Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RotoFlow clunkless fuel tank

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

ORIGINAL: landeck

The problem I see with it is that there is no way to add a second interal line for fueling/emptying the tank on cowled engines. Also it is pricey and I question reliabiltiy.

Bruce
    If you read about the product in full, you will find that a second line is easily added. Pricey maybe, but do you know anybody that has taken their cash to heaven ? Reliability is total, from what I have been told.
    Yes, a third line can be added externally but a second line with klunk can not be added internally.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I and serveral friends have been using Roto-flow tank for 3 years now ( We got some of the orginal ones, we know JL Products).

Combined gas and glow flights, over 150. No issues. They are a little heavier, so if weight is a big problem,
    stick with water bottles. For warbirds they are great. They also will take a beating. I had a plane on in
    at full speed. About the only thing that survied was the tank.

When possible I use them, no more stiff clunk lines!

Chris923
    Chris923
    (Capt. Cluck) Screamin' Chicken Squadron
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood # 2
    The not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood #4
    The Flying Electrons
    Meno. Falls, Wisconsin

Futaba
    True Turn
    Kirby Custom Graphics
    Bad Brad Graphics
    Robarts,Down and Locked
    Top Flite,Ziroli,Byron
    DLE, Zenoah,OS
    Cool Power

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: landeck

JohnBuckner, you have shown that approach a number of times. I tried it on a plane many years ago and just did not like how it looked.

Ah Yes Bruce its the old 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' thing. But for me functionality (a beautiful thing) trumps beauty every time

John
    Not to mention you can put the split line any place you like so it is out of site. Most my planes have had a Du-Bro and three line with a dot. No problems with them either. Tank set up is just a personal thing, I use what I think will work best in each plane.
    I may not be able to take it with me but I can spend it on something I need and want. I really haven't had a lot of fuel tank problems over the years. If you have deep pockets and want to try something different then by all means give it a shot. I would rather have a can of Klass Kote paint then spend it on a new fuel tank. I'm in need of paint!!
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

This reminded me of a system I saw in a Tips and Tricks book.

You take the clunk and solder it on to a length a brass tubing that is 1/4 inch from the back of the fuel tank and 1/2'' to the tube sticking out of the bung. You use fuel tubing to connect the clunk ''wand'' to the bung tube. Worked great. I had forgotten about it.
    WHOA WHOA! WHAT A GREAT IDEA, (post 20) THANKS FOR SHARING,WARLORD, I CAN SAVE ON ALL THAT EXPENSINE GAS TUBING. Just can't get enough education.
    RED RIGHT RETURN!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After seeing this I am probably going to purchase one. I have a P-47 that is by far the worst plane for me to change the gas lines in every year. I have to pretty much remove the servo tray, the engine, and some other stuff just to get to the tank. This will pretty much solve the issues and all the time it takes for me to just change the lines.
    \"This is a model airplane...But like Burger King, FLY IT YOUR WAY!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airega1

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

This reminded me of a system I saw in a Tips and Tricks book.

You take the clunk and solder it on to a length a brass tubing that is 1/4 inch from the back of the fuel tank and 1/2'' to the tube sticking out of the bung. You use fuel tubing to connect the clunk ''wand'' to the bung tube. Worked great. I had forgotten about it.
    WHOA WHOA! WHAT A GREAT IDEA, (post 20) THANKS FOR SHARING,WARLORD, I CAN SAVE ON ALL THAT EXPENSINE GAS TUBING. Just can't get enough education.

There is a price to pay for that old trick and it is worse if you need to use tygon fuel line with a gasser. It is directly related to the size of the fuel tank, the amount of flex gap you use and the type of fuel tubing you need to use. Its so easy doing this that the clunk can no longer fall to the top of the tank when inverted. Now on an old timer that may not be a big issue but an aerobat it certainly is.

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi!
    Try a Tettra tank!
    Jan Karlsson - Supplier MVVS Products

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think some of you guys are way overthinking this. Looked at the first few posts here and they made a lot of sense to me. Dubro tank or Fiji/Soda bottle. This roto thingy tank is too heavy, too complicated, too expensive and unnecessary. Keep it simple, this complicated tank, although an engineering maserpiece, is a waste of money. Third line not needed, use a dot. Simple. Cheap. Effective. Works all the time. Leave gas in your tank to keep the Tygon soft. Put a plug in your vent line for fumes or spillage prevention. Simple safe, effective. I laugh at the post above, about the guy that crashes a plane and the roto tank is all that survives. At that point does it really matter, really? So if I crash my $3000 Sukhoi and I get a crack in my $8 Dubro tank I should be upset and sorry that I didnt buy a roto tank?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have tried the roroflow tanks and they work very well.  I also know how to make a normal tank work well.  IMO the rotoflow is a great tank for a newer modeler that does not know about using fuel line barbs and a good retainer system for the fuel lines. ( i use twisted wire ) to keep the lines on.   I sue them on gas engins and one line is only a vent while i tee off the pickup line for a fuel fill.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still use barbs in some tanks if it's going in one of my big high dollar planes just to be on the safe side. Still, to date I have never had a fuel line fall off without them but the barbs make me feel better. Because my glow engines are YS I have gotten in the habit of taking a short, 1/8 or so piece of fuel line and sliding it over the top of the lines going to any of the nipples on the engine and inside and outside the tank lines. That really holds the lines very well and is very easy to do. Best of all, it doesn't cost anything.
    We are just talking about fuel tanks and you don't need to be an engineer to assemble one. I have a lot of different tanks under the bench and just buy replacement bungs for when I need one. I do use more Du-Bros but I also use the Hays and Tettra tanks too. I think the most I have paid for one was about 12 bucks? 5 or 6 dollars is about the usual price for a tank. If I loose one in a crash I don't worry about it a lot! I haven't seen anyone mention adding a filter pick up inside the tanks. You can add a filter between the clunk and line or buy one of the new porous type of clunks to eliminate a filter for the engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Put your filter in line after the clunk and the split off to the tee. Hangar 9 makes the best one I have seen the Pro Filter, it has very fine screen mesh and you can take it apart and clean it in seconds and it not expensive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are a lot of good filters on the market, I like the Crap Traps.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chris923

I and serveral friends have been using Roto-flow tank for 3 years now ( We got some of the orginal ones, we know JL Products).

Combined gas and glow flights, over 150. No issues. They are a little heavier, so if weight is a big problem,
    stick with water bottles. For warbirds they are great. They also will take a beating. I had a plane on in
    at full speed. About the only thing that survied was the tank.

When possible I use them, no more stiff clunk lines!

Chris923
    Glad to see some positive feed back on thisROTOFLOWtanks and everyone is entitled to thier own style of tank they see fit or have expreriance with. Been using your normal clunk tanks for years with very little troubles, but seeing theROTOFLOWon a fellow club member 50cc Extra I decided to switch to the newROTOFLOWtanks just so I don't to have to change tubing every season and been using them for about two years. Now looking to change fuel tubeing like Viton, but no one around here has used any yet.
    Here are what this tanks are in:
    1. The first one went into a GeeBee Senior Sportster with a two cylinder GF55ii engine.
    2. 50cc MXS-R combo package from SDS with a two cylinder MLD 70cc engine.
    3. 50cc 540 Edge from Top Dawg Aviation with a TMM 53 engine.
    4. 100cc Hanger 9 Sukoi with a two cylinder 100Ccc 3W engine.
    5. Rascal 110 with a Syssa 30cc engine (not flown yet).
    6. 30cc Pilot RC Yak with a 38cc Mintor engine. (not flown yet).
    Have to say that I personally have not had any problems with theROTOFLOWtanks, and have read some problems may exist and will keep a close watch on them.
    Here's what I do know and have seen,this tanks don't like hard landing at all !!![/b]the brass tubing that the 45 degree clunk is supported on will bend near the rear of the rotating part of the clunk. This tubing is in need of an up-date, but I think they are cover by warranty.
    This tanks are no heavier then any standard tank on the market and I use a two line system on all this tanks. The center pick-up tube goes to the carburetor and with a T-Fitting on that line you can both (gas engines only)fill and empty the tank. The upper nipple only is use to vent the tank and I coil the tubing before venting out to the bottom cowl area to help will dipping.
    I think, but only guessing, that the third nipple below the upper vent, may be use for a pressurized tank system like that of a YS 140 so called fuel injected pump system. For gas engines this nipple is not needed, two line sustem works just find.
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi!
    But how about Uni-flow??
    Jan Karlsson - Supplier MVVS Products

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been flying mostly gas airplanes for the last 15 years and have used only clear soda pop bottles as fuel tanks for the last I guess 8 years or so, anyway I can build a 32 oz. tank for a weight of about 2.5 ozs. and spend as little as 6 bucks to make myself. I don't use a filter on the end of my gas lines, just a barbed clunk, I filter all my fuel going in the tank and because I can see inside my tanks; this allows me to periodically monitor things.

Bob
    Fly It Like You Stole It!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have had several of these tanks. 
    advantage is connect fuel lines to outside, install, and you are ready to go.
    never had had problems with tanks getting air in them or problems with engine performance.
    have used them for nitro, gas engines.
    i have even used two of these tanks in a 30% scale cap for the smoke oil.

disadvantage is:
    cannot remove fuel from tanks unless you remove thru line that goes to carb
    or
    if you place your airplane to be standing on its spinner, and then lean top of plane back.
    LOL
    that's how i do it, and i draw fuel out thru vent line.

2nd disadvatage is cost.
    AMA # 982277
    3DHS Extra 330 SC 119" DA 170
    Bill Hempel Yak 40% DA 170
    Extreme Flight Extra 300 91" DA 60 MTW RE2
    Great Planes Matt Chapman Eagle Cap DA 120
    Extreme FLight Extra 300 78" DA35 (Soon)
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50
    GP Revolver 70 Saito FA1.25

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123