Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine Mounting Question !!!!!!!!!!!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine Mounting Question !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2003, 05:24 AM
DragonHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Mounting Question !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

Can someone just tell me if its ok to do the following.

Im trying to mount a OS46LA engine onto a GP SuperSports Star 40 plane, ive had to build a 1/4"engine spacer from plywood to push the engine further forward as via the instructions so it sticks out the right amount, but even with that its still about 2mm short, and the backplate of the spinner will rub the fuse.

Is it ok to replace the Thrust Washer on the engine with another washer exactly the same diamator but a bit thicker ? as this would be ideal. Or do you suggest i sand down the front of the plane by the amount but of course i will need to recover. Or can anyone suggest any other method i could use !!!!!!!!!!!

Also when mounting the engine to the mount what it the main difference between bolts and screws, can i use a screw with the right thread and force it into the mount with lock washers and flat washers or a spring washer as it seems very secure with the screws in,as the heads on the bolts provided seem very week and allways wear before i can screw them in properly.

Any help would be appreciated Thx
Old 08-20-2003, 04:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can simply place a washer or two between the engine mount and the firewall to bring the engine forward a bit.

And yes, Bolts with locknuts/washers will work fine.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:23 PM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolts

Try minnflyer's suggestion on moving the whole engine forward. He's always got good suggestions. I've done the same with a plywood spacer sandwiched between the firewall and the engine mount. 1/8 plywood sounds like it might meet your needs. Just drill a new set of holes and stick it in there.

For mounting the engine to the mount, I'm using socket bolts with washers and nylon insert locknuts. 8/32 and 6/32 for most engines seems good. Much easier to install these bolts with a ball driver than using the stock sheet metal screws that come with the engine mounts.

I've bought several collections of these fasteners now at www.rtlfasteners.com.

Waagbuck
Old 08-20-2003, 05:28 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Waagbucks suggestion is right on the money. I meant to mention a piece of plywood also.