Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

K&S Streamline Tube Specs?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

K&S Streamline Tube Specs?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Orracle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&S Streamline Tube Specs?

Hey guys

Can anyone tell me what alloy K&S use for their streamline aluminium tubing? Ihave searched everywhere and cannot find any specifications on their tubing other than the width and length it is sold in.

Iwould ideally like to know:

Major and minor axis sizes (Ithink all the sizes stated as diameter are referring to the minor axis, 1/4", 1/2"...etc)
Wall thicknesses of the tubing
Alloy used, 6061, 6063 etc.

And thats about it, with that information Ican work out if it will be strong enough for my design. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:51 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: K&S Streamline Tube Specs?

Orracle,
I measured the four sizes I have, but my calipers may not be 100% accurate.
Called major dimension minor dimension
3/4" .736" .265"
5/8" .618" .273"
3/8 .375" .187"
1/4" .252" .127"
I measured wall thickness at 0.013 to 0.015". Hard to be exact with the burrs on the ends from where I cut them off.
I don't know what the alloy is, but the tubing is very soft and not very strong in my opinion. I would not use it for seroius structural purposes unless it was in tension. I used a lot of it for wing and tail struts on a 1/10th scale Handley-Page O-400, but in each case I inserted either a wood dowel, or all-threaded rod for added strength. I glued the dowel or all-threads in with polyurethane expanding glue.
Chuck
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Crash-RCU

When I use K&S streamline tubing I epoxy a close fitting carbon fiber rod inside, that gives it incredible strength.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Lnewqban

Welcome to RCU!!!

You may learn the alloy by contacting the manufacturer:

http://www.ksmetals.com/ContactUs.html

[email protected]
Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Orracle

ORIGINAL: R8893

Orracle,
I measured the four sizes I have, but my calipers may not be 100% accurate.
Called major dimension minor dimension
3/4" .736" .265"
5/8" .618" .273"
3/8 .375" .187"
1/4" .252" .127"
I measured wall thickness at 0.013 to 0.015". Hard to be exact with the burrs on the ends from where I cut them off.
I don't know what the alloy is, but the tubing is very soft and not very strong in my opinion. I would not use it for seroius structural purposes unless it was in tension. I used a lot of it for wing and tail struts on a 1/10th scale Handley-Page O-400, but in each case I inserted either a wood dowel, or all-threaded rod for added strength. I glued the dowel or all-threads in with polyurethane expanding glue.
Chuck
Thanks for all the quick replies and thank you Chuck for taking the time to measure your own tubing! I think regardless of the alloy they are made from, the 0.015" wall thickness is a little to flimsy to use on its own, however the recommendation of using a dowel or carbon fiber rod to reinforce it may be a possible solution.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:13 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The .015 wall thickness is really not a problem, but the O condidtion aluminum is. Way too soft to be structural.

Les