Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Space Ship Two launch from White Knight 2

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Space Ship Two launch from White Knight 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
glowfrogger
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Space Ship Two launch from White Knight 2

So, I know there is a bit of discussion regarding the AMA 2005 regulation, but would it be legal to launch a separately controlled, rocket-powered model of spaceship two from a white-knight model in the United States? This is, of course, without an air show permit thing....

The idea would be ignition from the white knight model to reduce the weight of a microcontroller or other ignition system.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 PM
huck1199

Default RE: Space Ship Two launch from White Knight 2

What is a 'spaceship two'?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 PM
glowfrogger

Virgin Galactic's little project:

[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceShipTwo]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceShipTwo[/link]

I suppose I should clarify this is a self-designed, and, if things work out, built model. I'm trying to apply full-sized aircraft physics scaled down so it is a bit awkward.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are talking about launching a separately controlled RC model from another model, there's nothing wrong with that. Glider pilots do it that way sometimes. But the AMA safety code does not allow any kind of pyrotechnics, so a rocket motor might be a no no. A close reading of the safety code should answer that question.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM
glowfrogger

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

If you are talking about launching a separately controlled RC model from another model, there's nothing wrong with that. Glider pilots do it that way sometimes. But the AMA safety code does not allow any kind of pyrotechnics, so a rocket motor might be a no no. A close reading of the safety code should answer that question.
Thanks, that's what I'm wondering about. It specifies rockets that do not leave the fuselage of the aircraft are allowed; but is this is leaving the main model and stating inside the smaller model. I know I've seen similar things done with an x-10 (or something) model off a b52, but I want to make sure I can legaly do this.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:19 AM
jbdismukes

With all the hullabaloo about yesterday's arrest of the terrorist planning Pentagon attacks using RC aircraft, it might be wiser to put this project on the shelf for now.

Jack

Old 09-30-2011, 06:19 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

If we all stop doing what we want and are free to do then the terrorists win.If he wont break any laws than there is no reason not to do as he planned.There is no need to stop living free lives because of something we hear in the news.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:52 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are flying line of site, yes..... if you will be flying it FPV/UAV style then NO
Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mac Hodges'(?) B-29 lets loose a Bell X-1 as an airshow routine... well... routinely!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I believe the AMA just doesn't want you launching un-guided rockets from model airplanes, as this is potentially very dangerous. As long as it is controlled by another pilot w/ a transmitter so its trajectory can be controlled, i dont think their would be any problems with it. afterall, mac hodges has been doing it with his B-29 and X1 routine for years
Old 09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
jbdismukes

mighty9, you are totaly correct. I should have expanded my statement to add, " why give the feebs something to harass you about?"

Jack
Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You also don't have to always fly from an AMA field. I have video of a V-I being launched at a lake bed. More od a crash and burn but you get the idea. I have also seen video of the Hodges B-29 launching the Bell. Both planes are under control so legal to do.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

You also don't have to always fly from an AMA field. I have video of a V-I being launched at a lake bed. More od a crash and burn but you get the idea. I have also seen video of the Hodges B-29 launching the Bell. Both planes are under control so legal to do.

I agree. I don't think he'll have a problem if he is responsible. I also agree that he should see if the FAA clamps down on us because of what just happened with the FBI. I feel so sorry what the AMA has to do too protect us, I wouldn't want the job.

I watched a TV program about that, I think it was Discovery Channel. When are they going to attempt the real space flight? Anyone know?

Pete
Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Oberst

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I agree. I don't think he'll have a problem if he is responsible. I also agree that he should see if the FAA clamps down on us because of what just happened with the FBI. I feel so sorry what the AMA has to do too protect us, I wouldn't want the job.

I watched a TV program about that, I think it was Discovery Channel. When are they going to attempt the real space flight? Anyone know?

Pete
Watching it live on the big screen was really cool. I thought it was lost when it started rocking then found out it ws designed to do that. If it would have been me flying that critter they would have had to surgely had to remove the seat to get the cushion out of my butt.