Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help - Looking for remote igniter & starter

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help - Looking for remote igniter & starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 10:00 AM
PlaneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Looking for remote igniter & starter

Hello... I am looking to install a onboard igniter and a on-board starter for my plane. I bought the H9 P51-Mustang 1.5 and will be using the Saito 1.8 engine.

Looking for somewhere on the internet to buy a starter for the engine and a igniter that is always hooked up. I understand that the igniter will go off after the throttle is advanced from idle.

I kinda like the idea of just putting the plane out on the field and pressing buttons all the way from there.

Any help in finding these parts is appreciated,

Joe
Old 08-24-2003, 11:56 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There use to be a company that made electric starters for our plane engines, but I'm not sure they're around anymore.

Onboard glow igniters are made by a couple of companies. I believe Tower sells at least one. A company called RAM makes a couple of good ones. (Sorry I don't have a link, but a Search should find them.)

I'm assuming from your questions and the plane, that you've been doing this for a while, right?
Dennis-
Old 08-24-2003, 01:22 PM
PlaneFlyer

Thanks for the input Dennis.

Just started the hobby this year. Sure is fun. I know I picked a big plane... it just looks so excellent. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Joe
Old 08-25-2003, 12:49 AM
DBCherry

What I meant was, you've learned on a trainer with an instructor, right?

That Mustang is going to be a handful if you haven't had quite a bit of time with a trainer and instructor. I don't think that's the type of "excitement" you had in mind. Costly entertainment to bring it home in a bag after 20 seconds.
Dennis-
Old 08-25-2003, 04:33 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Towerhobbies carry some ram products. I believe I saw an onboard igniter from them.

Also, I don't know your situation....but it sounds like you do not have enough experience to fly that Mustang safely. I would hate for you to tear up such a nice plane so soon.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:06 PM
PlaneFlyer

Well Dennis.... I am sorta new to the hobby... that is true. For what its worth, I can fly the big stick 40 plane with ease. Landings are always very good and so are take offs. I will fly the big stick 40 (with a 61 os on it) often in winds of 15 mph. I am not saying that I am well qualified, however, I believe I can take the mustang off and land it without to much incident.

I intend to fly it around gently and leave plenty of airspace while monkeying around with the flaps. My club has a small grass field, so I will have to use flaps to slow this bird down.

I realize it will be much different, however, there is a darn good flyer at the field, and he has helped much for my success so far, I intend to call upon his help with initial flights on the mustang.

Thanks all for your input and any additional input is surely welcome.

I have found the remote starter, and it doesn't work with the saito 1.8 so, I wil forgo the starter. Plus, I have sorta changed my mind on using a remote starter. Another guy at the club instructed me on how to make a remote hookup for the igniter to plug into. So, I will make that.

Joe
Old 08-27-2003, 01:15 AM
DBCherry

Joe,
Your experience sounds as though it should be okay for the Mustang. That H9 will be forgiving as far as warbirds go, but I still wouldn't let it slow down very much until you've really learned it's stall characteristics.

Solicit that guys help for your first flight, maybe even let him land it once so you can see what kind of speed he carries to the ground.

Good Luck,
Dennis-
Old 03-20-2004, 07:19 AM
KFS

Default RE: Help - Looking for remote igniter & starter

Hi,

My name is Kenny and enjoyed your question. I wonder if you ever got that P51 with the Saito 180 in the air?.
I am new to this forum area but there sure is some interesting articles. I, like you ,like the big ones and also
the scale. I started out with a Sig 4 star 120 with a Enya 120 engine. That was my trainer and it flew like
a kitten. I was very proud of it " First Built and flown. With the right help you can fly anything!!! Well at
this time I am putting together the Hanger 9 Cessna 182 150 What a ARF aircraft. I am putting every bell and
whistle on it I can afford. I wanted to mention, you could have installed a FEMA onboard starter. They
make one for a O.S. 120 and with a little modification I am sure it would have worked. I am using a
Saito Twin 180 in my Cessna and modifiying a FEMA O.S. 160 onboard starter. In fact I am looking at
installing the new pheumatic brakes by Robart. I do like the onboard igniter systems and remote refueling also.
which I did have on my Sig 4 star.

Well just a note to let you know there is someone else out here thinking " BIG " and Scale is better.
Have a nice one and hope to hear from you.

This Wisconsin weather better get better soon !!
Old 03-20-2004, 06:05 PM
RCJones

check c-tronics for the on board glow
Old 03-20-2004, 08:51 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check this out: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/fema.htm

It sounds like its what your'e looking for...