Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Power is what i need!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Power is what i need!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Hnorth

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Power is what i need!

Fathers day is the third Sunday in June.....i think....... and i like to plan ahead and know what i am buying. So anyway, i go flying with my grandfather and i fly a Habu, T-28. Due to health issues and just he hates it, we have a power supply that weighs like 9.3 pounds. We are trying to find a power supply that is small compact and leightweight, yet we want it to have some juice to give our charger. We have a dual charging Triton, charges up to 2, 6 cells at once. Any suggestions would help!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power is what i need!

I use a car battery (Optima) in the back of my truck. Never let me down. I only need to trickle charge it once every month or two. It has a built in handle, so picking it up and setting it in the back of the truck is no problem.

Wait....your looking for something that is "small compact and lightweight". Sorry, read your post wrong.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:06 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm not seeing the problem,, you're young,, carry it for your grandpa
Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Hnorth

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

lol well i wont mind carrying it its just the voltage and the output of it.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With an AC/DC charger it's pretty easy to solder on one of the plugs that go into the lighter or computer outlet. That's where I plug my chargers into. I also use one of the auto jump starters for power and it has the outlet for one of those plugs or I can clip directly onto the jumper cables. It has also come in handy a couple of times to jump start cars.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:54 AM
jetmech05

Use one of those car jump start battery packs...can deliver up to 300 amps....you'll never need that much, but your chargers will only take what they need and no more...electricity is lazy.......
Old 05-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

If you buy one of the "jump starts" look for the amp hour capacity. that will tell you how many charges you can get. Buy the one with the highest amp hour rating, not cranking amps, that means nothing.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:43 AM
scale only 4 me

Most only have a 5-7 amp battery in them, same at a typical field box battery, @ 300 amps that won't last long

I use my truck battery at the field like other suggest,, If you need to charge away from where you're parked, you can get a Lawn tractor battery too, those aren't to heavy, and have about 140 amps

Still not 100% sure what the OP's question is
Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed a permanent fused hot cable from the trucks battery to near the tailgate with a simple buss box. Opening the hood all the time was something that is not really an option. When the supply is not in use the box is just closed and the the cable is coiled up and hung off to the side.

Only once did I use it just a little to much and that was related more to the fact that the trucks battery needed relacement. So I used the my jump starter box on the truck battery and got my butt on down to the auto parts place for a new battery

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93596.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1611657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73782.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1611658  
Old 05-20-2011, 05:37 AM
scale only 4 me

John, I had my last 2 trucks/shells set up with a sig lighter socket like that too,,

Ive been planning to make an extension that connects to the hot on the 7-pin trailer plug on my truck, then use a 25'-50' extension cord connected to a power box set up with a series of banana plugs. then I can move it around the pit/parking area,, I can actually take it over to the plane on the ground instead of bringing everything back to the truck

p.s.
My wife and I are thinking of where we want to relocate once we become Snowbirds,,, is that white stuff on your car what I think it is?? it look kinda familiar
Old 05-20-2011, 06:24 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool Scale that is certainly taking the idea to the limit and of course the versatility. I can,t use my trailer anymore but when I did I installed a deep discharge battery and an inverter for AC. It was relatively small and not a walk in so I have the same live buss box at the rear also from the forward battery.

Ya thats snow which we get it seems every two years need it or not. Everyone looks forward to it for the chance to fly the floats in the snow.

Here is a picture of the best one we ever had since I retired here and I had to go for the photo op with the airplanes in the snow in my front yard. I live alone and to get the assembled thirtyeights down to the sidewalk was a real challange. My driveway is on a slight down grade and as I carried the 38's in my arms in the wheelchair when i hit the downhill my feet and the chair just took off on the ice underneith the snow, doing slow pirouettes hangin on to the airplanes for dear life down and into the middle of the street.

Must have been a strange sight but outside of taking forever I got the Shots

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46406.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	1611670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74625.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	1611671  
Old 05-21-2011, 07:22 PM