Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Methanol or non-metanol gasoline

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Methanol or non-metanol gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Warbirdguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Methanol or non-metanol gasoline

ORIGINAL: Augie11

http://www.seffuels.com/index.aspx

If you're really worried about it, check the link above. 94 octane, comes in quart cans and can be shipped to you for about $40 a gallon. I've used some and it's easy starting and provides plenty of power. But here's the best part - it doesn't smell like gasoline! Well, it does but it's very, very faint. So faint my wife doesn't know it's in the house. She's a doll but you should hear her when I bring home one of my 2 diesel planes! I tried to convince her someone was running a Komatsu bulldozer next door. No luck! But one time I spilled some SEF of the workbench and she never noticed. I'm serious, the stuff is practically odorless. Just don't fly gassers a lot......or get a lucky lottery ticket!
Ive run coleman lattern fuel before. Its cheaper and can get it at wally world Its what they used to call "white gas" in the '60's and early '70's. Mercury Marine even recomended it to run in their motors when you could buy it at the pump.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be doing it all wrong ! I leave my gas can partially filled all winter in my storage shed and my lawn mowers and weed wacker partially filled and I don't drain the carbs[X(] And every spring darn if they don't just start right up[:@] I hate when that happens[:@] Really maybe it's just the people who sell us the additives to put in our gas that are making up all the nonsense listed here. Oh and my weedwacker (cheap Homelite) is over 20 years old and has never had a plug change or carb rebuild and the mower( expensive Wheelhorse) is also the same. I agree that gasahol as it was called in the 70's gives you lower mileage and does harden your fuel lines over time( just replaced those this year) but as for all the rest, it's just so much [:'(] In my opinion and experience only
Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

I must be doing it all wrong ! I leave my gas can partially filled all winter in my storage shed and my lawn mowers and weed wacker partially filled and I don't drain the carbs[X(] And every spring darn if they don't just start right up[:@] I hate when that happens[:@] Really maybe it's just the people who sell us the additives to put in our gas that are making up all the nonsense listed here. Oh and my weedwacker (cheap Homelite) is over 20 years old and has never had a plug change or carb rebuild and the mower( expensive Wheelhorse) is also the same. I agree that gasahol as it was called in the 70's gives you lower mileage and does harden your fuel lines over time( just replaced those this year) but as for all the rest, it's just so much [:'(] In my opinion and experience only

Well, when I used to fly general aviation we drained the tanks a bit every morning looking for water condensation in the fuel tanks. This was many years before this methanol issue... So the water problem in the fuel is not an exclusive methanol fuel problem.

Gerry
Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Warbirdguy

Hard to believe a 20 year old weed eater has never had a problem LOL

Ive been working in the trade, and getting paid since 1975. Before that, I was working with my dad since I was able to hold a wrench. My dad was Mercury Marines first Certified Master Mechanic. So Im not making any of this up and I have no invested intrest in any chemical company to make millions off of LOL Ive dealt with customers like you before. I dont believe you I guess your homelite has never had a rotted off fuel line either? LMAO

Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 AM
ml3456

WMG.. Right on.

There are so many comments that are opinions not fact based its great that you spelled out the facts.  Ethanol is here to stay for a while. This was started by Bush Senior and the EPA years ago.  It cost more and we pay for the subsidy. Grin and Bear it!!

Lot of old boats have problems. New boats don't..

Engine manufacturers small and large are building there motors for ethanol. It has it good and bad issues works fine.

The comment that ethanol seperates from gasoline and collects water if false. Anyone ever see the HEAT product that mixes water in you fuel tank in with the fuel  Guess what. Its ethanol!!

Avgas is a completely different animal than motor gas and most engines and built to take full advantage of it. Some engines run worse and most will have less power with it than gasoline.

Fresh gas is the best bet.   You may want to be sure to empty you fuel can out before filling it with fresh fuel so any contaminants in it get removed. 

Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 AM
raptureboy

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

Ive been working in the trade, and getting paid since 1975. Before that, I was working with my dad since I was able to hold a wrench. My dad was Mercury Marines first Certified Master Mechanic. So Im not making any of this up and I have no invested intrest in any chemical company to make millions off of LOL Ive dealt with customers like you before. I dont believe you I guess your homelite has never had a rotted off fuel line either? LMAO

What ever. I don't not believe, your a mechanic, although I doubt there as many "experts" on RCU as there claim to be. I also was a helicopter mechanic in the army and I know that issues like water in your fuel are more critical than say your car or weedwacker. They used to inject water into aircraft engines during WWII. So I will say it again, I just changed my fuel lines this year for the first time in 20 yrs and I have NEVER had ANY problem with gasahol in my small engines, or car. I do agree that alcohol in our gas is a joke and the only reason it's cheaper is because the gov. props it up with subsidies to satisfy the granola head greenpeacers. The farmers are thrilled to be getting $8 a bushel for the corn now and we all pay higher prices for beef, and decreased mileage.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Warbirdguy

What ever. I don't not believe, your a mechanic, although I doubt there as many ''experts'' on RCU as there claim to be. I also was a helicopter mechanic in the army and I know that issues like water in your fuel are more critical than say your car or weedwacker. They used to inject water into aircraft engines during WWII. So I will say it again, I just changed my fuel lines this year for the first time in 20 yrs and I have NEVER had ANY problem with gasahol in my small engines, or car. I do agree that alcohol in our gas is a joke and the only reason it's cheaper is because the gov. props it up with subsidies to satisfy the granola head greenpeacers. The farmers are thrilled to be getting $8 a bushel for the corn now and we all pay higher prices for beef, and decreased mileage.

LOL if you want references, I can provide

Heli mechanic...hmmm ..dont you guys run turbines? And that is jet fuel...kerosene? LOL Not EVEN in the same ball park.

As far as water injection in WWII aircraft. That was done directly into the cylinder. It was to boost compression. It was not mixed in the fuel. And it was only used for short bursts.

If alcohol was way cheaper, to offset the poor fuel milage, I could see that as a alternative. But every time our ..leaders...decide something is better, its mainly due to, somewhere down the line in THEIR life, there is a kickback, payoff, or investment in it for them.

Its always funny how we are told that a new technology that is going to make fuel better and cheaper, in the long run, ends up costing more and sucks.

I just purchased a gallon of methanol at the co-op here to make some glo fuel. It was $5.23 for a gallon. Basically, its moon shine LOL way easier to produce than gasoline. Yet its way more expensive. go figure.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: ml3456

WMG.. Right on.

There are so many comments that are opinions not fact based its great that you spelled out the facts. Ethanol is here to stay for a while. This was started by Bush Senior and the EPA years ago. It cost more and we pay for the subsidy. Grin and Bear it!!

Lot of old boats have problems. New boats don't..

Engine manufacturers small and large are building there motors for ethanol. It has it good and bad issues works fine.

The comment that ethanol seperates from gasoline and collects water if false. Anyone ever see the HEAT product that mixes water in you fuel tank in with the fuel Guess what. Its ethanol!!

Avgas is a completely different animal than motor gas and most engines and built to take full advantage of it. Some engines run worse and most will have less power with it than gasoline.

Fresh gas is the best bet. You may want to be sure to empty you fuel can out before filling it with fresh fuel so any contaminants in it get removed.

Before you make a statement about something you obviously know nothing about, do some research. Here Ill give you a hand go read:

http://www.fuel-testers.com/about_ethanol_fuel.html
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 AM
jessiej

[quote]ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

I just purchased a gallon of methanol at the co-op here to make some glo fuel. It was $5.23 for a gallon. Basically, its moon shine LOL way easier to produce than gasoline. Yet its way more expensive. go figure.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion here as to methanol and ethanol. Methanol is NOT moonshine! If you drink methanol you will likely go blind before you die.
Methanol also as far as I know not commercially added to gasoline. Ethanol, OTOH can be consumed by humans so long as it is not "denatured" by the addition of a small amount of methanol. Ethanol is the chemical added to our gasoline to reduce its efficencie, create excuses for subsudies, etc.

jess
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 AM
raptureboy

As I said I don't doubt you are a mech, and water in the fuel is water in the fuel jet or gas. We always tested our fuel and our oils for contamination std procedure for aircraft. and I agree alcohol is just a waste of time and money, our money that we have taken by the gov. to waste. Gasahol came and went in the 70's as soon as people got used to paying more for their gas. There are always exceptions to the rule in everything and I guess I am the exception Anyway one thing is for sure, it's not going away anytime soon, not as long as there is money to be made. Guess that is one way to make the economy better manufacturers will just have to make better fuel lines etc. to fix what the gov messed up. Peace.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:12 AM
raptureboy

Before you make a statement about something you obviously know nothing about, do some research. Here Ill give you a hand go read:

[/quote]

Now I have to buy an ethanol test kit for $30? Just what I mean about somebody cashing in on all this stuff.[:@][:@]
Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Warbirdguy

[quote]ORIGINAL: jessiej

There seems to be a great deal of confusion here as to methanol and ethanol. Methanol is NOT moonshine! If you drink methanol you will likely go blind before you die.
Methanol also as far as I know not commercially added to gasoline. Ethanol, OTOH can be consumed by humans so long as it is not ''denatured'' by the addition of a small amount of methanol. Ethanol is the chemical added to our gasoline to reduce its efficencie, create excuses for subsudies, etc.

jess
LOL have you ever drank moonshine? LOL if its done rite...you just might loose your site LOL
Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Warbirdguy

Now I have to buy an ethanol test kit for $30? Just what I mean about somebody cashing in on all this stuff.[:@][:@]
[/quote]

LOL I tellin ya man. Ive invested in the wrong stuff for many years. Need to talk to my broker about the company that makes test kits.....

How much you bet, after the dust settles, the company that makes the test kits is probably a sister company to the one that makes the alcohol that is being used in gas LMAO
Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

The reasons why our government is forcing ethenol on us is pretty unclear. Fuel mileage drops, power is down, gas prices are up and engines are destroyed. And the cost of making ethenol far outweighs any alleged savings. Not to mention what it has done to the price of corn. I guess the farmers who grow corn and sell it to oil companies are happy.

im sure they are helping their buddies out, and getting a kickback of some kind.. them bassturds
Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
jessiej

The experiences of those posting in this thread are divided among those who have experienced adverse effects from gasoline with ethanol added and those who have not suffered those dificulties. Has anyone experienced any positive result such as increased fuel economy, greater power or improved engine longivity?

jess
Old 07-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: jessiej

The experiences of those posting in this thread are divided among those who have experienced adverse effects from gasoline with ethanol added and those who have not suffered those dificulties. Has anyone experienced any positive result such as increased fuel economy, greater power or improved engine longivity?

jess
No

No

and

NO
Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

go to "PURE GAS.Com" they have a state by state location where you can buy ethanol free gas.its at various gas stations.if its at a place near an easy drive its worth the trip especially if you hate ethanol for your gassers.I know zenoah has carb kits to alleivate and replace parts that the ethanol ruins.

personally I think ethanol is a joke!standard oil for instance is sitting with natural gas that if drilled would last several hundred years!~
but thats another time and place.but you can buy ethan o free gas..
Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 AM
gade600sdi

Its a huge mistake for our Country to mandate Ethanol in gas. It costs fuel to grow corn , transport ethanol and make it. All increases in demand for foreign fuel. Then, it drives down MPG, another increase in fuel cost. It ruins engines and separates if left standing. Lastly, it drives up the prices of food for us all. All we are doing is shifting higher fuel costs for higher food prices and causing everyone a lot of grief. Come on American Lawmakers make this right get rid of the Ethanol and focus on clean energy methods that actually benefit us and reduce our dependency!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 AM
jaka

Hi!
Have you thought of that perhaps this helps the environement...
Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Not really. It doubtless makes more sense in nations that grow surplus amounts of crops such as sugarcane which are much more effeciently converted to ethanol than corn.

jess
Old 07-13-2011, 04:09 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Al Gore used to say it did, back when he was running for president and needed farmers' votes. But this year he admitted that it was actually bad for the environment (partly because of all the trees that get cut down to clear fields to grow the corn). It doesn't reduce oil imports either: It takes as much fossil fuel energy to make a gallon of ethanol as you get from that gallon of ethanol. We'd be better off if they just gave the farmers the cash and didn't make them go through the whole charade of making the stuff and making us use it.