Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Poll: High winds this weekend, Who flys in the wind?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I only fly if the wind is claim
2.21%
I only fly if the wind is <5 mph
4.78%
I only fly if the wind is <10 mph
12.87%
I only fly if the wind is <15 mph
27.94%
I only fly if the wind is <20 mph
20.96%
I only fly if the wind is <25 mph
10.66%
I only fly if the wind is <30 mph
5.51%
I'll Fly In a Huracan!!
15.07%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: High winds this weekend, Who flys in the wind?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:38 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poll: High winds this weekend, Who flys in the wind?

Will fly in winds up to 30mph, that is when pattern contests are called for wind. of course I prefer much less wind, but see sig line...
Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 AM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

If you get out early enough there are calm mornings to be found. This morning there was no wind at all, completely stale! Turns out I am no longer a no wind guy. it was miserable! The winds peaked around 17mph, but it went from 0 to 17 while I was in the air! Made it feel so much better out there.  Some wind is almost a requirement now isn't it?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think some planes are a lot of fun to fly in the wind. It is good to have a "wind" plane. Something like a stik. Mostly anything you are really comfortable with and not really concerned about incurring a little damage.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:49 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ESM P-51 is pretty solid in the wind, and handles it better than my Baby Boomer IMO. My experience is that higher wing-loaded planes (more lbs/sq inch of wing area) tend to not get tossed around like a foamie.

But beware of gusts! To me, gusts are the real threat. Add on a few extra knots on final, just like 'full scale' airplanes, and fly it onto the runway.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
nitroairplane

flew my micro stick in 25mph winds this plane only weighs 1.1 ounces so that was a challenge but luckily i did not break anything only bent a prop shaft but she still flew.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:11 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The winds aren't usually the problem, unless the wind is strong enough that the plane cannot penetrate. That is where it take you five minutes to fly upwind but only 5 seconds to go downwind. But wind gusts are bad. I really hate it when there is a lull and the wind dies down on a landing approach only to blow like mad just before you attempt to make a landing. You know its really bad when after landing the winds flip the plane over on you while it is stopped on the ground.

But as I get older and older, I am less inclined to fly when it is really windy, it isn't all that fun anymore. I still do have a couple of heavier planes with higher wing loadings that work well for windy days though.  Many years ago when electrics were in their infancy, I used to fly a overweight Ugly stick with a Astro-Flight 40 motor and 3 six cell 1500mah nicad packs i series. it worked pretty good until the winds got up over 25mph and then it had trouble penetrating the wind to get back to the flying field. I remember it being a bear to land as I almost needed full throttle to make a landing as it was so darn windy that day. That was a weird feeling to make a full throttle landing approach and I almost didn't make it back to the flying field too. I was really worried the battery pack would give out any second on me too.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:44 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

The airplane dont know its windy, only the meat sack holding the TX. I say if its time to fly its time to fly! Besides, learning to fly in the wind only makes you a better pilot, on the other hand sometimes you just dont want to deal with being blown to death!

My personal fav is flying the heli's in the wind.....thats some good fun right there!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have flown in 25 mile an hour wind, but my planes were always underpowered, and it could be scary.
I have sloped a heavy glider in 25, and it was pretty fun.
i have friends that prefer a good 10-15 mph for there ww2 warbirds..makes for nice landing speeds.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: huck1199

Here in western NY (Buffalo) our average wind speed is greater than Chicago; the windy city. The lake Erie westerly wind is great for sail boating but can be a problem for flying. I don't fly in greater than 15 mph because it is usaully gusty when it gets this high.
Actually the "Windy City" moniker for Chicago was dubbed for their early day orchestra's with large woodwind sections...nothing to do with the weather. A little useless trivia for you...
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I let the airplanes decide. My 1/2A's don't seem to like much more than 10-15 mph. My ShokJet, on the other hand, will take all the wind we ever get, and thrive. Crosswinds are easy, once you figure out that the throttle stick also goes side-to-side. Seeing a jet crawling toward the runway sideways is sometimes more fun than the flight itself. The wind is your friend. It's Gravity that can't be trusted.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:31 PM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

over the years ive learned to fly just about anything ... in any wind.. with a flying field thats on the top of a mountain in the appalachians you kinda have to.. i have a stable of aircraft that dont mind the wind and those are my goto when i know its going to be really windy.. anything over 25mph gusts... anything under i dont care what it is itll fly!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 PM
TimT2000

I have 3 planes I will fly in up to 25 mph winds,  My Q-500 racer,  Kaos,  and the Twinstar.

They all do well in the wind.  I keep the high $$ planes on the ground in these conditions.
Cheers
Tim

Old 06-03-2011, 08:44 PM
TimT2000

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

ORIGINAL: huck1199

Here in western NY (Buffalo) our average wind speed is greater than Chicago; the windy city. The lake Erie westerly wind is great for sail boating but can be a problem for flying. I don't fly in greater than 15 mph because it is usaully gusty when it gets this high.
Actually the "Windy City" moniker for Chicago was dubbed for their early day orchestra's with large woodwind sections...nothing to do with the weather. A little useless trivia for you...
Yea I heard that, I think the windy city record is some where in new england, maybe Boston.. or some where like that.

cheers
Tim

Old 06-03-2011, 08:57 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Its funny because I have often heard the WINDY CITY title was derived from the political climate.
Maybe EVERYTHING is windy about Chicago
Old 06-04-2011, 02:15 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ill fly if the winds are less that 30 if im desperate...i have a few planes that i dont mind risking....i havent lost one yet due to windy conditions BTW [8D]
10mph is my ideal flying wind speed...helps slow down certain planes, but doesnt effect the flying
lol you shoulda left the hurricane option out.... now the results are tainted
Old 06-04-2011, 06:22 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Wednesday night at the WRCC field was one of those rare occasions with <5mph and blue skies. If it's 25Km or less I would fly. Gusting to 40/60 km is another matter. If I waited for a calm day, I wouldn't have flown at all last year.

Jim
ORIGINAL: tryingagain

Spring and Fall here if you don't fly in a wind you don't fly. As long as it isn't strong enough to over power the plane, once you get used to it the wind just isn't that scary. Gusting is a completely different story. I can fly to compensate for a steady blow but if the gusts get too high the pucker factor goes up considerably.[sm=eek.gif]
Old 06-04-2011, 08:11 AM
luckyb

I fly in just about any wind. You have to or sit on the bench in South Florida. The warbirds tend to penetrate better because of weight and airfoil. One of the best times I had though was flying a Senior Kadet litterally backwards in a 30 mph wind. You just have to deal with it.........Doug
Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 AM
flyingfrog007

the way the wind has been blowing here in colorado if you cant or dont want to fly in the wind you might as get out of the hobby. now no how to fly in the wind bigger motor more power and let her rip
Old 06-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scooter, where you you?? No wind at all in the morning at the LB. When I left the house it was blowing here though. I was in the air by 8, lot of the weekend regulars out there, the working guys anyway. I had just landed and kicking back watching my neighbor fly his Cub. He landed and we were just shooting the breeze when out of nowhere it hit all at once. Knocked over his wooden box/stand with his plane still sitting on it. I thought the plane was crushed, not a scratch? The table next to me got lifted up but the guy save it before it went over. I looked down the line and tables and planes were getting moved to the take off line. Biggest dust devil I had ever seen kicked up way down at the end of the LB. Really didn't stop anyone from flying but it was great watching AC try to get his Chipmunk to touch down. It wasn't as much strong as gusty and it came up without a warning. I put in a couple more flights then got tired of the dust being blown into the van. From 8 to 10 was really calm.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 PM
rctech2k7

Depends on the plane, some aircraft doesn't even to penetrate in the high wind. Higher wing loading aircraft can handle better in the wind compare to aircraft with bigger wing area. Most high wind comes with gust so lighter aircraft or with bigger surface area are sensitive to sudden change of wind. Higher wing loading aircraft although more difficult to fly but they are solid in the air and they have option to reduce high lift and drag devices during the approach and still can gain enough lift in case decided to turn around. The consistency of power with higher airspeed matters a lot on high gusty wind not to be distracted by the changes of wind, direction and speed specially on hard crosswind landing which requires the plane to fly even on the ground. Some mistakes when distracted by the big difference in speed relative to the ground and then try to slowdown on downwind by reducing power. Another is when didn't respond earlier prior to wind lag and slip... Flying in high wind requires guts as well as safety limitation for the kind of aircraft.

Unless to design an aircraft that fly the same characteristic, for me I preferred scale aircraft because they are designed to have higher lift in relation to lesser wing area which is less sensitive to wind gust, higher structural strength against harsh wind strike and Gs, can fly faster due to lesser drag but has an option to change wing camber to have higher lift for low speed maneuvers. Most of all they are beautiful and mostly has scale operational equipment onboard like their full scale counterpart.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:58 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved flying a Tower Trainer 60 in the wind. You could spend the whole flight and never leave the runway. I have my own runway. With wind it really helps to slow the approach for landings. I have to drive at least 50 miles each way to the club, so if I can stand up in the wind, I will fly.

When I flew at the San Diego Stadium, I would get there around 1:00pm. Most of the people would leave as the afternoon winds came up. It was a nice constant 15 or so. You could really float the plane around.

I was camping in the Imperial Valley, winds were topping 50 mph across the lake bed. I had to hold almost 1/2 throttle on my Goldberg Jr Tiger with a O.S. FP .35 just to keep it from rolling backwards. I goosed it and it lifted off the ground like a rocket. It went straight up, nose level. Full throttle I could go into the wind. Took about 5 minutes to get far enough up wind to try a turn. I started the turn, got about 5 degrees from straight into the wind, the plane was blown around hard. I went down wind at super sonic speeds. Took full ailerons, elevators and full throttle to turn into the wind. I managed to get it back on the ground in one piece. That was all most a 10 minute flight. I think the gimbals on the Tx were starting to get hot from how hard you had to move them to keep the plane in the air. I did not try another plane that day. I tempted the R/C/ airplane Gods enough that day.

I will fly in most of the average windy conditions. It does make you stick control better.

Buzz.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: luckyb

I fly in just about any wind. You have to or sit on the bench in South Florida. The warbirds tend to penetrate better because of weight and airfoil. One of the best times I had though was flying a Senior Kadet litterally backwards in a 30 mph wind. You just have to deal with it.........Doug
This afternoon, the wind sock of our field was not only completely horizontal but buzzing.
We had to lean forward to stay vertical in the pilot's stations.
I estimated around 35 mph.
Three members were flying their planes, which moved almost statically when going against the wind and zooming when flying downwind; however, the conversations were not about the weather.

The Beaufort scale is a good reference for estimating wing velocity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale
Old 06-04-2011, 03:26 PM
kavic5150

I flew my blade 400 in 25mph gusting to 40 and LOVED IT. Only hovered and tried a few nervous piros tho. I've got the stock lackluster gyro so no tail into the wind just yet. Of course calm days are preferred and I night fly alot just for that reason. Cant wait for the next seriously windy day tho, my skills and more importantly my confidence has advanced.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:50 PM
rctech2k7

Another more advantages in the wind, gust and crosswind are the aircraft who stand level on the ground. CG is at stable position laterally and longitudinal. Favorable dihedral angle is also a factor when an aircraft is rolling for takeoff, the resistance to external dynamic pressure with the traction of the nosegear as well as main gear are contributing counter resistance while transition is in progress...
Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 PM
rctech2k7

Here's the challenging day for my cessna...
http://youtu.be/nSFYIbTGneo

CG is favorable between 25% and 20% of MAC from LE which is slightly nose heavy than normal CG at 25% to 30% for the fair wing loading of almost 3-lb per sq ft of a 10-lb aircraft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.