Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Orange futaba compatible receiver

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Orange futaba compatible receiver

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 AM
tom czenthe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Orange futaba compatible receiver

Orange futaba compatible 2.4 receiver , 15cc gasoline engine in a spacewalker.......can I trust this receiver and engine combination.... It works ok on the ground,,,,,,range check etc ok.
Anyone using this receiver with electronic ignition ????????
Old 07-19-2011, 02:32 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Orange futaba compatible receiver

Shoot, go for it! What could possibly go wrong?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

[X(][:@][] i dont think trying this will be worth the 90 dollars for a new reciever for this plane being cheap at this point never works what goes up must come down how hard is up to u you luck if do
Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I'm flying the Futaba Orange receivers in a .90 size Tiger moth, a .60 size Sun Fly, a .60 size 4 star and many large electrics. I have have had zero problems with probably 100 flights. Personally, I would'nt hesitate using it in your aircraft. I have a 26cc size Nieuport ARF that will fly with one when I get to finish it.

steve
Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought one of those to give it a try,, I've been using it as a test Rx in the shop for the last few months while I'm building and testing servos etc. I haven't had the plane worth trusting it in yet. I went to use it again the other day for some testing and now it doesn't work,, can't get it to bind to either TX either. It's never been in the air and now it's seemingly dead

I'd pony up the $70-$100 for a real Futaba Rx if I had anything more than a park flyer or foamie relying on it,,, I'd hate to hurt someone to save $50..
Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I bought one of those to give it a try,, I've been using it as a test Rx in the shop for the last few months while I'm building and testing servos etc. I haven't had the plane worth trusting it in yet. I went to use it again the other day for some testing and now it doesn't work,, can't get it to bind to either TX either. It's never been in the air and now it's seemingly dead

I'd pony up the $70-$100 for a real Futaba Rx if I had anything more than a park flyer or foamie relying on it,,, I'd hate to hurt someone to save $50..
+1 to the last bit. I don't care if you wreck your plane - I care that you don't have your plane hit me because you are too cheap to get a reliable RX. Consider a 5lb .40-size aircraft at 45mph. Would you like to be struck by a 5lb hammer at full swing? Think not.

Bliksem

Old 07-20-2011, 05:15 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

I would take it out when you can fly by yourself. Fly it in a figure eight pattern at WOT so that it is pointed directly at you as long as possible in the pattern.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

I would take it out when you can fly by yourself. Fly it in a figure eight pattern at WOT so that it is pointed directly at you as long as possible in the pattern.
Why not just giive the guy an honest answer instead of all the sarcasim[] To the OP: If you look around some of the other threads you wil see that others have had mixed results with the cheap knock off 2.4 receivers and I would not trust my $1000 plane to some cheap imitation. IMO they are meant only for the foamy market where vibration is a non issue. Spend some $ and save your plane, save some $ and lose your plane
Old 07-22-2011, 07:51 AM
jetmech05

Ah yes reminds me of the ol cheap, fast, good thing where if it is done good and fast it aint cheap.....if its done cheap and fast it aint good....hardly ever see good and cheap, but if you do and aint fast....
I'll let some one else risk their airplanes......I've heard enough about orange's to aviod them....
Old 07-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Out of the 8 answers you got so far, only one has actually flown a FASST Orange receiver, and he would have no reservations about putting it in a plane like yours.

Add me to the list of satisfied FASST Orange customers. I now have 6 of them flying in various airplanes, and they have all been working flawlessly. There are about a dozen more FASST Orange receivers being flown in my local club, and all of them have been working flawlessly too. Once the plane is in the air, it's impossible to tell the difference between the FASST Orange and the Futaba FASST receivers.

Assuming you have test flown the receiver in another plane just to check it out, I would have no problems at all putting a FASST Orange receiver in a plane like yours.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM
tom czenthe

Thank you for all the expert responses.

the result...... Plane tied down, engine running in my backyard. I hopped in my car with transmitter in my posession and drove 2.8 miles away and called home on my cell phone to see the results......

ALL CHANNELS ARE WOKING FLAWLESS

Dove back home, still functioning without a problem but almost out of gas.

CONCLUSION-Nedd to change to a larger tank !!!!

THANK YOU ALL
Old 07-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Dave McDonald

ORIGINAL: tom czenthe

the result...... Plane tied down, engine running in my backyard. I hopped in my car with transmitter in my posession and drove 2.8 miles away and called home on my cell phone to see the results......

Wow! You DO need a bigger tank!

Any car that nearly runs out of gas after only traveling 2.8 miles away and 2.8 miles back home definitely needs a bigger tank.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 PM
tom czenthe

LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Flyin Beagle
My Feedback: (1)

I am currently using two of them, and have never had a problem. I have one in my striker combat plane that has taken a beating. It has worked flawlessly since last winter. We have 3 rounds of combat once a week and the goal is to knock the other plane out of the air. This reciever has been in dozens of crashes and has always worked flawlessly.

At the same time I have to agree with some of the advice above. I would not use this reciever in my giant scale gassers. There is just way to much money involved to risk it on something that I am not completly sure of.

The other orange reciever is in my old 40 sized trainer because I am about to put floats on it. I guess what I am saying is that I use the oreage recievers in my planes that have a high risk of damage. I look at them as being somewhat disposable at $30 compared to an $80 futaba.

Do I think it will work fine in your application, Yes I do. But you will always have that bit of uncertainty in your mind while using it.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Steve Percifield

You know, guys, I too had reservations about using the Orange receivers. But, I have been flying RC for over 55 years. I have gone through 4 frequency changes, and several manufacture revolutions. I was hesitant to start using Japanese radios, and the first few of those didn't work. They worked it out. I was here when receivers had to be narrow banded and the industry said it couldn't be done. Well, a Korean company appeared, said yes it could, and it was, and economically. Hitec was considered junk when it first started selling servos.

The point is, a lot of folks bad mouth products because of where they are made. But truth is all of our RC equipment comes from Asian countries, no matter what the brand. Toms 2.8 mile range check surely will tell you something. I also couldn't walk mine out of range, but my property is only 6 acres wide. I did test them in foamies, and then progressily moved to larger and larger aircraft.

I still have and fly 72meg stuff. I have no problem with it and see no reason not to use it. I have and fly 6 different brands of 2.4 gig stuff, including 3 Chinese brands. They all work.

This hobby allows everyone to do his own thing, but I have found, if you don't keep an open mind, you might just miss something good.

steve percifield
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Weasel Keeper
My Feedback: (16)

Red Scholefield writes about these in The Battery Clinic of MA, July 2011. I have a brand new 617 that randomly reversed the throttle channel. It's always a gamble.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Gotta give credit where credit is due,,,,

So last week I pick up a RXR $40 EP ugly stick off craig's list and I'm fresh out of RXs to put in it,, so I pickup the Orange RX and just for giggles I give it another try and it binds right up???? Just weird or what,, I flew the plane a few times with it and it seems to be working fine now,, I stil won't trust it in anything but a park flyer just yet.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You did not say whether this is the FAAST or Spectum. We have a lot of the Orange receivers in our club and no problems, all Spectum but one. If it is one with a single antenna though, it can get blocked out with a large object between it and the antenna (like a big motor) so I'd be sure I had the satellite on it as well to be sure you do not get the signal blocked. So far all experience here has been positive with the Orange receivers. When you do your range tests, be sure to check at all attitudes of antenna orientation (good practice no matter what brand receiver you use).
Sorry, just realized you did state that it was for the Futaba so I only know of one Orange receiver being used and it has no problems and has been flown many times in a big glow powered plane.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:53 AM
codedlanguage

I curently use a Orange Futaba compatible RX on a Seagull Spacewalker powered by a DLE 30. No problems since the plane first flight in April this year. I fly it every weekend. I use the same RX in various .46 - .60 nitro planes and nitro boats (Thunder Tiger Bandit, Outlaw and Desperado) and in one .50 glow powered helicopter. I like the fact that the Orange Futaba compatible RX will take a max of 9.8 volts with no problems, making it easy to use high voltage servos.

If I will have the financial means, I will allways choose Futaba originals, but my experience with Orange receivers (all versions - with plastic case, without plastic case and, so called. "S-spec") is "so far so good".

Have a great day !

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94163.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1658878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18000.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1658879  
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

But what about the warning that you must not set your failsafes or the servos will glitch. What the heack is that all about????
Old 10-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Dave McDonald

You need to disable the failsafe settings in the transmitter. The FASST Orange receiver uses its own failsafe settings, which you can set with the link button. If the receiver sees failsafe settings coming from the transmitter too, it causes that channel to get conflicting failsafe information, which causes the servo to "glitch" about once every second or two.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

But you can definitely set failsafe positions for each channel in the reciever, right? Is this all explained in the instructions???

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Steve Percifield

Yes, very easy to do. down load the instructions from Hk website
Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 PM
muscleflex

were you using a satellite with that receiver?

ORIGINAL: tom czenthe

THANK YOU ALL
Old 10-28-2011, 01:59 AM
telejojo

Are these the one's Hobbyking sells?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.