Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

engine starts backwards

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

engine starts backwards

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 AM
geno57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine starts backwards

my evolution .46 has a bad problem of starting backwards.has good compression and power and starts easily.would appreciate some helpfull ideas.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: engine starts backwards

It's flooded. See if you can reduce the amount of prime you give it
Old 09-16-2011, 02:57 AM
jetmech05

a glow will start backwards easily....get an electric starter...works well especailly on cold mornings
Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

A properly set up engine, sufficiently choked will do this regularly. Mine does. I start it with a back flip against compression. One flip starts are cool. <grin><grin></grin>
Old 09-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. I first saw an experienced builder / flyer do that years ago. I was watching him prime the engine, after which he attached the glow starter. Then he held the prop backwards against compression for maybe 10 seconds, rotated a half turn in the direction of rotation, and then he grabbed the spinner. In what looked like a nonchalant backwards filp, he snapped the prop backwards with the spinner and the engine fired and started in the proper direction.

Took me about two tries to decide I could do that. I do roughly the same now with my Moki 1.80 - but I use a length of half inch plastic water pipe to push the big prop backwards against compression.

Use the feature to your advantage!
Dave Olson
Old 09-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Back flipping works, electric startes work but sometime just fattening up the engine a little works too. When I choke one of my engines they make a certain sound, a squishing sound that tells me they are ready to fire. If the engines have been run that day finger back snapping works very well, sometimes during the winter not so well. I always have an electric starter on hand for those days when nothing works.