Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gyro in Airplane ??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gyro in Airplane ??

Old 06-25-2006, 07:48 PM
drumgod
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro in Airplane ??

All,

I have been playing around with Real Flight G3 and I really like the Gyro that is installed in the Yak 55. I have an electric E-Filght Edge 540 and I would like to be able to install a gyro and use it on my elevator and rudder. Im looking for basic info on how to do this. I have installed gyros in helis before, but not airplane.

I need to know 1st if its even possiable. Maybe what type of gyro to use, brand, and tips on installing and configuration..

TIA

Drumgod .. .. . . .
Old 06-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Blues.man5
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Gyro in Airplane ??

I have used them on rudder but not on elevator. Not sure that's necessary. I have one on my Pitts to tame the tail on taxi and take off.
You just put it in line of the rudder servo. Then play with the gain until you get the effect you want. Like it in the Pitts.
Good Luck
Old 06-25-2006, 09:43 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Gyros do not belong in airplanes. Learn to fly the plane....if you want to use a gyro, get a heli.

Just my opinion. (If you just want to watch a plane fly, why go to the trouble of buying one?)
Old 06-25-2006, 11:06 PM
nickj

I agree with agexpert, however I actually do enjoy just watching planes fly. I like building them more, though, so I might as well watch my own as anyone else's. Plus, when I watch other planes fly, they don't always do what I want them to. Mine generally do what I want.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:20 AM
kahn41

I agree with post # 3 and 4 gyros will teach you some bad habits! learn to fly without it! Learn the rudder on your own...
IMHO
Greg
Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 PM
ws61000hp

WOW, ALL YOU DORKS REALLY DIDNT ANSWER DRUMGODS QUESTION.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:30 AM
flyinsolo11

Back off man- post number two answered it perfectly. Other people are just giving him their opinions- might make the man a better pilot in the end. Grow up too...

wow...
Old 04-25-2008, 05:27 AM
jetmech05

I have to agree...a gyro isn't needed..learn to fly without a crutch...you'll be a better pilot for it
Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Having a few gyros laying about (good ones too) and nothing better to do one weekend I installed two of them on a Funtana and did some experements.

Bear in mind I have a fair amount of time playing with gyro setup.

The results, while an improvement, were no where near how that Yak on the sim flys with a dual axis gyro.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:49 PM
ws61000hp

F U FLYINSOLO. FAAAGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

'ws61000hp'

Grow Up your last reply was uncalled for, and only demonstrated your lack of maturity and intelligence, I'm ashamed to think that someone like yourself is even in this great sport, I am hopeful that you are not, and maybe you are just a rude spectator on RC Universe.

Get a life, if you can't play nice , play elsewhere.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 PM
jorgeneo560

gyro on airplanes is only used when its a flying wing or vtol aircraft, or an unstable model, anyway i am reserching this becouse i wanna try to build a foam vtol aircraft, and the gyros whil be only on in take off and vertical landing, nothing more
Old 11-06-2011, 03:58 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

A gyro on the rudder is almost standard equipment in scale competition now. My flying buddy has one on his AT-6. Not allowed in IMAC competition.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 PM
scooterinvegas

I have a nice kit built 73" P-38. Been thinking about putting a CC board in it with full 3 axis gyros to fly-by-wire. If I lose a motor, the CC board WILL go to full throws to keep it level and save the plane.

But for sport flying, no, gyros are not needed IMHO.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: agexpert

Gyros do not belong in airplanes. Learn to fly the plane....if you want to use a gyro, get a heli.

Just my opinion. (If you just want to watch a plane fly, why go to the trouble of buying one?)

+1

Gyros are a cheating device for people who don't know how to use a rudder. I've seen a few crashes as a result of the gyro because they either forgot to turn it off or on at the right time. It's better not to have it in my opinion.

Pete

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Oberst

ORIGINAL: agexpert

+1

Gyros are a cheating device for people who don't know how to use a rudder. I've seen a few crashes as a result of the gyro because they either forgot to turn it off or on at the right time. It's better not to have it in my opinion.

Pete

To each is entitled an opinion, but to say :"using a Gyro is cheating" is wrong; I use them exclusively on the Rudder of all my Tail Dragging Warbirds; I will agree, that if you don't turn the Gyro Off once in the air it can cause a problem, but no different then dumb Thumbs or Reversing the Ailerons; crashing is bad, but equally, Planes are ruined or damaged when an unruly Tail Dragger Ground Loops into the Pilot Barriers or wipes out on rollout; however, this is eliminated with the use of a Gyro; if Gyros were so wrong then why are they allowed at Scale Events? I do know how to use the rudder and can so proficiently on all my other Planes including my 3D planes; but I'm not going to risk an expensive Scale Warbird that I have put a ton of time and money into only to lose in on Takeoff when the simple use of a Gyro would have prevented such a mishap.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:27 AM
BarracudaHockey

Its a hobby, we wouldn't be anywhere near where are today if people didn't try stuff that was out of the main stream.

If you want to try it, give it a shot.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been building and flying models for 58 years, the last 38 years they are RC. I know how to use the rudder. In the last year I have been trying out gyros on the rudder of tail draggers and found they work very well. Cross winds and short coupling of the the tail on a plane are not a challenge with a gyro. Gyros are as much cheating as those who takeoff cross run way so that they can takeoff into the wind or use dual rates and expo to tame their thumbs.

Bruce
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Oberst
Banned

Learn how to fly and you won't need a stinking gyro. Pilots who fly by the seat of their pants are better than those who depend on gadgets to help them fly. If people can't handle prop torque or crosswinds, then it's my suggestion they need more sim or trainer time.

I have not ever used one and won't. That's why I haven't crashed on a maiden yet and can handle every plane without any aid so far.

At my club we strongly suggest not using one, and try to teach people to fly so they themselves have full control of their aircraft at all times. I can't tell you how many times people forget they have the gyro on while flying and suddenly loose control because the rudder is trying to keep the plane upright and the pilot struggles to bank or turn.

I think the smart thing is if you can't handle the plane you're flying, then don't fly it until you know you can handle it safely. To me the gyro takes the fun out of true flying and to me it hinders important piloting skills. Like the man said, gyros are good for helicopters and that's where they belong.

Pete
Old 11-07-2011, 10:12 AM
landeck

Oberst, do you use dual rates or expo on your planes? If so you obviously have not learned to fly and should still be on a buddy box! Having seen the video of your Fokker D VII I think you would have benefited from a gyro on rudder on take off. I have maidened 7 planes in the last 4 years without a crash. In fact, I have not had a crash in the last 4 years - that is flying 3-4 times a week during flying season. The only crash I have had in the last 10 years was when a tree jumped in the way on a landing approach.[:@] I don't "fly" with a gyro, I use it on some tail dragger takeoffs and switch it off as soon as the plane leaves the ground. Don't knock it until you try it, you just might like it.

Bruce
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 AM
landeck

Oberst, you obviously do not understand how a gyro on a plane works. With the gyro in rate mode, you will see little if any effect from the gyro when you bank for a turn. In rate mode rolls will be a little more axial and other maneuvers smoother. If you bank a plane when in heading hold mode, the gyro does not try to keep the plane level, rather it makes it climb. Once in the air, a gyro in heading hold mode will fight you all the way while in rate mode it resists external forces on the plane but does not fight your commands. How do I know - because I have been experimenting with rudder gyros for the last year. My conclusion is that I like it for tail dragger takeoffs. I know from reading that those flying small foamies like gyros on ailerons because it makes the planes handle higher winds than it normally can. You should look into it. There is a lot of interesting things going on with people experimenting with gyros on planes. Also of note is that JR has just released their first gyro intended for airplanes.

Bruce
Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 AM
BarracudaHockey

Well I don't "need" a blu-ray or HD tv, but I much prefer watching movies with them than an old tv with a VCR tape.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 PM
acejinx

I put a cheap gyro in the tail of my F4U Corsair. I love it. It has so much adverse yaw that I needed to use the rudder a lot in flight anyway, but the gyro really straightened out the takeoff and landings. My gyro just stays on all the time. I don't really notice it in the air. I am not new at this, and I think the gyro is cool.

I would be carefull with the p-38 though, my problem with having a automatic yaw control with a multi engine plane is that if you do have an engine failure you could be dangerously close to a Vmc rollover without realizing it. If you backed yourself into that corner I don't think you'd be able to get out of it.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 PM
loadthis
My Feedback: (3)

Wow,
It's too bad that after 20 posts nobody hase answered the OP's question. Just a lot of sandy V's and closed minds. If I new how to install one and set it up I would answer the OP.
For the "purists", I hope you don't use cruuise control on your cars as that would be cheating. You should learn proper foot control.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how one would fly an RC plane by the seat of their pants. Last time I checked there is no feel in a model aircraft.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:41 PM
jorgeneo560

other question, helis gyro can work on airplanes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.