Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

RotoFlow clunkless fuel tank

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RotoFlow clunkless fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:22 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RotoFlow clunkless fuel tank

this will be great if it really works. http://www.jlproducts.net/ProductRotoFlow.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39446.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1660125  
Old 09-10-2011, 05:55 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: RotoFlow clunkless fuel tank

Neat idea if the seals dont leak on the clunk after time. They also have some other cool items .Thanks for sharing this one
Old 09-10-2011, 06:06 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks heavy as hell, I notice they don't post the weight, only the over inflated price. I think I will stick with soda pop bottles.

Bob
Old 09-10-2011, 06:20 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like an engineering student got bored and created a solution to a problem that does not exist. A properly set up standard tank does not foam, does not get the clunk stuck forward, does not leak, and does not bubble.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

The idea of just putting in a bag inside the tank was taken already.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:42 AM
AmishWarlord

New Du-Bro miracle tanks!

Thanks to an elastic tube mounted to the pick up weight you can now do away with sealed aircraft bearings, complicated rotating apparatus, and high prices.

The new fuel tubed clunk system can be your's for only $6.19 for a 16 oz. tank as apposed to $35 from a competitor. Buy five tanks and still pocket some change!!!

Warning, clunked tanks may be susceptible to foaming, clunk jams, and bubbles if tank is not packed in foam and set up per instructions.

Name:	Sq47151.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1660171  
Old 09-10-2011, 06:58 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem I see with it is that there is no way to add a second interal line for fueling/emptying the tank on cowled engines. Also it is pricey and I question reliabiltiy.

Bruce
Old 09-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A much better wheel. The web page no longer works or I would have posted the video again. A couple years back someone posted a video from Germany. The idea was to show people what the fuel in your tank does during flight. A tank was hard mounted up by the fire wall on the outside of the plane, a camera was mounted onto the wing tip facing the tank. The video was a split screen so you could see what stunts the plane was doing and at the same time watch the fuel tank. It was an eye opener, I never thought the fuel moved around in the tank that much. Better yet, it showed the fuel we have today doesn't foam up due to vibration. Hard mounted up front and not a lick of foam. Guess the anti foaming agents they use in the fuel really do something.
Anyway, those really are cool tanks but due to the fact I have never had any real tank problems I will stick with the old stand by. Take a look at the bottle tanks sensi makes up and how he sets up the fuel line itself, very cool. I used to make mine with shampoo bottles but pretty much anything will work.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:49 AM
AmishWarlord

Hey Bob, post some pics of your pop bottles!!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 AM
sensei

Here is one of my soda pop bottle tanks, I think the whole thing weighs 1.5 ozs. http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...39/Ql33302.jpg You can see more pics in this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5153525/tm.htm
Bob
Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: sensei

Here is one of my soda pop bottle tanks, I think the whole thing weighs 1.5 ozs. http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...39/Ql33302.jpg You can see more pics in this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5153525/tm.htm
Bob
cool pop bottle tank !
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And when your setting up any type of the normal cheap tanks you too can install a length of brass tube in the center of your pick up line so that dreaded stuck fuel line can't happen. Bungs will loosen and harden over time but for $2.00 you can buy a new one. Pop bottle caps just screw on and a cheap O-ring can be used so they don't ever loosen up. Lot of ways to skin that cat. No real reason to be paying through the nose for a fuel tank.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Oberst
Banned

I see more things that can go wrong with that thing down the road. No thank you, I'll stick with the basic on this one. JMHO

Pete
Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

So, how do you set this up for uni-flow? If you add a secondline tied to the pick-up for the muffler pressure it would get wrapped aound the axle.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 AM
AmishWarlord

Muffler pressure? That's to simple. I'd say as Perry pump and carb in conjunction with a header tank are in order here.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

I don't fly 3D so a header tank would offer nothing. However I set up most of my tanks as uniflow which is not possible here. I would say a bladder tank would be better and there is no need, nor way to set up uniflow on a bladder tank, but I don't like filling bladder tanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Ed_Moorman

This is an old, old idea from many years ago. I remember seeing something like this in the 1950s. It turned out that flexible fuel tubing was easier, cheaper and worked as well.

I also question how long the fitting would rotate after glow fuel had been after it for a year or so, especially if the tank was left over the winter. These would probably be good for gasoline.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 PM
huck1199

Ed had the same concern I had - gumming up of the rotating sleeve.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:30 PM
AmishWarlord

Oh I'm sure they are like Great Planes fuel tanks and must be replaced every year with a new one.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
AmishWarlord

This reminded me of a system I saw in a Tips and Tricks book.

You take the clunk and solder it on to a length a brass tubing that is 1/4 inch from the back of the fuel tank and 1/2" to the tube sticking out of the bung. You use fuel tubing to connect the clunk "wand" to the bung tube. Worked great. I had forgotten about it.

Name:	Qo41432.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1661370  
Old 09-12-2011, 02:57 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Oh I'm sure they are like Great Planes fuel tanks and must be replaced every year with a new one.

With all due respect AW if you would try Hayes tanks I think you will find that problem a thing of the past.

One thing that subject tank has that is long over due is the "O" ring type plug and its a double. Been using mostly Hayes tanks for about eight years now and they are far more reliable than any of the expansion bung types.

No idea how the rotating pickup works but I love it when folks think outside the box, If not we would not have most of the wonderful inovations we all enjoy today. Thanks for posting the link SigMan.

Even the single Hayes "O" ring tanks are far better and I use them almost exclusively save for some Tetra Bubbless on appropriate airplanes. Heck I don,t do a whole lot with gassers but I do have two 50 cc ships and even use the Hayes with them.

John
Old 09-12-2011, 03:15 PM
AmishWarlord

Thanks for the recommend John. I'll try one on my next glow plane.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:11 AM
ivyspoppy

THe guy that invented it is in my club, and he has been flying the for several years and no problems. I see him at the flying field for 2 years and the work w gas glow and smoke w no problems.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: ivyspoppy

THe guy that invented it is in my club, and he has been flying the for several years and no problems. I see him at the flying field for 2 years and the work w gas glow and smoke w no problems.
We know how much they cost, how much do they weigh?

Bob
Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Harold Debolt sold an all brass round tank with a rotating pickup under his Demeco product line.
That was in the 50's or 60's. Corrosion eventually would cause the pickup to seize up. There was
no extra weight on the rotating pickup; just one brass tube sliped over another brass tube.
So this idea is not new, and I agree with several of the other people, Hayes tanks are simple
very reliable, strong enough that they often survive crashes, and relatively cheap. Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.