Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Telemetry and multiengines

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Telemetry and multiengines

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Telemetry and multiengines

I have sevral multiengine planes I will be flying next year. Wondering if any of the telemetry systems have the ability to indicate both engines' RPM, so that I can detect and engine out coming and WHICH one, thereby applying the proper rudder.
Thank you in advance.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:53 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Telemetry and multiengines

The Hitec full system which I do have an use on certain airplanes does have a port for RPM and two different kinds of sensors (hall effect magnetic and an optical sensor but I beleve only one imput in the readouts. However the system does have four temperature sensor that read simutaniously and can be used for any sensing you choose for instance you can use two of them for exhaust temperatures of both engines and you can use the other two for cylinder head temperatures.

These are read out on the cockpit screen of the Hitec Aurora transmitter. For this you do need the Hitec system and the Aurora.

There is an audable voice system to vocally read out selected information coming but not here just yet. This I am gleefully awaiting

Now for the bottom line I am sensing you have no multi experiance therefore the interest in systems to help you when you loose an engine and you will loose engines. Thats the whole point in flying multis, learning how to deal with it in flight and safely maintain control and fly the airplane to a landing.

As you sensed identification of which engine is out is the key to success. I do lot of mutli training and specifically engine out training. The very best way to deal with this is to find a mentor who knows how to handle an engine out situation and to practice this on a buddy box. This is done by short tanking and initially you first engine outs are done with 'known' engine out.

In other words you know which will quit and you have rehearsed the proper reactions. From this my students will progress to unknowns.

It does not matter how much experiance an individual has the required techniques to survive is not intuitive an not hard to do but you have to do it to survive.

This is my training system for multi engine I call the airplane the 'Oxy Moron' It features engines that are quickly adjustable for out thrust from zero to ten degrees out. This so I can taylor to the abilitys of the student.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21504.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1699886