Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

making a Y harness

Old 10-18-2011, 07:38 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default making a Y harness

i need a Y harness and i want to make one out of a bunch of short leads i have ,how would i do this ,thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: making a Y harness

I'm assuming you're asking about a SERVO "Y harness":

Take one male servo plug and two female servo plugs. Strip all 9 wires about 1/4 inch. Solder the three black wires together. Then solder the three red wires together. Then solder the three orange wires together. Before soldering each set, make sure you put shrink tubing over the wires. Slip the shrink tubing over the soldered connection and heat it with a heat gun.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 AM
jetmech05

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would strip all the wires as stated above....but I would tin the wires with solder....make a hook out of each wire join them together per color...crimp the hooks down then solder the joint...do them by color..... in other words, don't try to joint all the wires together then solder them all...instead join all the whites and soder then all the reds etc etc
Old 10-19-2011, 03:14 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For a neater joint, do not put a hook on each wire and hook them together. Much better and more than strong enough is to just tin each wire, lay the three of each color side by side (with the tinned areas touching each other) then heat the combined wires to remelt the solder and and it will solder the three together with no big bulge at the joint. Usually no additional solder is required but a small amount on the tip of the iron as you reheat the joint will not hurt and may help. It helps to make a simple jig to hold the three wires in position when you reheat the joint to flow the solder together as you do not want it to move as the solder re solidifies. It also helps greatly to put a bit of rosin flux on the tinned wires as they lie together in the jig before reheating the combination.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:56 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've made several of my own 'Y' connectors using the process as stated above. No hooks. The wires arranged in a three wire cluster with the two common colored servo ends side by side and the same color receiver wire joining from the opposite direction. One unshrunk heat shrink over the paired servo ends (helps keep them together) and another larger heat shrink over the entire grouping. When the soldering is complete, shrink the heat shrink on the common colored joints and then slide the larger heat shrink over the entire group and shrink that sleeve to make a neat compact joint with all three connection captured inside.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is an example of a three way for a six engine airplane. Each side of the airplane is on different channels.

In this case one of the joints which is two way is tinned on each end and simply held along side each other and heated so the solder flows together (this is my normal method) and of course the previously slipped on shrink is slid over the joint and shrunk.

The other joints which are three way I twist the three leads carefully together before tinning and then solder. Then add the shrink over the end and shrink.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10593.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1676429  
Old 10-19-2011, 06:37 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models