Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Evolution .46NX Glow Engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Evolution .46NX Glow Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution .46NX Glow Engine

hi
anyone know about this engine good or bad ? Evolution .46NX Glow Engine thanks rye
Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Evolution .46NX Glow Engine

It's a decent engine for a trainer or first plane. It's an economy engine that's not going to last forever or give you the most power that a .46 size engine can give. That what you were asking?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 AM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

good littel motor, i have 2 # and there about 5 yrs old, maybe with 200 flights on each, use 10% fuel or at best 15% and they are good
Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 AM
jetmech05

I've got to disagree...I find the Evo 46 just above the extra hole in the head on the useful scale.....
I think the evo is hard to tune, once tuned won't hold a tune....it's not just me I 've seen many try and tune then fly a small Evo with many dead sticks...I wouldn't buy one
Old 07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
zac137

I have to agree with jetmech05...I have had the same experience with the small Evo engines
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rye

hi
anyone know about this engine good or bad ? Evolution .46NX Glow Engine thanks rye
The NX series are decent engines. It is not the same as the .45/46 trainer engine. Some people have good experiences and some bad. Most problems have been around tuning because of the limiters, exhaust baffle, and other variables. I have OS, GMS, TT, Evolution, etc. and if you know anything about glow engines you should be fine with the Evo engines. I have one that has been running for well over two years now without an issue. It starts easily and runs like a champ.

We have several of them at one of our flying fields and they have all done great. If you don't have a lot of experience with glow engines, it may not be the easiest to get tuned until you get used to it or maybe get someone that has previously worked with Evo to assist in tuning.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Oberst
Banned

I bought the Evolution NT and the .46NX and now I don't. The pistons work better as a key chain ornament which I later did. They are a pain to adjust, the gaskets like to leak and they don't like closed cowls very well.

Don't get suckered by the cheap price and get a O.S. because they are dependable and put out more power. They also work great if you have a enclosed cowl and can take the heat and humidity better. If you are tight on money get a Super Tigre or a Thunder Tigre. The only thing I would recommend with a Super Tigre is replace the stock carb for a Perry and replace the muffler with a Mac because the Super Tigre is a hit or miss with the stock carb. Mine I had a bad carb and wound up crashing the plane because of it.

Pete
Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Have the Evo 46......it's such a good little engine with the OS type F plug I went and took the plunge on the EVO 40GX gasser for my big Mustang. Buddy has the 40GX on a TF giant P-40 and it is sweeeeeet. Runs perfect starts first flip every time.

Now the little 46 is on a Neptune sea plane copy and it works great....only problem with that plane was the tank split once so the engine didn't run...then again the fuel was gone so go figure.

10X6 prop Byrons 15% premium fuel. Flies it at 6000 feet no problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36410.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1640351