Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

quick disconnect

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

quick disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick disconnect

Building a Pawnee with ailerons and Flips. I'm looking for a way to quickly connect and disconnect them. Using Y-Harness now and its to confusing and too many wires pluging and unpluging all those wires in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dick
Old 11-01-2011, 04:01 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: quick disconnect

Try color coding your connections, red-red blue-blue ect.

bhady
Old 11-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run two short extensions from my RX and have one of them colored coded with paint to the right aileron wire and the other one is left blank. Just a daub of paint does the trick. My trainer has a Y and is left on the wing, it just plugs into the ch. #1 extension. The extension is glued to the top of the cabin on the fuse. Plug in/plug out.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Flyin Beagle
My Feedback: (1)

I agree, I have used colored electrical tape as well as colored zip ties, It makes it easy. My Giant scale plane has connectors on the ailerons that will only fit the correct side. I have no idea where you can get them as they came with the plane that when I bought it used, but they do exist.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:39 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

If your Ys stay with the wing and not the fuse, then it's only two connection.

David
Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 PM
skeeter_ca

I was planning on a six servo wing for a sailplane and wanted only one plug to deal with. Would these plugs from radio shack work good? Do you think the connections would be sufficent?

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...goryId=2032286

skeeter
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 AM
KW_Counter

I am dealing with the same issue on a wing with flaps & ailerons on each side.
I have ordered some balancing plugs, male & female, with pigtails from Radical RC.
Each wing needs a +, -, and two signal wires. A 3S balance plug will work.
Then you only need to plug in two wires.
You could also use a 5S and have one plug.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
KW_Counter
Old 11-05-2011, 10:52 AM
carrellh

The Radio Shack connectors should work. It appears they have clips to hold them together.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
TEBerg

Hey Skeeter and Cotman,

I tried using the "Molex" plugs/connectors on my warbird. Have to hook up ailerons, flaps, gear and bombs...

The molex plugs did not come Gold Plated and after a couple of flights I was getting real bad "jitters" in the wing controls (flaps showed the worst). The plugs were from a good electronics store, I figured they would work great... Nope[]

I switched back to gold-plated aileron extensions and added color markings on each lead - no more problems and it is not that big a deal to plug in 4 instead of just one.

I spoke with another scale guy who said that the "regular" (not gold) electronics connectors either get corosion fast or do not hold up well to the vibrations. Even with a clip to secure the plug, they developed the glitching..

So, just from my experience - you can't go wrong with gold aileron extensions and I'm not trying the Molex experiment again.

Tom
Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gentlemen,
Colored tape works well for me too but I seem recall a company that was selling a multiple plug adapter for RC applications. I think it was Thunderbolt RC
Thunderboltrc.com ...

Hope this helps,
paul
Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM
matadco

I too use colored coded striping tape to each lead. Red to red alerons, blue to blue retract, white to white flaps. As to flaps and alerons, using a Y is the simplest because it really does not matter which servo lead it is connected to provided you mount the servos arms opposing each other or are facing each other. The same is true to flaps, the arms should be on the same side of the servo when mounted. With the retracts though, there is only one lead and just insure it is plugged into the right receiver connection. Then there is the situation where you have alerons on separate channels. Then you need to color code the leads to the receive to insure they are in the correct connection on the receiver. Other wise you may have to reverse the servos to insure left is left and right is right. Then there is always the fact that I don't understand the quesstion and this is TMI.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:55 PM
skeeter_ca

To bad you had the problems with those plugs. I hoping for a good experience with them. Guess i'll just stick with the normal way till something better and proven comes along.

skeeter
Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I use Deans 4 pin connectors in the sailplanes. One pin for + one for - and the remaining 2 pins for signal. Can operate 2 servos per plug and they are polerized.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

D-sub connectors from Radio Shack are great for connecting multiple servo leads at once.

Rick
Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 PM
jetmech05

I used a piece of masking tape and wrote on the wire what it was....worked good on my P-47 with retracts, flaps and gear.....
Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 PM
JeffinTD

Non-gold plated connectors are usually only good for a few plug/unplug cycles.

I use a digital label maker on my leads, but the other option I would consider, Hanson hobbies carries tools and components to make your own servo leads that are of higher quality than the components I've bought from LHS.

In addition to the 1x3 housings typically used on servos, they have a full range up to 1x10 or 2x5 that accept the same gold plated pins. The downside to that would be sleeves are only available for the 1x3.

They do also have red and blue sevro connector housings in addition to black.

Personally, just using a label maker works best for me.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:14 AM
jimmac

I don't know how available these are in the USA but Multiplex plugs have six connctors so you can use the to connect multiple servo's with the least amount of plugs.
http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/cata...oducts_id=7822
Jim.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 PM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

The Multiplex connectors are available in the US and they would foot the bill for your connections. I have them in my jet which has twin booms....so coming through each wing to be connected is 1 aileron, 1 flap, 1 elevator and 1 rudder. By using the multiplex 6 pin connector I have the ailerons and flap on one and the rudder and elevator on the other. 2 plugs and it's done. Just so there is no confusion of which plugs to which, 1 pair uses the positive side of the plug, and the other pair uses the negative side.