Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What comes after a Trainer?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What comes after a Trainer?

Old 04-16-2002, 10:03 PM
dq2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What comes after a Trainer?

I have been told by dozens of helpful flyers that my next plane should be the H9 ultra stik but god it is ugly. I am currently flying a tiger trainer and I really like scale planes. Is there a good scale plane that would be a logical next step from a trainer or is the stik the only logical choice?
Old 04-16-2002, 10:25 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

I trained a guy on an Tiger trainer, then he went to the Tower voyager, now he's flying a Extra 300 40 size. I feel that if you have an instructor you closely work with, you could go from the trainer to a scale plane, but have the instructor on a buddy cord with you until you get used to it. Daz...
Old 04-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Blackie

Give this one a look at.

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/qua...em=23&mitem=52

Randy
Old 04-16-2002, 11:51 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Find plane that looks good to you then buy it. Don't let people tell you what you should buy. Just make sure that you set the throws by the book and you will do just fine.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:56 PM
DF_Flyer

One of my students built a Sig Four Star .60 for his second plane. It is a very stable flyer and he has no problem handling it.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:31 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

yeah i agree sig something extra or four * make great second planes, i dont agree with getting any scale plane that looks good to you. flying r/c planes and learning to fly them takes time, not months, but years, after just mastering a trainer get something a little more challenging but not over your head. some of the ugliest planes fly the best
Old 04-17-2002, 07:08 PM
DF_Flyer

Also, I'm not sure if Sig still makes their Kommander or Kavalier, but they used to tout them as an intermediate plane. My Kommander flew great, and it was pretty maneuverable. I retired it when I got the need for low wing planes.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:48 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Look for a plane with a semi-symmetrical wing, or at least a thick symmetrical wing. A shoulder wing would be best, but there are some low wings that will fit these parameters. Talk to other club members, see what they are flying. Some even might let you fly theirs, on a buddy box of course. Stick planes are ugly, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better second plane, I had one. I keep going back to them every so often, I have a gas powered one planned for next winter's building. Good luck.

Dave
Old 04-18-2002, 12:16 AM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig Four *

I would recommend the Sig 4* series. Actually a 4*60 would be ideal as you'll get into a larger plane and engine. It is very stable, glides vey well, and can do some good aerobatics. AND once your ready for a little more action, cut the wings down be trimming to the first set of ribs, from 71" to ~64" and it will be much snappier. Actually, if you dont want to invest in another engine, get the 4*40 (if still available?) and trim after a season or two (depending on how much you fly and your comfort level).

I started with a trainer, then got the 4*60, and after two seasons trimmed the wings....
Old 04-18-2002, 03:59 AM
3d-rookie

how about the world models super sports .40 or thunder tigers tiger sport .40L , i own both and to this day have transitioned 4 pilots from trainers to low wings with the super sports, the tiger sport 40L flies virtually identical. great planes for an even better price. but, just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:03 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I vote for the 4* or Goldberg Tiger 2.
Also, 3d-rookie mentioned the TT Tiger Sports 40L......nice flying plane with no bad habits.....and it seems to make aerobatics easier..but in my opinion, the construction of it leaves a little to be desired.

Mike
Old 04-25-2002, 12:49 AM
Flying Scotsman

Default Stick, Stick, Stick

My 2nd plane was a GP Ugly Stick 0.40 with an OS 50SX. I'm currently building a H9 Ultra Stick....Stick, I just love those beautiful burdz!
Old 04-25-2002, 01:34 AM
easy2fly
My Feedback: (3)

i have the tiger 2 for my second plane. its a great flyer and an easy to handle second model. i trained on an easy2
Jeff
Old 04-25-2002, 04:31 AM
RC Pilot56
My Feedback: (4)

My second plane was a Great Planes Big Stik (ugly stik) if you want to call it that, with a tower hobbies .46. I have over 500 filghts on it. It came covered with the peel and stick stuff they call covering. It now has more packaging tape than anything and I like flying it as much as my 27 percent Extra 300 that has a G-62 on it. I gave a new meaning UGLY with all the tape, but it will handle any kind of wind, rain or cold you can throw at it. This plane has been thru it all and did I mention it's UGLY but flies Great!
I am a flight instructor at my field and you wouldn't belive how many new pilots that choose their 2nd plane because of its looks. Find a plane with good flying habits (light wing loading, under 22 oz per ft.) and you can't go wrong. A good way to find the right plane is to make sure you have at least 100 sq. in. of wing area for each pound the plane weighs. If it weighs 7 lbs. you want at least 700 sq. in. of wing area or more. More wing area the lighter the wing loading. I have a Laser 200 with a 72 in. wing span and 882 sq. in. of wing area. The plane only weighs 5 lbs. and comes in with a wing load of 13.06 which makes it a kite. A very gentle flying plane but it can take no abuse. I land it so slow, one could walk faster than the plane on final and never have to worry about a tip stall.
After all that, I think a G/P Big Stik, a G/P Supersportster or a
Sig Something Extra are all excellent choices. Don't rush yourself. Like Shortman said it takes time and experience to master R/C Flying. Experience only comes with time however long it may take.
Good luck in whatever you choose.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:00 AM
rvd

I think a perfect second plane would be a cap or definitely a sukhoi. hehe just kidding

i aggree with RC Pilot56 The GP BigStik is a great flying plane. very stable aerobatic and tough. And it can hadle large engines.The supersportster is another excellent choice. perfect first low wing.

anyways i think you have enough advice here.
Old 04-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Warmonger

Default Duraplane Aerobat

Somewhat ugly, but makes up for it in flight. Also handles more like an extra/edge/cap including the hot landings...

Very hard to tear up (it took me about 4 or 5 HARD crashes to destroy it). and its only $59. After comfortable with this bird, scale flight will be no problem (except for the tail-dragger part).

Bad take-offs and landings will not damage it. Takes a full power crash to really hurt it.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXE587&P=7

They also make 2 more docile models...

HTH
Old 04-25-2002, 05:58 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default after trainer

My first one after my trainer was a Midwest Sweet n' Low Stick, then 2 Sig 4 Star 40's, then I can't remember, maybe a 40 size stick.

Sticks maybe ugly, but they fly well and can teach you aerobatics. If you want "scale", try a Cub or Decathalon.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:11 PM
mmorg1
My Feedback: (11)

RVD joked about using a cap as a good second airplane, but I taught my brother to fly on a model tech cap. It is a very predictable airframe and plenty strong. It does snap pretty hard when too slow.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:45 PM
rvd

Depending on the person's learning curve , you can teach people to fly on alot of different planes. I started flying with a Pheonix models Paragon sport trainer then about 3 weeks after i was on a 40size sukhoi with a .61 O.S . The plane is ridiculous to control.. The throws are insane (1 inch alieron travel with a 50inch double tapered wing)and it rolls probably 4 per second. I fly the plane inverted full throttle about 2 feet off the ground with full rates.That was my second plane and I still fly it now.. I have at least 200 flights on it, so it really depends on the person. I know guys that have been flying for 20 years that still find an extra300s very scary to fly. I let one of the members try my sukhoi the other day and this guy has been flying for years.. Let's just say he was sweating bullets after a few laps of the field it was just too snappy for him. There is another guy who has been flying for years also but he still can't fly a intermediate low wing. The guy can fly his trainer all day and never crash once but as soon as he takes up one of his low wings , within a few minutes it's scattered all over the field..

So it really depends on the person. I would suggest a stik or a sportster. They actually can be setup to fly very similar.. They are good to start low wing flying with.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:47 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

My second plane was a H9 1/4 scale CAP. I will not say that I recommend that you go this route, but it is possible. It really depends on YOU. If you have the greatest of confidence in your abilities, then go for it. I trained myself to fly and then moved on aggressively. I am now getting ready to start on a 33% AW Edge 540T.

I know what "THE ELDERS" are saying about people taking time to move up and I agree with that, UNLESS YOU HAVE THE ABILITY not just the desire.

I have only been flying for about 2 years now. I don't allways listen to "those guys at the field." I know they have lots of good info, but they can also make you feel limited. One example is when I was still flying the trainer, which I fly from time to time, a guy at the field told me a trainer was not meant to fly inverted which I was doing.

Let me ask a simple question..... How else do you know when you are ready to move up to a more capable plane unless yo find out what you can do with what you have?

Good Luck,
Jeff
Old 04-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Warmonger

I have only been flying for about 2 years now. I don't allways listen to "those guys at the field." I know they have lots of good info, but they can also make you feel limited.

Fly the pattern please! hehe
Old 04-25-2002, 11:27 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Default after the trainer get the quicky 500

since i learned to fly three years ago I have bought and sold 10+ planes looking for one that I really enjoy. I have gotten into funfly planes and really like them but I don't know If I could recomend one right after a trainer because a funfly ( hard core .32 size funfly) plane is designed for competition and may not be enjoyable to someone just looking to blast around.
Just a few months ago I purchased a used q500 for 75.00 bucks with and engine. I had to mound some radio gear and that was it. once it's off the ground it flies just like a trainer except alot faster. it is the smoothest plane I have ever flown. I can't tell you how many planes I over powered trying to make fast. This little thing is so fast with a small 40 K&B. The wing bolts on and off so it's easy to transport. it satisfys my need for speed. and it flies easy. I fly it till it's out of gass and then coast it in. I had to get used to the landings a few times because it would come in faster than expected but now it comes right in. I'm sure everyone will tell you not to consider a pllane like this for a second plane but how many of them own one......
If there is a guy at the field with one and you are friendly with him, ask him for a few laps and you'll see. You don't have to fly it a full throttle to enjoy it. If you look at my line below you will find a photo of the plane I'm talking about.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:11 AM
rvd

bugsiegel

i agree with you that quickie500's fly nice and coast in because I have one myself (dominator500). They are very fast yes! But that could be a reason for somebody not to have one as a second plane because remember this ----> the faster the plane usually the faster you can get in trouble and have less time to correct.. as for the flight characteristics well they are stable and come in nice but the speed might be a little too overwhelming for somebody coming off a trainer.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:28 AM
RC Pilot56
My Feedback: (4)

I agree that it does depend on the persons ability. I went from a trainer to a stik in 2 months. then to a 1/4 scale Laser 200 after another 2 or 3 months, then to a 27 percent Extra 300 with a
G-62 before my first year. So ability to learn is a big part of things. The only thing is once your off the buddy cord you should be confident enough with yourself to know what you are capable of flying.
Huey
Old 04-26-2002, 02:27 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

it also depends on how much money you have...hehe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.