Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to make cheap remote glow ignitor?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to make cheap remote glow ignitor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 02:19 AM
localbuyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make cheap remote glow ignitor?

My glow start came loose during startup and it was hit by the prop. Not pretty. How to build a simple clip or wire so I can put the glow starter away from the prop?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 02:29 AM
Dsegal

Go to www.sonictronics.com and take a look at their power and extension cords.

Dave Segal
Old 08-14-2003, 12:04 PM
frugalflyer

There are several suggestions for a home made clip on my page http://geocities.com/wisebrit
Old 08-14-2003, 12:42 PM
localbuyer

How do you connect the + and - ?

>>There are several suggestions for a home made clip on my page http://geocities.com/wisebrit
Old 08-14-2003, 04:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Solder them on, or get a battery holder from Radio Shack.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:35 PM
localbuyer

How to connect to the plug?
Old 08-14-2003, 05:44 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

These are very common on helicopters and can be bought for around $10. If you make one, the trick is obviously how to make the connections.

The easiest thing I've seen is an alligator clip on the top of the glow plug and a simple lug on the motor mount for grounding. The end with the battery can use any kind of connector. You can even mount the battery in the plane and have a switch to turn it on and off.

Tom
Old 08-14-2003, 07:26 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the remote adapter for that, but a lot of the guys here are going back to the wire on the battery. I stayed with them forever, and just recently bought the glow plug igniter from great planes. I like it because I don't have the wire on it, but still worry about it falling into the prop. I like the way it locks on though. SHould be fine.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:58 PM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

These seem to work pretty good:

http://www.eaglehobbies.com/

T.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:00 AM
heavy date-RCU

Default Attaching to plug

I have found a great way to attach a driver to the plug.

Just get a small ring terminal and a piece of musicwire that will fit in the crimp part of the terminal. Put the wire in the back end as normal and the music wire in the front so that it goes over the ring part of the terminal. Cut the music wire off flush with the end of the ring and put some heat shrink over the whole ting. Cut a small hole in the bottom of the terminal where the hole in the ring end is and just push it on the glow plug. The small piece of music wire catches in the groves on the plugs post and locks it on there good.

Hans
Old 08-15-2003, 01:16 PM
shenion

I have seen peple use the fabric snaps. If you ge the right size, it will snap on the end of the glow plug. Solder a wire on the snap.

Then use a headphone jack like used on a portable CD player. Put a wheel clollar on it.

Mount the jack where it is convenient and use heavy guage wire.

Works well, but I'ld just pay $10 to get a complete set-up instead of searching around for the parts.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:38 PM
john flynn

Hello fellas, Heavy Date, a drawing of your idea would be great, any chance of that? Regards, John.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:25 PM
r1morris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been making remote glow plug extensions for years. I like scale aircraft and try and hide the power plant as best I can .
Start with a 6-32 nylon insert lock nut Dubro makes them . 4 are about 80.cents. Get a piece of heavy copper wire that will just fit inside the nylon insert of the locknut. A good force fit works . The copper wire only sticks out of the lock nut enough for a glow igniter to attach.
The next step is tricky but not all that hard. You have to solder stranded copper wire to the bottom of the lock nut and not make contact with the copper wire. I use 22 gauge insulated copper stranded wire “Color doesn’t matter” Another stranded wire is soldered to the copper wire going through the lock nut. This heavy copper wire I cut and leave about 1 1/4 inches on the back side for mounting, I use a small piece of heat shrink tubing over the soldered wires and the copper wire . Next drill a hole in fuse and glue the assumably in with some epoxy make sure the nut stand away from the fuse about 3/32 of an inch so your igniter will hold .If the mounting area is not to strong use a piece of plywood to reinforce the area. Once installed I never worry about removing it. Now you have two wires going to the engine one I solder a lug onto and goes under one of the engine mounting screws. The other I solder to a wheel cooler that just fits over the end of the glow plug and is held in place with the set screw. I figure this whole process takes me less them 30 min and costs under $1.00.
2 inches of I think its # 10 gauge copper wire .
1 each 6-32 nylon insert lock nut
2 or 3 feet of 22 gauge insulated copper wire \
I small solder lug
1 wheel cooler to fit glow plug.
About 3/4 inch or heat shrink tubing and solder.

This has never failed me and is easy to do with very little cost.
Happy landings
Ron M
Old 05-17-2011, 05:30 AM
balsadust74
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: How to make cheap remote glow ignitor?

I purchased a plane that has a remote glow ignitor, with a female head phone jack plug in mounted in the fuselage of the plane. I have a male end of a head phone jack that will plug into it, my question is how do I wine the end that attaches to my glow plug ignitor. The glow plug ignitor I use is a Great Planes ProGlo NiCd Starters. Thank you for your time and suggestions.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: balsadust74

I purchased a plane that has a remote glow ignitor, with a female head phone jack plug in mounted in the fuselage of the plane. I have a male end of a head phone jack that will plug into it, my question is how do I wine the end that attaches to my glow plug ignitor. The glow plug ignitor I use is a Great Planes ProGlo NiCd Starters. Thank you for your time and suggestions.

This is what you need if you cannot use your ni starter directly on the glow plug. The ni-starter plugs into the fuselage mounted plate somewhere in the rear and the clip attachs to the glow plugs terminal with a ground lead mounted normally under an engine mount bolt.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XD694&P=7#tech
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this is what he is after. I make up my own remotes with the Mono Phone Jacks. I make up a male end that will connect into a power panel and I made up one that clips into my glow stick. This one is using one of the store bought ends that looks like a glow plug and I have made up several by converting a real glow plug but that is a bit harder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34378.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1610349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70450.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1610350  
Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Use one of these... http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Mode...sMainFrame.htm Scroll down, it's called a head lock.also here: http://www.centralhobbies.com/glow/headlock.htm The MK and Tetra are great.You can also easily make your own: Take a small wheel collar, solder on a wire the cover the deal with heat shrink. Use the gromet to tighted to top of plug. Also, get a small spring clip pin (the type of thing the buggy boys use to hold on the car body) Solder on wire... then clip it onto the plug grove. Use a silicon washer to stop it shorting on the cylider head. The best is to use the simplest, quickest most secure method that'll allow you to change plug without having to fiddle with the contraption. Go simple. It works.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those are what I use for four strokes. There is also another one I use for two strokes that is spring locked and looks like an auto spark plug boot. Both lock onto the plug very well. My LHS stocks them both.