Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

foam cutter

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foam cutter

hi
i have a 3 foot foam cutter with a two leads red and black what would be the right power source for it ,thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: foam cutter

Not an easy question to answere. There are many variables, and in some cases there are
personal preferences. You are going to need to experiment a little. Start with something as
simple as a 12 car battery. Depending on how that performs, you may want to consider
something like a model train transformer that goes from 6 volts to 18 volts. It's nice to have
a variable control, since the foam can vary, the length of your core can vary, and the speed
at which you cut can vary. If the wire is not hot enough, the wire will bow in the middle, which
will produce a distorted airfoil. If the wire is too hot, the wire will radiate heat, and melt the
foam around the wire, instead of cutting the foam. You didn't say what material the wire is made
from. Nicrome wire has been popular for years, but stainless steel is tougher.
When learning new skills it's helpfull to have someone who is experienced to coach. Try to find
someone in your area who has cut foam before, and be sure to get a lot of extra foam, because
you are going to make a lot of scrap. Good luck, Greg
Old 09-21-2011, 03:24 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a 24VDC transformer that plugs into 110VAC. Between the transformer and the wall outlet, I have a light dimmer switch so I can control the input current.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18922.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1665013  
Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 AM
mikegordon10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg is right when he says get a lot of foam. The learning curve is not all that hard to master but if anything can go wrong when your cutting it will. AND by the time you see what's wrong or what you have forgot about it's too late. I went through a couple full sheets of blue foam (4' X 8') before I started to do some cuts that I thought were perfect. In the interim there were some cores that were "useable" but far from perfect. Good luck and hang in there, thing do get better with practice.