Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

gas fueling system

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

gas fueling system

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
indgroove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas fueling system

Hello, I am finishing up my 1st gas plane. Where can I find a fuel tank to fill the plane with gasoline?
I have tried searching the net and don't come up with much. Thanks for the help
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: gas fueling system

A gas can can be made from a number of things. I buy my alcohol and acetone in gallon cans with the big cap then when empty I convert them to a gas can for my models. You can buy the gas cap conversion kit from tower or most good hobby shops, it's just a couple of bucks. For the pump I just use the cheap magnum hand crank glow fuel pump. Because I don't run more then two gas engines at any one time the one gallon can is fine for me. John Buckner is the gas can man on RCU {among other things} and I'm sure he will post a photo or two for you if you ask him real nice.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:37 PM
indgroove

Thanks for the info. I have the gas can, will check out Tower for the gas cap conversion kit and pump. Thanks
Ind
Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: indgroove

Hello, I am finishing up my 1st gas plane. Where can I find a fuel tank to fill the plane with gasoline?
I have tried searching the net and don't come up with much. Thanks for the help
I splurged and bought one of these this year,, http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=763645
no more hand cranking 32 oz tanks

I adapted it to a 2.5 gallon gas can fron home depot,, when ever I get low I mix up another gallon and added it to the larger can
Working great this season so far,, no more gas all over my hands either. I'm running mine on a 3s 1300mah Lipo
Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Gray Beard

As long as the caps are the bigger ones, about 1 1/4 inch, there is no problem. I found the smaller caps on cans to be a bit crowded when you are installing the brass tubes. I keep an extra can on hand with mixed gas so when I get low I just swap the caps. I never seem to have more then two gassers flying at any one time so the one gallon is fine with me. I do like the electric pump but the biggest tank I use is 22 ounce and usually smaller so the cheap hand crank is OK for me. I hate cranking as much as scale so I use electric on my glow cans. I go through a lot more glow fuel then gas at the moment. That may change in the near future though.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Grey, I agree 1 gallon is enough for a day at the field,, but so many times I'd be loading up the truck and have 1/3 gallon in the one gallon can,, what then? mix a 2/3 gallon batch?? I'd still need to carry the second 1 gallon can for when the 1/3 ran out,, the solution was to have a slightly bigger 2.5 gallon can that I can add a full 1 gallon mix to before I leave the garage.

indgroove
What ever you do do,, remember to run a filter somewhere in you system,, gas has a lot of crap in it

good luck
Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Gray Beard

I switch the cap and pump over to my full can. I got rid of my one gas plane this year with the G-62 and I'm working on another plane with a Brison 40 right now. Before I got rid of my Extra I was also flying the giant Kaos with a RCS 1.40. One gallon would allow me a full day of flying plus a bit. Pretty much any type of gas container can be converted for our use but a one gas engine pilot doesn't require a lot of pre-mix. A cheap two gallon plastic container is fine and can be converted. When I was flying with a FOX 100 engine I used a two gallon container, that engine has never met a gas can it didn't fall in love with.
I made up a gas can for a friend with his new DLE 30. It gets flown maybe twice a day once a month, one gallon last him forever. Another friend has a 2.5 gallon plastic like yours, it sometimes runs out before the day is through. All things are relitive. When I was involved with IMAA guys would come out to a show with a 5 gallon can and just keep filling there small can from that. I have the one cn for use and one can that is mixed. I get several days out of a gallon but I also fly more glow planes then gas.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:49 AM
jetmech05

I use a Jersey fueler...Jersey fueler is the name of the company