.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:14 AM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

I found a practical solution that may interest you. I was down at the local hobby shop where I found out that hanger 9 makes wing racks and fuse holders. They are inexpensive, easy to install, and work rather well. I put a wing rack and fuse holder in my garage. They are out of reach from my children and I didnt have to make them myself, which means more time working on airplanes. :thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8704_5650.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	5864  
Old 04-17-2002, 04:15 AM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

fusealage holder!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8706_5650.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	5865  
Old 04-17-2002, 04:48 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the tips and techniques forum too on this as there is a long thread there on storage and hanging with lots of pics and ideas...
Old 04-17-2002, 01:32 PM
pgesler

Thanks everyone on some good ideas. Keep the thread going if anyone has more ideas.

gpmikemorse: I was at Lowes the other day looking for ideas when I saw their shelving - had the same as idea that you mentioned. Do you have to tie the wings to the shelving so that the wind doesn't bother them when the garage door is open?
Old 04-17-2002, 06:07 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sky hooks

I screw bolts (2) with eyelet ends (from the hardware store) into my garage ceiling. Spaced about 3-4 feet apart. Depewnding on size of fuse but not important as the bungee stretches.

Then I hook a bungee on each eyelet, hook both ends of the bungee to the eyelet.

I put the nose (behind the prop in horizontal) into one end of the bungee and then hook the other end around the tail.
I leave wings on, they look beautiful hanging from there.

In fact a freind suggested I hang them inverted and that way the top of the plane doesn't get all dusty. Looks better too.

Never had any problem this way. Holding 20lb birds. Free's up room around the garage too. I even do this to projects in work.
Can always get a bungee up and around the fuse in two places and hooked up that way.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:24 PM
BingoFlyer

pgesler

The method I use is something that I put together using 1X2 pine. I glued and screwed three pieces in the form of a sq."C", I drilled two sets of 5/8 or 3/4" holes in the two sides and screwed the top to the ceiling (make sure you hit structual member) Using dowels I slip under the wing and hang plane assembled. I have a charging system at each location for charging and hang the transmitter on hooks that are screwed to the bottom of sides. Wish my camera was working I could post a picture better than my dicription.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:58 AM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I need to make a wing n' fuse rack soon, but for now in the shed in my backyard. The planes don't have the most room in the world, but it will do.