Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How far do you travel?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How far do you travel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: How far do you travel?

I belong to 3 Clubs, my closest home field is 8 miles, then next one, which is grass and a LOT of room to fly my 44% Giles is 53 miles and about an hour travel time. Then, for a good turbine field, I go 2.5 hours or 120 miles to fly my jets.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:12 AM
moparbarn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: bob8619

How far does everyone travel to get to their club? I'm on my way back into this hobby and the closest field is 40+ minutes away.
To me that seems a little far and that is going to potentially keep me from getting back to flying. []
My flying site is within 175 feet of my shop, pic below. Have another that's about 7 miles away. The nearest formal club is about 15 miles.

chuck, how ya been? i like your "field", i have one in my front yard also[8D]
Old 11-13-2011, 06:39 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bob8619

How far does everyone travel to get to their club? I'm on my way back into this hobby and the closest field is 40+ minutes away.
To me that seems a little far and that is going to potentially keep me from getting back to flying. []
In the summer (SE Wisconsin ) I belong to 3 clubs
Lake Land RC inc Oconomowoc 5 mi by road
Rubicon Aera Flyers Rubicon 20 "
Pebble Creek Flyers Waukesha 18 "
Winter in Arizona 2 clubs
Arizona Model aviators Apache Jct. 5 "
East Vally Aviators Apache Jct. 7 "
Guess I have it rather good.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Try this it may be a little out dated may 5 or 6 years since an update but it has most of the shanctioned fields in the world:

http://lmfc.de/402368-RCClubs.kmz <- Copy this line then click on upper URL and
past to serch maps line in Google maps.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:21 AM
sgtmonte

5 miles over country roads to a friends house or 26 miles to my local club. 

It really depends on who I want to interact with in the pits.

Either way, it's always a good time.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:02 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

I have my own field about 500 ft outside my door...IF I want to keep it mowed. But, use the local club field most of the time which is 15 miles away and I miss being with them.
More fun then being by yourself and the club has a hard surface runway and a real club house.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 AM
webuyrc

I travel 25 minutes to my club.  I used to travel over an hour.  It was frustrating but I took the whole day off every friday so that I could be there all day and then it wasn't so bad.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 AM
scaleman57
My Feedback: (23)

I give all you folks credit for your determination to persue something you love no mater how far you have to drive. Im very fortunateI fly in my back yard I have a lot of ground and alot of ground around my home.No pain in the arse neighbors griping about the noise,I fly mostly gas so they are fairly loud. I keep most of my birds all assembled so I just take them out of my shop and gas and fly.I really love it.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:18 AM
dreamwever

Hey BOB my field is 43 miles away thier is one closer but has no electric or anything. our field has elec, water .pot-a-john coverd awnings and a great bunch of guys and girls 600 ft cut runway on 40 ac, find one that suits you best good luck.  PS i live in the country.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 AM
vaca69

two clubs: 1) 10 miles, and 2) almost 20 miles with very bad way. Cons: 1) due to closer radio polution, too many glitches, even with 2.4 Ghz
Old 11-13-2011, 05:40 PM
barnstormers
My Feedback: (1)

I drive 35 minutes . most days I make a hole day out of it. 9am to 3pm as time allows.

BARNSTORMER
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Earthbound
My Feedback: (1)

I used to fly at the Sepulveda basin at the Appolo 11 flying field which is about 17 miles away but it's a zoo on weekends and I've had several mid-airs there and lotsa close calls but there's lots of great guys flying there and it's a great facility with solar powered charging stations and real bathrooms. Lately tho for the past couple years I've been flying mostly at the "Porta-Potty Pilots" club field right here in Sylmar. It's got a 400' paved runway and you can fly prettymuch anything butturbines andlarge scale fastheavy gas warbirds that must land long. It'sdown in a dry desert riverbed between 2 mountains and has been known to flood once in a while but it has ample parking, shelters& tables, a porta-potty (of course) but no AC. It's plenty enough for me andthere's a great crew ofregulars - areal cast of characters down there and it's never real crowded. I fly there 3 or 4 times a week. Best of all it's 6 minutes away frommy house. It's not for hacks or deadstickers so tune yer engine, use your timer and don't miss the runwayor yer gonna crash into a moonscape of cactus,rocks and rattlesnakes and that ain't pretty.