Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

New to building

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

New to building

Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Zostritch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to building

i am new to building Arf's i have recently purchased Phoenix Models Super Decathlon its and awesome looking plane
but im haveing 1 issue how to install the throttle cable in with the motor at a 45 degree angle. if i run it through the fuse i will have to bend it to reach the throttle linkage on the carb
am i thinking in the right direction?? just dont want to mess it up dont have local hobby shop available :P
Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New to building

You can use flex line. Its sorta like a brake cable on a bike. Tower/horizon sells them.

You can also bend the rod after you pass through the fire wall. Hard to explain. Lets say the hole is off by 3/4 of an inch. You can come through the fire wall and then bend the rod at like a 45deg angle in any direction, then bend it back at another 45deg to get it going straight to the carb. Or you can just put one bend in it and have a ball link or Z bend at the carb arm. There are lots of ways of doing it. Just have to make sure you have plenty of throw on your throttle rod.

I just took a picture of how its done on one of my planes. One bend going down to the carb. Its off my Iphone, so sorry about the quality.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77083.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1610573  
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can usually find throttle cable at your LHS, I use a lot of that . It's just a cable that runs through a plastic tube and can bend around things like fule tanks or take an angle. I have a pretty good stock of piano wire of different sizes and do like scooter, bring the wire out the fire wall and bend it so I have a straight shot to the throttle arm. You can bring out wire and bend it into a loop or U to come back to the carb. A hundred and one ways to do it.When you are assembling an ARF you have to be a bit creative. Make up your own servo rails to re-locate the servo so it's a straight shot to the arm. Doesn't hurt to drill a new hole in the fire wall.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 AM
Zostritch

Thank you both i will have lots of time this weekend to tackle this issue as it will be "Raining" [] but hopefully all should come out right 
Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zostritch

Thank you both i will have lots of time this weekend to tackle this issue as it will be ''Raining'' [] but hopefully all should come out right
Most any good hobby shop and most crappy ones will have piano wire and the throttle cable in stock. Even the flex line or nyrod Scooter mentioned. The cable and flex rod come in a long package and the piano wire is in a bin. Scooter and I have three hobby shops all in one area and they all carry these products. If hobby people stocks it you know it isn't anything rare.