Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dope retarder

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:30 PM
DennisS
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dope retarder

I need to use dope retarder to prevent blushing...spraying Randolph Butyrate in Florida. I do not have retarder close by, and would prefer not to pay four times the price to get it here. Research on the web tells me that Xylol or Xylene works as a suitable substitute.

Any thoughts on this.

Thanks. Dennis
Old 07-21-2011, 03:55 AM
lleach1
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Dope retarder

I used to purchase butyrate dope and dope retarder from Aviation Supply Corp. in Tampa, FL. I believe it was available in pints, quarts, gallons & five gallon containers. LEL
Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problems with blushing here in the Houston area where the humidity is much like Florida. Finding a dry day to spray dope is almost a hopeless endeavor. When I do get blushing (which is often), I wait for the dope to dry (next day even) and then spray a light coat of thinner over the finished product. The thinner seems to release the moisture captured by the dope and the resulting finish shines like it had never had any problems.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:27 AM
DennisS
My Feedback: (40)

Sounds good. I think I'll spray a little dope with Xyzlene on a panel of glass to see if it prevents blushing (at least that's what some have said). If it blushes, I'll spray it with the thinner next day. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need to use dope retarder to prevent blushing...spraying Randolph Butyrate in Florida. I do not have retarder close by, and would prefer not to pay four times the price to get it here. Research on the web tells me that Xylol or Xylene works as a suitable substitute.

Any thoughts on this.

Thanks. Dennis
Dennis,

You should be able to get that stuff at any Automotive Supply House that sells materials and paint to Body Shops.

That's where I purchased mine for over 35 years.