Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wierd servo throws.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wierd servo throws.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:16 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd servo throws.

I have a .40 size profile plane and it has a duel aileron setup with one servo on "aileron" and the other on "aux 1."
When the ailerons are centered, a tiny movement of the aileron/elevator will make the right aileron (from the front) move a centimeter or so. When I fly, it messes up my aileron trim and while the plane still flys, it never flys straight. What should I do???
Old 11-10-2011, 04:57 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wierd servo throws.

Relace them with digitals.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's using a sledge hammer to crack open an egg.

More info is needed. Tx brand and model. Rx brand and model. Servo brand and model. Battery voltage and capacity. That'll be a good start.

Connections: My Spektrum DX7 requires that the pilot's right aileron servo be attached to the Rx's aileron channel (1) and the pilot's left aileron servo is attached to one of the outboard channels (names change - I think AUX1 in my case too). So, make sure that pilot's right aileron is connected to the Rx aileron channel.

Mixing: Can be problematic as some mix numbers work better than others for ensuring that they both work in concert.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:59 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a lot of guys try setting up planes and never open the owners manual. I'm not saying this is your case. But get the manual and do a complete plane setup. And don't skip the model reset step. This removes some of those annoying little things left over from another model or a mistaken setup on this model. Then follow the setup in the manual step-by-step. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:40 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you considered putting both servos on a Y cord to the aileron channel? Or is that making life too simple?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:08 AM
WaffleMan

Okay. Here is some more info on my setup. It has hitec hs-425bbs in the ailerons connected to a spectrum ar-600 reciever. It has a 2000mah nimh flight battery. I have flown it on a used dx7 and a brand new dx8 and the problem occurs with both transmitters. The ailerons are plugged in correctly. I have never seen this happen before. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to use a y-harness because the plane could end up having reverse deflection like my electric yak does.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

have you tried swapping mis-centering servo for a one you know works?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:11 AM
WaffleMan

No, but the servo in question was brand new when put in the plane so unnless it was defected from the getgo it should not be the problem. However, I will look into your theory.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Just because a servo is new, doesn't mean it will work correctly and no 2 will operate the same. It seems to me you have a servo that won't center, which is actually a common problem in the less expensive servos. That's why the pattern and IMAC guys spend $150 per servo. Try another servo, or swap that one out with your throttle servo.

If the servo is drifting a neutral, you don't have any programming problem, just a servo with an issue.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:35 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Have you followed the: Servo-arm-lenght-to control arm rule?!

It is as follows!
The servo arm should be as short as possible and the controll arm as long as possible...And you should use as much trow you can on the radio! (Means 125% if we speak Spektrum language)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27111.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1685447  
Old 11-12-2011, 05:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Have you considered putting both servos on a Y cord to the aileron channel? Or is that making life too simple?
Replace your iPod with an 8 Track while you're at it!

(That was a joke, Mike and I are buds)
Old 11-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Ok, What's an Ipod??????

Now, I re read the original post, cause i thought I had missed something with all the programing responces. He is saying he has a servo that will not center. He moves it a little and it returns to different position at neutral. It doesn't match the other servo which is apparently returning to center more acuurately. He is not saying it tracks differently. If it is the centering thing, this is not a programming issue nor can it be programed out. It is just a servo issue. Cheap servos (sorry) do not center very accurately, for many reasons, and if this servo was working independently, it probably would never be noticed. The only cure is to replace the servo.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:49 AM
WaffleMan

Ok. I replaced the malfunctioning servo with a new one. The plane flies great.... If it were not for the fact that the bottom of an aileron came uncovered...