Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

kit or scratch forums?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

kit or scratch forums?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:26 AM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kit or scratch forums?

Whatforum do I useto start a "Build From Plans" thread in? Kit building or scratch building forums? I hope to be starting a RCM 1/4 Fly Baby pl-957 build in the near future. I don't know how scale i'll go.
Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: kit or scratch forums?

In spite of the arguments of plans building versus designing and then building your own airplane. Do the build thread in Scratch Building, unless it's a Scale airplane. Then put the thread in Scale. If you're building from an actual kit, then put it in kit building. If it's a kit or plan from the 1970's or earlier, you can do it in the Vintage forum. Lots of choices, and really no wrong ones.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 AM
drube

Thanks Bax!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kit forum, there isn't much going on it the scratch forum. All plans building is, is just cutting your own kit then building without much in the way of instructions. If you do it in the kit forum you will have people following the thread. Maybe even get a few into building from plans. There is a lot of harping about the lack of kits out there today. I have been building my own planes from plans for years and keep trying to get others involved in doing it.
If you want anyone to see it then post it in kit building.
It's also OK to redraw the plans to any of your needs.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:16 AM
drube

Thanks GB, It should be interesting being my first build from plans..lol Just have to finish up my H9 Hellcat repair/rebuild, i'll be using Deft and paint thanks to your great threads! I still have a GP Super Skybolt kit to finish but that got put on the back burner..lol
I'm really looking forward to building the Fly Baby from plans and now have a bandsaw so i'm itching to get started..lol Oh the addiction! lol

Old 09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of us rarely look at the Scratch forum so if you put it in the Kit forum you may well pervert some of us over to the dark side. [:-]
Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Gray Beard

They are both good forums but more people will see the build in Kits. Drube, I don't skip from kit to kit myself, that start and stop stuff used to drive my dad nuts when I was a kid so I had it drubbed into me to finish what I start before I move on. I do however start another plane while I'm waiting on parts or needed items so I can build more then one plane at a time. I had my Hots framed up while I was waiting on parts for a CG Extra.
Nothing odd about people putting one away though while they move onto something else. I know people with a dozen started builds sitting around in there shop. These days it makes me crazy, a bit of understanding for my father now that I'm older.
Last time I built my other Sukhoi I was doing a lot of building for others. I started and stopped that build so many times I started leaving myself notes about what I was doing when I put it aside.
Your not the only one that moves onto different builds before you get them finished.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes,

Do the Thread in Kit Building. As said, there's a bit more traffic there.

Also, seeing you're cutting your own parts, you could "layer up" and cut parts for two models.

Takes about the same amount of time.

Gray, ever cut two models at the same time?

Charles
Old 09-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Gray Beard

Depends on the model on how I do it but yes I have. My big trick, carpet layers tape. Just be careful how much you use. First time I used it I had very little faith in how well it would work. A little bit goes a very long way. I discovered that the hard way. You can stack your wood using the tape and using just a template on the top sheet the wood will not move when your cutting . You have to watch where you place the tape too. If by chance you have tape over ribs and cut through the tape you stand a good chance of breaking the ribs when you try to get them apart. Just do the outside of the wood so it doesn't slip.
I use the tape a lot doing wood working projects. I just finished making a couple of really cool banks today and a lot of the parts were cut two at a time plus sanded while they were stuck together. The wood was one inch thick American walnut and there are a lot of parts. Tape, good stuff, getting it to release, hard work!!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 PM
drube

Hmmm, two at one time? I better not that sounds like trouble..lol GB when you say tape on the outsidei'm kinda confused..If I stack a bunch of the same ribs to cut all at once where do I put the 2 sided carpet tape? Sorry, i'm easily confused..lol
Old 09-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Gray Beard

I cut the tape into strips about 1/4 or 1/8 and place it on the outside edge of the stacked wood. If you are concerned about the parts falling out as you cut then you can use a bit, a light mist of spray glue to help hold the sheets together. Any spray glue. Last week I started using spray glue used for gold leaf work found at Michale's. I have also made up 1/8 inch hardwood templates with screws running through them at the front and back. Stacked in 10 sheets of wood after holes were drilled through the wood, then just sanded to shape. Others I know use aluminum or sheet metal for the templates. This is good for constant cord wings where you have tons of ribs all the same size.
Don't be afraid to try different things, it only cost a bit of time and wood to try something. Just because I do something one way doesn't mean it's the best or only way to do something. I try different things with each and every build.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:11 PM
drube

I was wondering how you guys were able to keep the stack from coming apart, Thanks for that info! I'll try some spray glue when it comes time.