Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OS .91 problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Jim Elliott
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .91 problem

Can't get my OS .91 to maintain idle. I am pretty sure ignition is ok and fuel flow is also OK. I
am thinking it is low speed needle, but I can't get it set right. Now the engine won't even fire. Unfortunately I don't have a book since I acquired this used from a friend. If I have to send it back to a repair station which one do I send it to? Horizon maybe? Thanks, Jim.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:29 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: OS .91 problem

Send OS to Hobbico (Tower), not Horizon
Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Manual is available online, check Towerhobbies.com website.

Set engine to factory settings (will say in the manual what they are, for low and high needles).

Set low end adjustment by watching idle RPM. Use a tachometer. Advance to high throttle, drop to idle, watch RPM for ~20sec. Idle should stay the same. If it increases, your low end is lean. If RPM decreases, low end is rich.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 AM
jetmech05

how's the glow plug? If you've been trying to start it over and over again you could have burned the plug out.....sounds like you have the motor so out of tune as well....before sending the motor out is there a good engine guy around to help you?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Manual is available online, check Towerhobbies.com website.

Set engine to factory settings (will say in the manual what they are, for low and high needles).

Set low end adjustment by watching idle RPM. Use a tachometer. Advance to high throttle, drop to idle, watch RPM for ~20sec. Idle should stay the same. If it increases, your low end is lean. If RPM decreases, low end is rich.
Sorry, manuals at osengines.com, not tower:
http://www.osengines.com/manuals/
Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pull up the instructions as Joe mentioned. Most the time it's just a simple thing like being out of tune or the glow plug is weak. If it runs with the igniter on the engine and dies as soon as you remove it then you know it's the plug. If the engine was running correctly when you got it then it's the plug. If you were twisting the low end needle it's probably out of tune too. Read up about your new engine and if you still have a problem try to find help as Jet mentioned before you send the engine in for service. I have had as much trouble with an engine after it came back from service as before I sent it in. That's when I started doing my own work on them. That was years ago but I don't think they test run them after a repair because I have gotten them back from Hobbico with the same problems as I had when I sent them in. Look for help first.